I often like to nip into Chesterfield at the weekend to do a little domestic shopping whilst dressed. On reaching the checkout queue in the first shop I realised that I had left my purse at home. There was no alternative, I had to drive home for it and once there thought I can’t be bothered to drive back so thought I would try and get what I needed in my own village.
First shop was in a converted pub, and consequently a rather tight squeeze in the aisles. Half way round I glance to my left and realise I am level with, and only inches from, the wife of a close colleague. Thankfully she is looking to her left and the only thing I can do is speed up a little to get ahead and leave. It would have been very ironic if she had recognized me as her husband is somewhat misogynistic even on a good day and I didn’t think he was particularly understanding of trans people at all, but I have subsequently had to revise my opinion.
Coming out of the second shop onto the Market Square I saw my neighbour, who also cat sits for me, and her friend, waiting at the bus stop which necessitated a quick change of direction.
I had to head back to the big metropolis as I needed to scour the charity shops, not unfortunately for a new outfit but to find a cafetiere as I had broken mine earlier in the week. Just as I am entering the first one, I hold the door for a colleague and her friends. I can’t just leave so I quickly scan the crockery and exit stage left. As is the way, my quest remains unfulfilled till the last shop where I find my prize. Whilst I am paying the SA is lovely and compliments me on the sweater dress I am wearing, adding that she has the same one. This gave me a great little boost at the end of an eventful morning.