Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: A question on the average age of the CD on this website

A question on the average age of the CD on this website

Im curious about what the average age is of the user base here. My initial impression is that it’s of a more mature group of individuals. Probably 40+ at least... I’m new here and obviously could be wrong, but assuming I’m not, what is it do you think that makes that so? I understand that age is a delicate subject and I’m trying to be as diplomatic and sensitive about discussing this and my choice of words and apologize if I offended anyone. But I simply feel young to be a crossdresser and find it easier to connect with others closer to my age, which has proven difficult. So that’s what got me asking about this.

I'm sure that the age group is skewed towards older. Part of the reason is that it has taken time for many of us to accept this being a part of us. I do see more younger members joining and I think that is great. We can all learn from one another.

This was brought up in another thread and someone had a rather brilliant insight and mentioned the medium. This website and its message board/forum layout is something that is natural to an older generation that’s used to desktop computing, but the younger generation was raised on apps and smartphones so they’re probably more likely to use Reddit or Pinterest or what have you.

Also, in the last 20 years or so, the “express lane to transition” has kind of been opened. It’s easier than ever for these kids to have access to that kind of knowledge and medical resources, so I think a lot of the younger generation is kind of skipping the “crossdresser” thing and are just going straight to transition.

Banned Read only
    As usual Micki is right.

Speaking of smartphones, the mobile version of this site sort of sucks. You can't see attachments and every time I try to edit a post, it deletes it instead of updating it.

Banned Spammer
    Between here and there but mostly here close to the donuts.
    Ginger stop apologizing for asking questions.
    If people get offended that is their problem not yours.
    We are all adults here and willing to talk about most anything.
    Being sensitive about age is found more in kids not adults so don't worry about that.
    If you have questions speak right up and ask.If somebody gets offended they can just not comment and move on.

Banned Read only
    Ginger,
    So many reasons behind your question many of us are possibly so occupied with life , I had my business to run , two kids to educate and 101 other things at the same time .

I can't speak for everyone but many are possibly buried in the closet, it's only when you get time on your hands that you realise there's more to this CDing need than we thought . I have seen so many in their forties not only here on the forum but in reality that the lightbulb moment happens at this age . Time after time do you see members coming out in their forties .

My CDing started at the age of 8-9 but just lived with it thinking one day I would grow out of it instead it gradually took over my life , I had to turn to counselling to try and resolve my inner conflict .

Dysphoria in many takes time to build to an unacceptable level .

I don't entirely agree with Micki , I would say it's still a tiny minority that transition at a young age .

Age hopefully brings maturity and sense , it's becomes harder to live with the thought that as a man we need for whatever reason to dress in women's clothes , I can tell you it gets harder when you've been married for 40 + years with grown up children and perhaps even grandchildren and yet the dressing need is still disruptive enough to destroy all that . Did I ever think I would separate to dress full time ? No way but it's now a reality , am I too old ? Maybe but I'm happier now than I've been for some time .
    Last edited by Teresa; 05-30-2019 at 01:19 PM.

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar
    I'm 76. Usually older than the other CD's at the events I go to. However? I'm rarely twice the age of other attendees. 400 T's at Diva Las Vegas and WildSide events this year.

The girls that operate these events worry about their aging clientel demographics!
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

Ginger you have to speak up because my eyesight isn't as good as it used to be. I just think that it took longer for my generation to come to grips with our "alternative expression" of our being as we had a slightly harder swim against the tide than the younger of today with the more accepting social attitude. And with our arthritis and all it just took use longer to climb this hill and arrive.
    "you are a strange species and there are many out there;shall I tell you what I find beautiful about you ,you are at your best when things are at their worst" ...[ Starman]
    It may of course be a bit disturbing to sense that one is really not so firmly anchored to the gender one was born into.

Resident Polymath MarinaTwelve200's Avatar
    I'll be 70 in a few weeks---CD ing make me look 30 years YOUNGER. We grew up in a time of HIGH "Sexual di-morphism"---that is the difference in appearances of the two sexes. (in the 50's and 60's) Such an observation was made by some famous world traveling author James A. Mitchner. "Caravans" was one of his books.---He noted the higher sexual di morphism in a country or culture, the greater the incidence of Cross Dressing.

I agree that many prefer their smartphones and I use mine too, but much prefer my laptop for this site..Its just easier....And funny you should ask....I'm 57 today!

Gold Member
    Well I will jump in and say that I am 72, Sherry is 76, Marina is almost 70, so you see that 70 + Is A Lucky Number.
    Rader

Ginger, I was definitely thinking the same thing recently. As a young person of almost 30 I was surprised by how many older users are on this site. But with that being said, I have definitely learned so much by reading what people have experienced over their many years of being a CD. I think with a more mature group here there are going to be better, more in depth conversations because so many have "been there, done that." I know that for myself I have not experienced even a fraction of what some people here have and it's encouraging to know about the path that is before me.

I forget how old I am. Somewhere in my 50s.

Turning 60 next January

Turning 25 on June.

Quote Originally Posted by Micki_Finn View Post
    This was brought up in another thread and someone had a rather brilliant insight and mentioned the medium. This website and its message board/forum layout is something that is natural to an older generation that’s used to desktop computing, but the younger generation was raised on apps and smartphones so they’re probably more likely to use Reddit or Pinterest or what have you.
    I would be extremely surprised if this forum wasn't skewed to the plus 40 crowd. I would guess the average age, or more accurately the median age, wasn't at least 50.

Again, it's the medium. Individuals in our demographic (I'm 61) were introduced to the web via AOL and forums like this. Boards like this were voices in the wilderness telling us we were not the only ones. We're the dinosaurs.

The first iPhones debuted in 2007, so someone who was 18 when smartphones came out are now 30. The younguns are on Reddit and Instragram and the dating apps.

Also, in the last 20 years or so, the “express lane to transition” has kind of been opened. It’s easier than ever for these kids to have access to that kind of knowledge and medical resources, so I think a lot of the younger generation is kind of skipping the “crossdresser” thing and are just going straight to transition.
    I think the percentages along the transgender spectrum are consistent among ages; i.e., the percentage of 25 y/o's who are CDs is approximately the same as those who are 75. The same is true for those who consider themselves to be the wrong gender. I think those who are wishing to transition is consistent among age groups. The idea that someone can transition has certainly become more prevalent over the last 20 years. That is enabling people of all ages to transition.

The concept of young people "skipping" crossdressing is simply a wrong concept to me.

Ginger, I turned 60 in January. There is a different vibe here than on the crossdressing discord chat I also belong to. I think because this is not in real time the comments are sometimes more thought out. Both formats have advantages. I like that you can see and follow the thread of a conversation here even if you leave or are not here for awhile. Then again, the discord is immediate. Definitely a younger group over there.

Recently turned 54, when I was 38 it hit me like a sort of mid-life crisis. That would have been around the summer of '03. I always indulged in CDing when the opportunity to do so presented itself since I was a child. However, some significant life changes seemed to ignite it at that point.
    Renée Theresa Davidson

Just look at the first page of the "members list", where the majority of members have declared their age. Not one over 70 and most are under 40, but maybe the results are skewed because I imagine younger members are more inclined to have symbols and not letters at the start of their member name. So. I skipped to the last page, again no over 70's and most are under 40, but still many with symbols and not letters at the start of their member name.

This is registered members, but 10% or less of those listed on these two pages had been active this year and only half of that number this month.

Anyone want to analise the 521 pages of the members list?

PS. I am 61.
    Rachel,

As a crossdresser my personality has several facets. Therefore, I suppose I can be forgiven for being facetious.

To answer the question, the best guess is (middle age)....45-65.....
    Escapism isn't necessarily bad, but is definitely unhealthy in the long term. While helpful in the short term, things will degrade over time. At some point, the escapee will have to face the issue. Things simply blowing over isn't really going to happen in many situations.

I'm 29, i don't use other social media, but I should, I guess.

Mmmmm, makes one think somewhat brings home ones own age quite a bit (I am 72) but as the saying goes you are only as old as you feel and if you feel young despite your age then go for it and live happily.
    I started life a lost man now I am a found woman

I turned 69 last week. My how time has passed!

Yes this is an older crowd and I appreciate the younger members of our community being here and posting as much as they do.
    Bobbi, Yes very true!
    Crissy

Platinum Member
    Hi Ginger , I am 76 and have been in this program for 72 years now.

>>>>>>>>>>>>Orchid .oooo.
    Last edited by BLUE ORCHID; 05-31-2019 at 07:16 AM.
    Having my ears triple pierced is AWESOME, ~~......

I can explain it to you, But I can't comprehend it for you !

If at first you don't succeed, Then Skydiving isn't for you.

Be careful what you wish for, Once you ring a bell , you just can't Un-Ring it !! !!