Thread: This is going quite well and contrary to my expectations.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Utah, north of West Jordan, south of North Salt Lake & west of South Salt Lake

This is going quite well and contrary to my expectations.

I've been making comments on others posts and occasionally referring to what I'm doing, but there is so much that's happened I felt I needed a chance to look at all of it in one place. Now that I'm not just looking at one piece at a time, it there it turns out to be much more than I thought.

Nine months ago I started HT and my last blood work had me well within target range on both E and T. I've been taking Finisteride for even longer and that seems to have helped with my hair growth because there was enough to trim and I wear a topper with a 2"x6" base more often to cover the thin spot than wear a full wig. I've seen some breast growth, enough to begin filling a small cup padded bra. Not enough for me to feel confident out in the world, but it makes me happy. I'm several sessions into electro and there is quite a way to go, but I'm sticking with it.

I started coming out to my adult kids quite a while ago and they've been supportive. Since I started HT I've been expanding that group who know about my formerly totally secret life. I've come out to my closest long time friends and their wives, former co-workers with whom I'm still connected and even a couple of others, including neighbors. My old friends have never been so willing to give me hugs. So far it's been all good, supportive and loving responses and I marched with the Trans group leading this year's Pride Parade and that felt pretty good as well.

Still not full time, but with the changes to my body and acceptance by those closest to me it's not as foreign a thought as it was a year ago. I've been taking the slow approach for years and years, so that's not a big issue for me. In fact, it seems like things are moving faster than I would have planned. There are still a few people I need to open up to, including one family member who is odds on the best chance for a negative response. But I'm deciding that I really don't want to give him that power of fear over me. He hasn't earned it.

I celebrate my 70th birthday this summer and around Labor Day it will be my first year on hormones. I'm excited about the future and when things are right I'm discovering I can be happy, something I often wondered if I'd lost. Thank you.
    Sarah
    Being transgender isn't a lifestyle choice. How you deal with it is.

Sarah, I'm so happy to hear you're doing so well! Congrats on all fronts!

Thank you for sharing your story. We, you and me, are at an age where we have every right to be happy with who we are and with life in general. Keep stopping to smell the flowers and enjoy every moment you have left.

Congrats on doing so well! I am in there with you! I am out to both of my kids and my SIL! I just turned 68 and am on the 7th month of hormones! Life is great so far! Best wishes and enjoy the journey! Hugs Lana Mae
    Life is worth living!
    "Foxy lady! You look so good!!" Jimi Hendrix

> when things are right I'm discovering I can be happy
    > something I often wondered if I'd lost

Well there you go. That's what it's all about

Thanks Sarah, it's great to hear that things are working out. Best wishes and luck for the next phase

Aspiring Member
    Hi Sarah,
    I am glad to hear things are going well. Going slowly, out to close people but not full timetime resonates with me well. The main thing is to take care of the health to live a long, happy life.

Platinum Member
    Sarah, I’m very happy to hear how well your life is progressing. The response from family and friends is the most encouraging. I had not thought before about yielding power to people through fear. What a great point! Kinda makes me wonder if I may be anywhere near this point in four years.
    Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one.

Eleanor Roosevelt

Silver Member
    Oh, Sarah, I'm so very happy for you, sister!

Utah, north of West Jordan, south of North Salt Lake & west of South Salt Lake
    Thanks all.

One benefit from the coming out is coming up shortly. I'm having a birthday party at my house and I'm inviting people to come regardless of how I met them; work, school, recreation or Transgender related. It's not planned or intended to be a mass coming out, just a celebration, but I'm not about to lie about who I am if asked.
    Sarah
    Being transgender isn't a lifestyle choice. How you deal with it is.

That's great Sarah and good luck with it. I am actually planning something very similar for my birthday in July which will be my first one since coming out as well.

Just being alive and healthy at 70 earns mega cool points. Transitioning at that age (or beyond) is like robbing the vault at the Bank of Cool.
    Carries a spray bottle of "pink fog" around with her in her purse at all times.

Sarah, you have such a healthy attitude about life and self acceptance. As one who transitioned at 70, I share so many of your experiences. Sometimes we are the last ones to get it that the world has changed since we were young and feeling terribly guilty and shameful about our "secret." When we do eventually "get it," our later years become one of joy and newness of life. I am so happy for you!

Thank you Sarah, Dorit, Lana and Allie, you give me hope for the future! I’m always wondering whether it would be too late if I wait a few more years to retirement before I start with HRT, and love to hear about your experiences and bravery. Thank you for sharing!

Aspiring Member sarah_hillcrest's Avatar
    Proud of you, wonderful to hear how it's going!