Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Too old to get ears pierced?

Too old to get ears pierced?

I’m 68 and hope to soon retire. Every time I mention to my wife that I’d like to get my ears pierced, she says I’m too old to get it done because: 1) men my age don’t have pierced ears; 2) family members and friends would question why, and criticize my having done it; 3) that there are enough clip on options that I don’t need to go to pierced ears; 4) even though I frequently wear some women’s clothing when out in male mode, pierced ears would draw too much attention.

So, if your eaes are pierced, at what age did you do it, and what style do you wear when out in male mode?

If your ears are not pierced but you wish they were, what is holding you back?

Any other thoughts about ear piercings?
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Be all the woman that you can be!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    . . . and now, On With The Show!

Got mine done when I was 55, and I may get a second set of piercings.

For work, I usually just wear BB's in silver, sometimes gold. Other than work, anything goes, although I do prefer chandeliers or dangles.
    Before you can love another, you must first like yourself

I Aim To Misbehave

Labels belong on BOXES, not PEOPLE!

Got mine done at 60.

Can't speak to 68, but my brother (not a CDer) is in his mid fifties and has had his ears pierced since he was a teenager.

I first had mine done when I was 18 so no help on that front. I can tell you: 1) there are plenty of men your age with pierced ears 2) you can take your earrings out in front of family and friends (after the initial healing period). You’ll still have holes, but they aren’t that noticeable. 3) clip-ons suck. They’re uncomfortable and they can slip. 4) My earrings don’t get hardly any attention unless I’m purposely wearing something flashy to get attention.

I’ll add a 5) even though I’ve debunked your wife’s arguments, I would not recommend getting them done as long as she says no. All these excuses could just be her covering up the fact that she’s uncomfortable with the idea for whatever reason.

I thought it was about time when I passed 70. My wife was not informed until it was done. She doesn't like it but that is not a decision area for her. I have bought five different pieces to use. Daily use of smaller buttons with stones. Yes, people notice but very few ask about it. My answer is that I like it and that it was about time to do it before it is too late. Very few of the worries that your wife is listing will become a problem.
    Marie

I had mine done at 54. Most people don't blink.
    It's your body, your choice. Period.
    Besides, at 68 you'll look like every other person with pierced ears. BUT, once you hit 70, you'll be classed as a "Badass".
    They/Them
    I love dressing as a woman.

I had my ears pierced at 60 yo when I was retired. Only a few people have commented about my earrings. I explained to a couple people that I had worked for 34 years in a corporation and never was free to pierce my ears so now I did. I wear studs and hoops and get zero comments.

You're old enough to say that you are a repressed hippie and now have the opportunity to do whatever you want.

Go ahead. You'll like it.

Banned Spammer
    Between here and there but mostly here close to the donuts.
    I was about 60.
    Its not a big deal there are millions of older men with pierced ears.
    My eldest daughter asked why and I said because I wanted to, so the same reason you got yours done.
    She said well OK then.
    I never got anyone asking why other than her but I would have given the same answer because I wanted to.
    The whole gay connotation was forgotten 20 years ago so no need to worry.

There’s no age limit, I was 64 when I did it. It’s a bother for the first couple of months to wear them 24/7 and cleaning twice a day but I’m glad I did it.

I don't think there is anything wrong with getting them done at 10, 18, 30 or 68. If you want them done, do it.
    But...... I agree with Micki, 5) if your wife is putting up that many argument points, she doesn't like the idea. You've always got to remember that she has a say in this, she is your wife.
    Xx

WOW

it was my first thought.

Your life is really controlled by others.

No one cares and if they do I don't need them in my life. It is that simple, life is just to short and at 63 I don't have that much left.

Just smile and say " have a nice day"

Silver Member Majella St Gerard's Avatar
    This theme never dies. Just do it for crying out loud.

Banned Read only
    Rhonda,
    I've never seen it as a need to prove anything , so many men nowdays have their ears pierced so it's not to make a point about being a Cder or TG . I'm happy with clippons and I wear them most days .

The first time? Late twenties, I guess. Last time - 59, I think. That was three years ago, so "men your age" definitely get their ears pierced. I have had exactly one coworker ask why, (I still present as male at work), and a couple of compliments on the plain studs or small gold hoops I wear every day. People might be curious (though even that is rare), but in general, they just don't care.

Other thoughts... The selection of clip-ons sucks

Get them pierced, Rhonda.
    Calling bigotry an "opinion" is like calling arsenic a "flavor".

Quote Originally Posted by Rhonda Darling View Post
    If your ears are not pierced but you wish they were, what is holding you back?
    Mine aren't pierced because my wife agrees with your wife on reasons 2 and 3 (and Micki's reason number 5).
    I get grief if there is any sign of an indent (real or imagined) in my earlobe after taking off clip ons. She is convinced that everyone will notice and the world will end.

Banned Read only
    Just got my ears pierced yesterday at age 54, you are never too old.

Silver Member

But you are clearly too old. After 65, men bleed to death if they get their ears pierced! Don't do it, it's a trap!

Never to late, go get them done

I got mine pierced at 54. I wear earrings 24/7 ever since, sometimes studs but usually small hoops or sleepers (because I like them better). I don't wear dangly ones or large hoops except with hair & makeup.

My 2c on points 1-4 is that they're specious nonsense at this point in our lives. At 68, everybody you know has already had far more important things happen in their lives than whether someone has holes in their ears or not. I tell people my age and older - I wanted to, so I did; I figured I'm not going to live forever, so I might as well enjoy it. Anyone with any life experience totally relates to that line of thought, even if not the specifics. Worst case, they mentally categorize me as being "a bit odd", but that's fair enough; I probably am

Your wife probably knows these are weak arguments too, if she's given it any real thought. So I agree with Micki that there are likely other fears at play here, probably unspoken.

But still. I'm in the "go for it" camp.
    Last edited by Eemz; 06-10-2019 at 03:46 AM.

Silver Member
    Aunt Kelly's comment: The selection of clip-ons sucks is spot on. I've developed the knack of converting studs to clip-ons or magnetic, and current types of ear fastenings, and they are wonderful... wearing same for hours as I type, and no lobe soreness.

Quote Originally Posted by Meghan4now View Post

But you are clearly too old. After 65, men bleed to death if they get their ears pierced! Don't do it, it's a trap!

You forgot to mention the excruciating pain! Pain that lasts for weeks!!

Before you can love another, you must first like yourself

I Aim To Misbehave

Labels belong on BOXES, not PEOPLE!

I got mine done last November at 69 ( been in the closet since early childhood) My wife was supportive but I was determined to have them done no matter what. I have had more positive comments than negative, primarily from younger people. “ love your earrings” . The best thing about getting them done and the lack of negative feedback is that i have become much more open in my dress and jewelry. It was like opening a door and letting the sun shine in. I have never been happier with my life . As everyone says just do it you won’t be disappointed.

I got mine done not too long ago around 44. I got a titanium stud and wore them for about 10 days, then went to clear plastic spacers. I know that is not the recommended time and can cause complications, it was very difficult to get the plastic in and I thought I may have screwed up, but I could not wear them at work. I went then for the next six weeks using the plastic and keeping everything cleaned. No one ever really noticed the plastic spacers, nor did they say anything about them and I can tell you that it was worth it. Here in a few weeks I intend to get a second set and most likely do the same thing as before but a bit more careful and I have about a 15 day break from work to let them heal up before I change them. Again I don't suggest everyone do what I did, and if you do it, really make sure that you keep them clean and treat them daily until they are fully healed.

I can honestly say that getting them done and having the freedom to wear any earring was worth the time and frustration! For me it was an exhilarating experience to wear my first set of dangley earrings and swing them around.

As for your wife's worries. I agree with Micki and the others that you need to find a way to garner your wife's consensus.

Good luck!
    Love makes everyone equal.

I've known several men who have had their ears pierced at age 65+. A (GG) friend of my mom's had hers done just before she turned 80. I don't think it's that unusual nowadays on men of any age. The only rule is that you won't be able to enjoy them until you do it, so don't waste too much time thinking about it or refuting other people's arguments against it.

(On the other extreme ... I had mine done at age nine, in 1966.)

- Diane