Since tomorrow is the last day of school, I went out to Wal-Mart to get some supplies for a party I am having for one of my classes after we watch and I grade their final projects. As I was walking back to the car with my mom (I was wearing a pair of womens slacks and my olive green flower shirt that I absolutely adore with lipstick and eyeliner (and unfortunately a little bit of stubble because it's the end of the day), an older woman started staring at me with what appeared to be a puzzled expression on her face. I don't think she could tell my gender. All I did was meet her eyes smile politely, demurely, but knowingly, until she just said (in a somewhat surprised voice) "Hi there." I politely returned her greeting and we parted going our separate ways. I have no doubt that I get read everywhere I go, and it will continue to happen at least until I get my hair restyled before I go to Pride (and probably afterwards too). But I really don't care. As long as it's just staring and no rude comments are made I'm not going to let it affect me. Yes, I'm transgender. Yes, I'm transitioning. Yes, it's early in the process for me so I look like a guy or someone of indeterminate gender. No, I'm not going to let you beat me just because you don't understand what I'm going through. Imagine if I had gone with my original plan for the day Tights and a dress? That would have given her a real show I decided against wearing the dress for the sake of my father who just isn't ready for me to take that step yet even if it's just around the house. He's afraid that potential future employers will see me and I won't get hired as a result which is a valid concern. I'm still probably going to go out in a dress if I feel like it a few times this Summer. Thankfully, he has told me that he doesn't care what I do for Pride in SF with my friend. My mom and sister in law have told me they don't care so I'll probably wear it around them. Also, I've started conversing with a woman online on a dating site and if that leads somewhere I might wear one of my dresses on a date. I want to look presentable. Maybe it's naievete on my part, maybe I just don't understand, but I really don't see why my choice of dress especially if I come ready to explain what my situation is to any potential employer who asks matters when it comes to employment. I don't think my home state is particularly trans friendly so I'll probably have to move. Fortunately, Illinois isn't that far away and I have friends in good areas if I find work who might be willing to help me get on my feet in a new location if I need to.