Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Do your pictures mirror, your mirror

Quote Originally Posted by Majella St Gerard View Post
    Walking around town and seeing how people dress, I wonder if they have any mirrors in their house to begin with.
    Ain't that the truth

what I find interesting is some photos on the same day I look great in and others I couldn't pass at night to a blind person. I can be in the same outfit and inthe same place, different pose. I think it may be in how you feel and your confidence level.
    Oh Well keep it fun and enjoy most people don't care and don't notice
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Sallee

Ah-May-Lee
    I don't have that problem, I have no mirrors, I'm a Vampire.

Roberta said something useful about camera angle. Type "Emo Girl" in google search and take a look at the images of these girls. Most have pics taken with the camera above their head. I use that technique when taking pics.
    In solitude where we are least alone. Byron

Banned Spammer
    Between here and there but mostly here close to the donuts.
    Thats the old selfie stick pose Amelie.

Banned Read only
    In general putting the camera above eye level makes your eyes look bigger and brighter and that makes everyone look better

Rachael, such a great discussion. Some days I think I am on point t when I look in the mirror and when I take the picture I wonder what the heck happened. I do agree that it also has to do with how I feel about myself at that moment. It is easier to be good with my presentation when I am at peace on the inside. Thanks for post. Cheers.
    Life is too short to be boring...Alexandra

Resident Polymath MarinaTwelve200's Avatar
    Try THIS OTHER TRICK----Instead of The Mirror OR a Photograph Do a VIDEO instead---I find it VERY HARD to snap a pic of myself and make it look good. But I can do a video and find FRAMES that make GREAT PHOTOS---I finally get to see what my "female self" is supposed to look like. Snip the frame and use THAT as your photo (s). Of course a good HD computer cam works best. You get lighting, poses and angles you never may have thought of
    Last edited by MarinaTwelve200; 05-22-2019 at 05:20 PM.

Being from the old film days, what I really love is being able to take so may pictures and then be choosy, I try not to delete them because they can be so amusing. Some poses I used to try or moods to set are now so embarrassing/OMG over the top! But every so often you find one or two good ones. I use a Fuji water proof camera because it has an interval timer and zoom lens, and it works in Oregon weather especially when it's raining

Banned Read only
    Amelia/Roberta,
    The correct position to take a close up portrait is at eye level , the eyes tell the story . For a full length the correct position is waist level , that evens up most people's body shape . I don't want to get too technical but all my photographs were taken on a Bronica SQAi with a 150mm lens which is a square film format with a lens twice the normal focal length . I always used a surdy tripod with a long cable release so I could concentrate on the person.

Another good tip is when taking pictures is change sides , we do have a good side , the face isn't symetrical , one side is wider than the other , that can sometimes explain why some pictures look better than others .

When I look in the mirror I LOOK GOOD. My camera tells me a different story.
    Angie

Silver Member
    Rachel,

After considering this debate several times over the years, and generally disliking a lot of photos, I've come to the conclusion that:

A- Both are true. When you look in the mirror what you see is correct, and you adjust the best you can. But it is an instance in time, with certain lighting and angles. But because you have the most control, field of depth, change in angle, you tend to see the best. Photos are also absolutely true as well, but being an even narrower slice of time and being stagnant, show the effects of lighting and angles more. Yes that IS what you look like under those circumstances. But as has been mentioned the photo can produce effects that make you look thinner, fatter, lighter or darker. I remember taking a photo of my catch as a teenager. I held the fish away from my body, and they appeared bigger, but so did my fingers!

B - In either case, if you've done your best, and you're happy and are enjoying the experience either alone or out with friends,neither really matters. Even super models don't look like supermodels in real life.

One thing I'm surprised nobody mentioned...
    When you look in the mirror, what you see is REVERSED (mirror image, get it?) - but camera pictures aren't.
    That's probably part of why they don't look right - unless you take a picture of yourself in a mirror instead of a 'selfie' (I don't know why, but I hate that term...)
    Last edited by SaraLin; 05-24-2019 at 05:04 AM.

Banned Spammer
    Between here and there but mostly here close to the donuts.
    I mentioned that in post #3 SaraLin.

Omg YES!! Going through that now taking pictures. I’m steadily looking for better light because it has to be the camera 😆

I use a tripod and a 10 second delay when I use my phone. I just bought a new tripod (like I need another one, already have 4) that will allow me to mount a second camera OR a cell Phone. My cell has zoom and I place the camera about 6 feet away and zoom to show were I will be in the photo.
    A nice thing about a camera photo is that I can change the backgrounds.

This is an example of changing backgrounds.

When doing art, I sometimes look at my artwork through a mirror, It makes unseen flaws visible.
    Last edited by Leslie Mary S; 05-28-2019 at 05:37 PM.
    Leslie Mary Shy
    Remember this:
    You do not have to be a man to love a woman, or be a woman to love women's clothes on her or yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by Tracii G View Post
    I mentioned that in post #3 SaraLin.
    oops! Sorry. Somehow, I missed it. (retreating red-faced)

I had a chance to spend some time with my dead father in the funeral parlor. They did a good job and he looked great. Much better than in the hospital or recent times. I took a photo to remember him looking good. The picture was of a gruesome dead body. Looked horrible. The funeral director says it happens all the time.

In-person people’s minds add a lot that the camera does not. The human eye and brain are really incredible. They have capabilities beyond any current camera. (Higher dynamic range, ability to focus attention, seeing depth.)

In a mirror, we see ourselves as interpreted by our brain. Whether that helps us see our fantasy image of ourselves or our self doubts and flaws depends on many factors including our mood.

Gold Member Read only Rachael Leigh's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kenita View Post
    I had a chance to spend some time with my dead father in the funeral parlor. They did a good job and he looked great. Much better than in the hospital or recent times. I took a photo to remember him looking good. The picture was of a gruesome dead body. Looked horrible. The funeral director says it happens all the time.

In-person people’s minds add a lot that the camera does not. The human eye and brain are really incredible. They have capabilities beyond any current camera. (Higher dynamic range, ability to focus attention, seeing depth.)

In a mirror, we see ourselves as interpreted by our brain. Whether that helps us see our fantasy image of ourselves or our self doubts and flaws depends on many factors including our mood.

This is a really great explanation, thanks

I sometimes wonder what I have done wrong as the look is not there, other times a quick dab of makeup and casuals and I really do rock.

At least I think so. :-)

Photographs are a good way to check yourself out.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

Static pictures vs. the mirror where you can see dynamic motion. I don't spend much time looking in the mirror, but I have taken somewhere in the neighborhood of 15,000 pictures. Only around 70 of those make my "best of" list. With such a poor ratio I have to assume that the mirror is a liar.
    Renée Theresa Davidson

The reversal by the mirror alone doesn't explain the picture of the mirror image versus the mirror image of the picture . They are both reversed. Otherwise, we could fix all pics simply by mirroring them ( and we wouldn't be talking so much about this ).

I think there is a more influential contribution from how the brain 'averages out' the frames sent to it live ( as Renee suggested ), while the camera only captures one single frame. Note that the brains of other people looking at you will be doing the same thing . . .

- Lydianne.

YOULOVEMYTOES Palaina Nocturnus's Avatar
    Thankfully I'm able to live life how my pictures look, for the most part. My girlfriend asked that I not fully dress up like in a dress around her 11 year old daughter. I agreed since we only have her every other week. I usually only wear makeup on special occasions

[SIZE=1]- - - Updated - - -[/SIZE]

I do wear capris and short shorts around her daughter, sometimes she will wear the same outfit I'm wearing so I look at her mom like come on! Lol she knows and doesn't care even if she is young. Her friend had lesbian parents.

"Thankfully", indeed! Smart agreement on your part. Gotta know when to hold 'em; know when to fold 'em!

If the presence of her eleven-year-old every other week is your only restriction, then your holy grail is half full. Cheers! ..

The limits some others here have reported are much tighter.

That said, though, acceptance from an eleven year old is extremely cool! . However, you probably wouldn't want to risk exposing her to the hazards of non-acceptance of you by others until she's old enough to handle it. We tell each other all the time here to stay safe.

- Lydianne.