Thread: A play about CDs: Casa Valentina

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

A play about CDs: Casa Valentina

I’m guessing that many of you know about this, since it won a Tony for best play in 2014, but I’m just learning about it. Seems that Fierstein did his research and got a lot of things right - maybe not everything. What do you think? Has anyone seen this play? It will be playing in Chicago at the end of the summer. I’m definitely going to see it then. It might be showing during Pinkfest - would be really cool to go as a group. I understand it will stimulate a fair amount of conversation.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=14hCqn4eqXs
    Oh! You Pretty Things ... Come join us for:
    Paint the Town Chicago (Feb 23-26, 2023)
    More info here -> https://linktr.ee/PtT2023

Thanks for posting that, Julie! I didn't know about that play, it sounds wonderful. I watched the whole interview, and I agree that Harvey really did his research on this. He gets it that crossdressers are all different. And that many are straight. It is so cool that it's based on a true story--there was really a place called Casa Valentina. I loved the old pics.

I will definitely look for this show in the future. I love live theatre and have even done some community theatre. Have a great time at the show. If you don't mind me asking, will you go dressed? I would be very tempted to go en fem. If you'd like, would love to hear about the experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Leelou View Post
    Have a great time at the show. If you don't mind me asking, will you go dressed? I would be very tempted to go en fem. If you'd like, would love to hear about the experience.
    Most definitely I’ll be going in Julie mode and will very likely give a post report here.

Platinum Member
    Find the shoes....dang, I have always started with the skirt...
    Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one.

Eleanor Roosevelt

I caught it in Pasadena a few years back. Well worth seeing.
    Not a woman, I just enjoy looking and feeling like one now and then!

Thanks for the heads-up Julie. I will definitely be going to this as Courtney. I have always wanted to go to mainstream theatre while dressed but a little too self-conscious. I go out alot but don't like the idea of sitting in one spot for 2+ hours. This would be the PERFECT venue to see a show while Fem. Maybe I will see you there. CJ

Hi ladies
    I have seen the play in new York and Pasadena CA it is very accurate in most ways the real Virginia Prince was a little more brash in real life , I will be interested in hearing the reviews

Susie

Quote Originally Posted by CourtneyJamieson View Post
    Thanks for the heads-up Julie. I will definitely be going to this as Courtney. I have always wanted to go to mainstream theatre while dressed but a little too self-conscious. I go out alot but don't like the idea of sitting in one spot for 2+ hours. This would be the PERFECT venue to see a show while Fem. Maybe I will see you there. CJ
    Here’s the link to the theater in Chicago

http://pridefilmsandplays.com/tickets/

They haven’t specified the dates yet, but as I said, if it’s playing during Pinkfest (https://www.crossdressers.com/forums...t=#post4360644), we’ll definitely have it on the schedule. If not, I’ll be putting together a group. I expect everyone will be en femme, if they are comfortable doing so. Probably get some dinner in Boystown beforehand and some drinks afterwards. It’s not really a mainstream theater, so no worries about being accepted and comfortable before during or after the show. Anyone interested in joining please contact me and we can work out logistics.
    ❤️🧚❤️

Didn't go to see it when it was on Broadway, wanted to, but thought my wife would be suspicious why I'd pick that one to go to. She's a theater lover and I tag along when interested, she wasn't, so I didn't go. Wonder if it's the only sympathetic portrayal out there.

Curious to know how "real" it is and infer from interview with Fierstien that none of the characters are gay, so a tiny step for some of us.
    Last edited by HelpMe,Rhonda; 06-25-2019 at 08:29 AM.

So... I'm in Florida...is there any websites that has a schedule of where it's being performed? I was even looking to see if the script could be acquired to do a community theater performance. I would definitely show up to auditions!

Joyce, I bought a copy of the play on Amazon. Only half way through it, I’m trying to savor it. It’s pretty good and essentially describes the formation Tri-Ess and how there was division in the LGBT community even back then. Unfortunately, it reads a lot like the conversations of today.

Ronda, You’re just gonna have to come to Pinkfest for another opportunity to see it.

Not to hijack the thread (and Julie you are doing a fabulous job of tempting me to attend Pinkfest), but I never expected to hear two of my golfing group on the practice green discussing how much they enjoyed seeing Kinky Boots when it was on at the Muny Opera in St. Louis.

I saw Kinky Boots, back in January. Such a fun show. Great message but also great songs. Harvey Fierstein wrote both so it’s no surprise. Oh yeah, it looks like we’re gonna have Casa Valentina on the Pinkfest schedule, probably the Thursday night.

Thanks for the heads up. While I'm unlikely to catch the play here in Blighty, it was interesting researching the inspiration for the story, Casa Susanna.

Thank you Julie, I enjoyed the you tube interview...
    Escapism isn't necessarily bad, but is definitely unhealthy in the long term. While helpful in the short term, things will degrade over time. At some point, the escapee will have to face the issue. Things simply blowing over isn't really going to happen in many situations.

For those interested, we have this play on the Pinkfest schedule for the Friday night.

Thanks Julie.....I am excited to attend Pinkfest for the first time and really looking forward to going to the theatre while dressed. Awesome!

The day finally arrived for us to see Casa Valentina. There was 6 of us in the group and it seems that during their month long run, we were the only CDs to attend, at least from what they could tell. It was very emotional, especially for us who know the topic intimately. For the most part they got everything right - family dynamics, the euphoria of that first time out and our somewhat tortured relationship with the rest of the LGBT community. It was really great to talk to the actors after the show - let them know how much we appreciated the production and how accurately they portrayed the real people. The attached pic with the cast is one of those once in a lifetime moments I hope to never forget. If you ever get the opportunity, you gotta see this play.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Banned Read only
    Never heard of it, but I will have to check it out if I get the chance

Julie
    Glad you enjoyed the play