Thread: So I decided to get a haircut..........

So I decided to get a haircut..........

Went to birmingham and was doing a little shopping and decided to get my hair cut for the first time in 6 years Saturday. Wife suggested a mid length cut and going to a blonde color. I went to Ulta and they were great! I will post pictures when I get to my phone. I was worried that they would not want to help a CD but totally not the case. I later read that their policy isnt to discriminate against anyone no matter what. The staff here seemed like they didnt care and were just happy to have another customer. I have been told at other chain hair places that they do not work on CD/TG, so I never pressed the issue. (Who wants to force someone to do their job, then trust them with their hair?) But the place that wont cut my hair because I am CD is not going to get the business of my wife and kids either. So their loss. I dont think they have the right to refuse service, but I am glad to know how they really feel in advance. But anyways, KUDOS to Ulta! My hair looks GREAT.

Banned Spammer
    Between here and there but mostly here close to the donuts.
    I never had a place refuse to cut my hair based on gender expression.
    My town is really great in that regard.

I'm glad it went so well for you. I've had very good experiences at Ulta and won't hesitate to do business with them.

Quote Originally Posted by Tracii G View Post
    I never had a place refuse to cut my hair based on gender expression.
    My town is really great in that regard.
    I usually try to call ahead and talk to the people I will be dealing with. I don't want to "force" someone to provide services if they are not comfortable or are going to mess it up because they dont want to do it. It is so much more fun when you are around people who want you around!

Silver Member
    I'd be surprised if a chain hair salon actually had a policy to not serve trans people, they'd be sued and boycotted out of existence. Individual stores may not want to deal with trans people, but it would be dumb for a corporation to put something like that in writing for everyone to see.

Banned Spammer
    Between here and there but mostly here close to the donuts.
    Calling ahead seems like you are begging for acceptance or ashamed to be who you are.
    I have to wonder if a store or salon ever said no we hate trans people and don't want you here.
    You have every right to go where ever you want.
    Last edited by Tracii G; 06-05-2019 at 07:55 AM.

That's actually not true. While I can go where ever I want in public, private businesses have a right to serve who they want to. I am not trans, just a CD. But like I said, even if I could demand to go in and be served, if the stylist didn't want to do my hair because I am a CD then Id much rather know ahead of time than to chance someone messing up my hair. It's kind of like that Gay couple that demanded the baker make their wedding cake against the bakers wishes. Do they really want to serve their friends and family a cake that they forced someone to make?

I dont beg for people to accept who I am. I really could care less what people think. At the same time, though, I try to treat people nicely and how I would want them to treat me. I wouldnt call ahead to a restaurant and ask if they served crossdressers. They don't provide a lot of individual service. But hair and nail places, doctors, massage therapist, and basically any place that someone's negative attitude could seriously affect me, I am going to make sure they are ok to serve me. I don't think that I am wrong for doing this. I don't know when respecting other people's feelings became something bad.

I think you made some very valid points, calling ahead lets them know you are coming and you can tell ahead of time what to expect when you arrive.
    Last edited by Crissy 107; 06-11-2019 at 05:30 AM.
    Crissy

The franchise haircutter in my town is actually owned by a transwoman.
    I am a vessel of the goddess. Let me express my calling to a feminine life through nurturing love and relatedness.

Quote Originally Posted by hosekid View Post
    That's actually not true. While I can go where ever I want in public, private businesses have a right to serve who they want to. I am not trans, just a CD. But like I said, even if I could demand to go in and be served, if the stylist didn't want to do my hair because I am a CD then Id much rather know ahead of time than to chance someone messing up my hair. It's kind of like that Gay couple that demanded the baker make their wedding cake against the bakers wishes. Do they really want to serve their friends and family a cake that they forced someone to make?

I dont beg for people to accept who I am. I really could care less what people think. At the same time, though, I try to treat people nicely and how I would want them to treat me. I wouldnt call ahead to a restaurant and ask if they served crossdressers. They don't provide a lot of individual service. But hair and nail places, doctors, massage therapist, and basically any place that someone's negative attitude could seriously affect me, I am going to make sure they are ok to serve me. I don't think that I am wrong for doing this. I don't know when respecting other people's feelings became something bad.
    Good points, well made. Totally agree!