Thread: Why do I Cross-dress? – To be Beautiful!

Why do I Cross-dress? – To be Beautiful!

Hi ladies – hope you will allow me to express for a little bit. I have found it easy to open to you and hope you will allow me to take up a bit of space.

There were topics in previous forums that I read which all, in some way or the other, ask the question: “Why do you cross-dress, OR can you stop dressing?”. Found it a bit difficult to partake in each discussion, so thought it best to post this.

There is the age old saying that beauty is in the eye of the beholder. What I have found to be my truth as a CD, is that beauty is my expression, both internally and externally, that gives me the strength and power to be who I truly am and how I wish to live my life.

I found that the world expects a man to be dressed functionally. Fit in with the norm. Don’t stand out, don’t express. Each job has a dress code, “don’t step out of line”. Don't be beautiful.

Where woman has the freedom to say on the outside what they feel on the inside – or if it is a difficult day, use their look to express the opposite. Now I know some may say this is not true for all – in my experience, I have seen the most conservative woman express beauty in her own way. Why? – Women embody beauty. They can’t help it. It is part of their DNA. They express it no matter what.

And as a man, blessed with both male and female energy, this expression of beauty is what has pushed me since day 1 to cross-dress. Being a CD has given me the freedom to be beautiful as a man and as a woman.

G-D made Earth to be beautiful and nature express beauty everyday in everything. Yet the human race place boundaries on how you may express your beauty.
    This has also been why I believe strongly that if you embody both energies, that being a CD is not a curse, a habit or an addiction; it is who you are and how you wish to express beauty in your life.

You are beautiful, no matter what body you inhabit. No-one has the right to judge how you wish to express your beauty. And as a CD person, you should never be ashamed of your beauty.
    So, to all of you – I say: “be who you are”; “color the world the way you want to”; “express your beauty everyday”; “you are beautiful!!”.

Dear Michelle, once you have your 10 posts I think you may want to visit the NB/TG forum, you may find that we who water there have a more duel view of our expression in line with your feelings.
    "you are a strange species and there are many out there;shall I tell you what I find beautiful about you ,you are at your best when things are at their worst" ...[ Starman]
    It may of course be a bit disturbing to sense that one is really not so firmly anchored to the gender one was born into.

Gold Member
    Dear Michelle; First off, I want to Welcome you to the Forum.
    Some of us dressers like me will never pass as a GG. However,
    It is what you feel down deep in side of yourself when you get dressed up id what counts.
    It is not always how you are wearing an outfit, it is sometimes just the fact you are wearing it.
    Remember, a Girl can put on a pr of pants, ans society does not even blink en eye.
    Now a Man puts on a dress, and society is ready to commit him to the funny farm.
    rader

At 69 I've been a cross dresser all my life. I've looked at it from the social, political, religious, sexual, psychological and philosophical angles, and all I can come up with is, somehow I'm more comfortable in a feminine role.
    needless to say, this has lead to a lot of conflict.

This might imply that I have an answer. I don't.
    I am a vessel of the goddess. Let me express my calling to a feminine life through nurturing love and relatedness.

Platinum Member
    april, I love what you've said. ditto
    Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one.

Eleanor Roosevelt

I agree with the idea you're expressing. Some of us feel more drawn to beauty, wanting it to be a part of us, wanting to be beautiful and create beauty. As St. Augustine said, "no desire is given in vain."

I do it to feel as if I'm a beautiful young lady. In reality, I know that I can never even approach that, but at least the illusion is enough to keep me content (See, Star Trek the original series, 'The Menagerie' episode). As long as I don't actually see my reflection which would spoil it, I'm good just dressing up in all the things that contribute to me feeling like what I want to be.
    Some causes of crossdressing you've probably never even considered: My TG biography at:http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/...=1#post1490560
    There's an addendum at post # 82 on that thread, too. It's about a ten minute read.
    Why don't we understand our desire to dress, behave and feel like a girl? Because from childhood, boys are told that the worst possible thing we can be, is a sissy. This feeling is so ingrained into our psyche, that we will suppress any thoughts that connect us to being or wanting to be feminine, even to the point of creating separate personalities to assign those female feelings into.

Platinum Member
    I have to agree with Sometimes_miss. I stay away from looking into a mirror unless I am across the room. I do not pass as a woman. That's one of the reasons I am an in-home cross dresser. Cross dressing brings me peace and tranquility. That's my comfort zone.

In my male world I did express myself at work. I probably could have blended into the work force by wearing the typical male business attire. Just look at all the males lined up around the president at an event. Same suit. Same shirt. Same tie. Boring as it can be. Me? It was colorful solid shirts. I doubt if I wore a white shirt more than five times in thirty plus years. My collection of ties allowed me to convey my feelings on any particular day; patterns, even cartoon figures. Always dress slacks. Never jeans. The women in my office wore outfits I thought were inappropriate. We dealt with attorneys, CPA's and business men and women. Wearing sweat suits, jeans and beach wear and even capri pants I thought was disrespectful to our job function/relationships. Many times visitors thought I was the boss based on my appearance. The manager looked like she was headed off to the beach.

Anyway, my point is I am able, even in my retirement years, to express myself attired in male clothing. Perhaps over the years I have been able to successfully convey how my inner self feels.

Welcome Michelle. I do understand what you are saying, we want to FEEL beautiful, to SEE ourselves as a better version than our own self-image. You may not reach a level that other consider "beautiful" but that is not the important view. To express femininity I think is a better way to phrase what we have in common. For some femininity means showing what our respective societies consider beauty. For others it is lingerie, others large breasts, for a few pregnancy or a little girl.
    I used my large tie collection to show some flare, but as Ellen I can expand to many other ways. I can choose to be pretty or handsome.
    Hugs, Ellen

Quote Originally Posted by Michelle View Post
    [...]as a man, blessed with both male and female energy[...].
    I like this description a lot. Or, dare I say, these are words that go together well?

I appreciate those sentiments. Thank you and welcome.
    When haters hate, I celebrate!

I wear panties and bras because they're pretty, and because they make me feel pretty.

Resident Polymath MarinaTwelve200's Avatar
    The quick answer is "To take a VACATION AWAY from MYSELF"----where I can completely relax and unwind free from all the concerns of my male self--and also the "pressures and obligations" of simply being MALE ----AND it is also FUN knowing I am being PRETTY.

I dress for myself! fashionisto's Avatar
    Hi Michelle,

I can totally relate to this! That's why I do it. I don't try to pass, rather I wear what I like as long as it looks good.

Quote Originally Posted by Michelle View Post
    I found that the world expects a man to be dressed functionally. Fit in with the norm. Don’t stand out, don’t express. Each job has a dress code, “don’t step out of line”. Don't be beautiful.
    This is true, but I found it is also true to some extent for women. When I dress up flamboyantly there are a lot of women who come up to me and say something like, I wish I was brave enough to express myself the way you do. It's like, they feel joy because it lifts the restriction on self-expression that they feel. It's great when you can inspire others like this!

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar

Smile "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder", Michelle.

I don't know who said that, but I agree! I've seen plenty of women and T's that don't fit MY definition of "beautiful".

And, while I usually find Sherry attractive? I know there r many who do NOT!

Finally, I think maybe u meant everyone no matter how homely has some good qualities or a beautiful spirit?
    I can agree with that!
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

Hi Michelle, I like what you have written, I crossdress for how it makes ME feel.

I also think it is good as Marina put it to 'take a vacation away from myself' now and again.