Thread: Taking a personal retreat as Kaley

Taking a personal retreat as Kaley

In 2 weeks, I'm taking a 3 day, 2 night spiritual retreat as Kaley. I have done many retreats in the past in male mode, but this is the first as Kaley. I'm headed to a retreat center a few hours away which is run by two women ordained in the Ecumenical Catholic Communion. They are totally cool with trans-identifying people. I may meet with their spiritual director, and they also have a massage therapist on hand! Most of my time will be spent in reading, meditation, walks, and prayer. A lot of solitude, I think.

I'm trying to figure out what I should wear, mostly. That sounds so shallow, but I've never done this! I'd love input. I'll probably go with my long wig and just keep it tied in a low pony tail with a scrunchie. Advice on wig management? I get hot in it sometimes.

I've never been Kaley for 24 hrs straight, much less almost 48 hours. I'll probably have to shave 2x day, which stinks.

Do any of you have makeup tips for long wear? Setting spray? I'm going to keep it as light as possible.

I'll try to use as femme of a voice as I can, but that will be new also for so long.

Comfy shoes -- sandals I think.

Other advice?

I do love the refreshment that comes with these retreats, and I hope I can connect with God as Kaley. I've been praying a lot about my feminine side and what it means for me.

Kaley

Hi Kaley,

This sounds like a wonderful trip. Have a great time!!! I wish I could give you some suggestions but I am such a newbie, I wouldn't know where to begin. If you think about it, you have already made that spiritual connection.

Robin

Kaley,
    You’ll be spiritually blessed at this event if it is the catholic version of the one I did. I will warn though, you might not have time during the days to shave. Enjoy and be open to what you receive.

Collette

Sounds fun,make sure to paint your toenails

Relax and enjoy yourself. Don't stress out about how you look or what "others" think. You're there to refresh yourself.

That being said, yes you may have to shave 2 x day. Yes, it's a pain and at the end your face may be raw from the shaving and makeup removal. Be sure to moisturize daily!

Since you're going for more than an overnight, plan your wardrobe but keep it simple. I don't think you're going to need a ball gown or cocktail dress! You may still find you've brought too much but better to have and not need than need and not have.

Have fun and let us know how it turns out!

yes, I'm going to try not to stress out! that would defeat the purpose. and I almost forgot about toes! yes!! and moisturizing morning and evening.

Kaley, if you can, would you pm me with the name & place for the retreat & any additional information ? Your description of the facility, who runs it & your purpose for going is something that I would love to attend. Right now I need spiritual reaffirmation badly & what you described sounds like a godsend. Peace, Mel

I stepped out similarly about a year ago. The shoes you love and wear while dreasing at home may not translate to long hours of mobility! Be ready for blisters. Other than that, enjoy not having to COMPLETELY remove all your makeup, lipstick, etc. Sleep with your nails on. Enjoy the extra time to experiment with different eye shadow and makeup. You’re going to have fun!

Platinum Member
    Hi Kaley , I would try to just blend in as much as possible. >Orchid ...+..
    Having my ears triple pierced is AWESOME, ~~......

I can explain it to you, But I can't comprehend it for you !

If at first you don't succeed, Then Skydiving isn't for you.

Be careful what you wish for, Once you ring a bell , you just can't Un-Ring it !! !!

Just be your natural self and own it as much as you can without going overboard.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

Gold Member
    Try to blend in, do not over compensate with fancy clothes, shoes etc. Do not look like a Drag QUEEN.
    Remember you are at a spiritual Retreat.
    Have fun.
    Rader

Enjoy and may you return blessed and refreshed with a mind full of increased clarity!

Platinum Member
    enjoy the experience. Obviously, experiencing spirituality in this manner is meaningful to you. It seems that you're increasingly acknowledging that your gender expression of equally important to you. I know its a bit scary, but at the same time, its a step towards full self-awareness and self-acceptance. Don't be surprised if you find that your need for more 24/7 time increases after this weekend.
    Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one.

Eleanor Roosevelt