Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do your pictures mirror, your mirror

Gold Member Read only Rachael Leigh's Avatar

Do your pictures mirror, your mirror

Ok I know strange title but let me explain, I often can put myself together do my best makeup job
    fix my own hair or a wig check the mirror and I’m like oh yeah I’m confidant I will pass, well mostly.
    So I’m like oh I have to get a picture and then when I look it’s like where did that cute lady go?
    I’m so manly I can’t go out like this (I usually do though) so what is it that can change from the reality
    of the mirror to the image of the picture?
    I’m not honesty sure I’m sure lighting plays a role or just maybe the profile or many other things but
    for those who have this kind of thinking don’t be afraid to be you despite what the picture or the mirror
    says. If you want to go out go out. Be appropriate and blend especially if your going solo
    Blessings Rachael

Omg, I so know what you mean! And sometimes the opposite as well, I look in the mirror and say 'well … as good as it's gonna get today, I guess', then the photo comes out great for some reason. I wonder how much is lighting, angle, personal mood, context, etc. yadda yadda yadda.

Banned Spammer
    Between here and there but mostly here close to the donuts.
    When you look in the mirror you are seeing a reverse 2 dimensional image of yourself.
    When I look in the mirror I see a tranny that needs to lose a lot of weight LOLOL
    Lighting and angle have a lot to do with it.
    I agree with the just go out and be yourself.

my avatar is a good example of what you just described, no forms chest hair hanging out total blooper but yet there it is, something magical happened.....
    ....Mykell
    i dressed like a girl and i liked it! crossdressing...theirs an app for that

Resident Polymath MarinaTwelve200's Avatar
    I never COULD get 'a handle" on how I looked in the mirror---so I have always taken PHOTOS instead.

Yeah, cameras tend to lie a bit. The most common problem I see are selfies. Most cameras are actually made to be used at a slightly longer focal distance than your arm provides. Tracii also touched on the other issue. A photo of yourself is actually a flipped image of how you normally see yourself in a mirror, so everything looks a little... off.

Lighting and angles make a difference too.

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar
    I see the same Sherry in my mirrors as my pics. Of course, I'm a bit nearsited!

The difference is, I can edit my pics. NOT my mirror!
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

You're braver than I could ever be to go out, Rachael. Good for you for venturing on ahead. I prefer seeing myself in photos to the mirror, as I can take shots from different angles and different lighting. The mirror only shows me the front. Still, Veronica remains in her closet, no matter how the photos turn out.
    Veronica

Love who you are! You are uniquely you!!

Quote Originally Posted by Rachael Leigh View Post
    what is it that can change from the reality
    of the mirror to the image of the picture?
    1) Mirrors tend to be stationary, while cameras tend to be mobile,
    2) Taking out the size factor, all mirrors are interchangeable. That is, they all reflect things with the same degree of accuracy. Picture quality in cameras varies between models; from variations in product quality to design (plastic lenses vs. glass lenses, etc.)
    3) Mirrors only have one (normal) focal length, while many cameras can be adjusted to wideangle, telephoto, and sometimes even macro modes.
    4) Talking about focal length, mirrors have practically infinite depth of field, meaning that everything reflected in a mirror is in focus. Cameras allow the user to adjust the focus to better highlight the subject and blur the background.
    5) Mirrors represent all colors with 100% accuracy (or damn near). Cameras can't do that.
    6) Mirror images can only be seen when one’s looking at the mirror. Cameras can be mounted on tripods and similar devices, enabling the user to photograph themselves from various angles.
    7) Mirrors depend on ambient light to show their subject; Some cameras can compensate for the lack of lighting with built in flashes, which affect image quality and vary in quality.
    8) Mirrors are low tech objects, while cameras can be very high-tech.
    9) Mirrors are basically useless underwater. Underwater cameras are a popular consumer item.
    10) You'll never see Sean Penn punching a guy holding a mirror (no mirror wielding paparazzi)
    11) Breaking a camera doesn’t get you seven years of bad luck.

...or was the question rhetorical?

I take pics of myself, look in the mirror, and take pics of myself looking at mirrors. I'm always pretty.
    When haters hate, I celebrate!

Rachael, Sometimes love my look in the mirror, always hate my pictures. So I know exactly what you speak of.
    Please call me Jamie, I always_have crossdressed, I always will, "alwayshave".

Aspiring Member
    The best thing about taking pictures is you can delete them. I am fine with most pics, but I tend to work on lighting. mirrors are more accurate. trust the mirror.
    Sara

I think one of the photographers here (maybe Teresa?) said in the past that phone cameras have a focal length that is a jack-of-all-trades compromise for the mix of distances they're expected to capture, but is too short (or long? either way, wrong) for closeup shots like a selfie. The subject is in focus but a sort of "fish eye" effect happens, like the image has been stretched over the surface of a large sphere. At least that's how I explain the giant nose/nostrils in most of my photos to myself

I know what you mean I see something completely different in the mirror then in a picture, and the picture is at lease 15 pound heavier. The bad thing is the 15 lbs are in both male and female pictures.

There's that smile! CarlaWestin's Avatar
    Pictures, the mirror and passing are three different things. When I'm doing makeup, the close view in the mirror looks like drunk landscapers on the surface of the moon. I've had some images come out super realistic, totally by accident. Those are the gems I'm mining for. And then there's passing. Something that I've come to the conclusion is a rare event. In all of my videos and even with totally transitioned friends there's that marker that genetic males are just bigger than females.

Your mileage may vary.
    I've waited so long for this time. Makeup is so frustrating. Shaking hands and I look so old. This was a mistake.
    My new maid's outfit is cute. Sure fits tight.
    And then I step into the bedroom and in the mirror, I see a beautiful woman looking back at me.
    Smile, Honey! You look fabulous!

Silver Member Majella St Gerard's Avatar
    Walking around town and seeing how people dress, I wonder if they have any mirrors in their house to begin with.
    I trust the mirror, the camera is just for documentation and to get a rear view.

Quote Originally Posted by Eemz View Post
    I think one of the photographers here (maybe Teresa?) said in the past that phone cameras have a focal length that is a jack-of-all-trades compromise for the mix of distances they're expected to capture, but is too short (or long? either way, wrong) for closeup shots like a selfie. The subject is in focus but a sort of "fish eye" effect happens, like the image has been stretched over the surface of a large sphere. At least that's how I explain the giant nose/nostrils in most of my photos to myself
    I think my camera has the same 'defect', Eemz!!
    Like a barrage balloon that's had a normal-sized face fired onto it by RPG.
    😬

Banned Read only
    Oh, I am sure that I don't look as good as I feel. But you know what? It's not usually my makeup or that I look like a MIAD. I can't smile if I know someone is taking my picture, or if I am trying to look sexy, or whatever. I usually end up looking stupid, but I love candid photos of myself.

So most recently what I find most difficult for me is I’m using my natural hair more often when I’m out so yes that’s a big step but then when I see pictures it just doesn’t look right but I feel confidant with that mirrored look. I’ve really started a more social transition now so being the real me with my own hair has become important to me

Banned Read only
    Rachel,
    It depends what you take the pictures with , most smartphone cameras use a very wide angle lens ( that's why you can include so much in a selfie ) the problem is wide angle makes facial features look distorted , that is the nose and chin , the two features most males need to play down .

OK try an experiment , either set a normal cmaera with a zoom lens up on a tripod or good support or ask someone to take your picture but try using the longest lens setting ( opposite of the wide angle ) now notice the differnece in your facial features or if you've taken a full length how much better your proportions look .

As you know I was a professional photographer for thirty years and never took a portrait on a wide angle lens , long lenses flatter people .

Eemz,
    I've just read your reply thanks for remembering . Micki says the camera does lie , well I would say a professional learns how to flatter , of course lighting does help .
    Last edited by Teresa; 05-22-2019 at 11:17 AM.

Platinum Member
    My experience with picture taking is my eye see what the mind wants to see. However, a photo does show the real me. Many photos are group shots of me and the women in my life who are of average height. I tower over them. I tower over most males. I haven't lost too much height (72 inches). My weight is fine for my height and bone structure. The photos bring me back to the reality that blending en femme is not viable. Yep, there's a man in a dress.

Banned Read only
    Tresa's post made me remember something. Last week I was at a TG conference and they take Yearbook photos.

The lady taking the photos was a real professional. She made sure everyone looked their best. One of the things I had never expected was when we were posing. We were sitting, and she had us lean forward slightly and look up at the camera. The whole time she was saying "I know it seems silly, but I have been doing this a long time, and it makes everyone look better.".

You know what? She was right, that was probably one of the most flattering pictures of myself I have ever seen.
    Last edited by Robertacd; 05-22-2019 at 12:59 PM.

This was a professional picture taken on my cruise and so yes Teresa done properly it can look great
    I think this is my best picture taken with my natural hair and look
    Attached Images Attached Images

Platinum Member
    Hi Rachel , Your Mirror & Camera can be your best friend or your worst enemy. >Orchid ..oo..
    Having my ears triple pierced is AWESOME, ~~......

I can explain it to you, But I can't comprehend it for you !

If at first you don't succeed, Then Skydiving isn't for you.

Be careful what you wish for, Once you ring a bell , you just can't Un-Ring it !! !!

I think that the beauty is in the eyes of who sees it.
    I use the mirror just to check myself, everything is in place and nothing wrong of forgotten.
    Pics are just to show others what we like of ourselves, but let's be honest, after tons of pics we select just the good ones (I remember I could do 200 pics before select one) Are the other pics not real? They are but we don't like them. So probably that's the way people could see us, in the way we don't like but they won't say anything. Just my wife makes honest comments to help me.
    I was used, as many here to cover the dark shadow of the shaved beard and moustache but that's no real. I'm a trasgender and the reality people needs to see is a trasgender woman not a very well produced man in women's dress.
    I'm working on get electrolysis done. After that, some day I will do some FFS, for the meantime, this is me and pictures and mirrors lie, I'm a beautiful trasgender woman...lol

Devi
    Last edited by Devi SM; 05-22-2019 at 01:25 PM.
    HRT 042018; Full time 032019
    Orchiectomy 062020; gender& name legal changed 102020
    Electrolysis face begins 082019, in genitals for GCS 062021
    Breast augmentation surgery 012022
    GCS 072022; BBL 022023; GCS revision 04203;END TRANSITION

California Dreamin Michaelasfun's Avatar
    Michaela

If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice. - Rush