Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A day with my mother in law

A day with my mother in law

So, my mother in law called Friday night and wondered if we could help her pick up some things from her sister's house and help her sort through them for donation to a charity or to be given away to whoever might want/need them. My wife had to do some stuff for work but I said sure I can come over and help out. My mother in law is a neat lady, can be a pain sometimes but a really neat ol southern belle with an accent so thick you can cut it with a knife. She knows I crossdress, she had come to visit us about a year ago before we moved back into her area and was helping out by cleaning around the house, doing laundry etc while we were at work and noticed that there were 2 different sizes of panties and bras in the laundry and no mens underwear. So that led to her straight out asking at dinner one night, told her my story and she was shocked. She asked if I was gay or a bisexual, and then just said well, OK and didn't mention it again while she was there or since.

So, Saturday morning we go over to her sisters and find ... the pile. Her sister has gotten into the minimalist movement so has decided to rid herself of things she doesn't NEED. This is a lady who goes shopping every Saturday and buys whatever gets her attention and their guest room is full of piles of clothes that she might have worn once or twice, some never. So we loaded everything up and went back to my mother in laws to sort through everything. Skirts, dresses, capri pants, shoes, shoes, shoes, purses, shorts, blouses, shirts and 4 big suitcases all the clothes were hardly worn or still new with tags. After an hour or so my mother in law asked me to look at what she had found ... she had opened up the suitcases and found panties, bras, swimsuits, slips, nylons, socks, garter belts all new and still in the bags with receipts - Vanity Fair, Shadowline, Bali, Victorias Secret, SOMA, Jockey ... every color, cut and style you could think of. Her sister has been dieting forever and her weight changes all the time so some of them were my size, some were too small and some too big, some were recently purchased but we also found a bunch of bags that had receipts from the late 90's and early 2000's. My mother in law hesistantly asked me if I wanted any of them? Well ... yes, yes I did if she was ok with it. She told me to take what I want, the rest are going to charity.

I grabbed everything in my size and the ones in my wife's sizes and set them to the side and then went through the other clothes and grabbed what I liked and what I thought would look good on my wife. We finished up and my mother in law made us some sandwiches and tea and we sat down to eat. She wanted to know if she could ask me some questions so I told her to fire away. She was really curious about me dressing and wanted to ask more questions about it. Did I want to be a girl/woman, when did I start wearing womens clothes, when did I tell my wife, how many people knew, did I take things from people, had I ever taken or worn any of her clothes? We had a really long conversation, talked for a few hours and I answered her truthfully about everything. When I packed everything in the car for my wife and I she came up and gave me a hug, looked at me and told me thank you, thank you for being honest, I know it must have been hard. I thanked her and joked with her about going clothes shopping together and said that maybe we could have a girls pool day, just her, my wife and I all in our suits. She blushed bright red and said she would think about it, but didn't know if she could do that. I kept joking with her, making her laugh and trying to make her feel more comfortable about everything. Told her I loved her, gave her another hug and headed toward the house.

When I got home my wife asked how it went so I told her everything that had happened. She laughed and said that her mom had called and told her we had talked and that I had a bunch of lingerie and other clothes for the both of us. She also said that her mom mentioned I had joked about having a girls swim day and wanted her to pass on that she appreciated the thought, but she didn't think she would be comfortable doing that. My wife laughed and told me that just having her mom talk to me about it, and the fact that she had encouraged me to pick through the lingerie and clothes with her right there was a major step.

All in all a fun day, and I got to know my mother in law better and she got to know me as well.

Great read, fantastic story
    Kelly a.k.a. VS Fan

That's awesome! Thanks for sharing this.

Aspiring Member
    That's a wonderful story! Sherrii

You have an amazing mother-in-law and wife! Be good to them.
    Hugs, Carole

Loved your excellent story.
    Leslie Mary Shy
    Remember this:
    You do not have to be a man to love a woman, or be a woman to love women's clothes on her or yourself.

This is a wonderful story. She must've struggled with parts of it, but most of all, she understand that she loves you, her daughter loves you, and you love them as well. A triumph, I say.
    Too much mascara is almost enough.

Contact me on MeWe mewe.com/i/maceyg

What a wonderful story.
    It's always heartwarming to hear of someone compassionately trying to figure this out, from the outside, having their questions answered honestly, and having a positive reaction.
    It reinforces the opinion that I want to believe. Most people are good and loving, despite the stories of negativity that seem to be constantly paraded through the media.
    -peace
    -Gracie

Silver Member
    Great story. I think that even though it was odd for her, and a little uncomfortable, the fact that she could carry on the conversation is very telling. I would say that her open-minded attitude probably has influence on your wife's acceptance. My wife's mom would be howling and getting the torches ready. I joked with my wife last night that she ought to invite her down to pride. My wife has enough of a hard time with it. She shuddered to think of her mom's reaction.

But to your story, what a lucky stroke. Who doesn't love new clothes, especially free!

Silver Member
    Your MIL is a gem. Keep her and keep on making her daughter happy.

Great story. I’m sure she feels much better having answers straight from you now. Your relationship is going to become stronger. Take it for what it is but don’t push the envelope with mom in-law

My mother in law is like I said a really neat lady, she has style and class and can quote you verse and chapter on etiquette and bearing. Some of her views are rock solid old school so her opening up as much as she has is definitely progress. The swim day suggestion was like I said, just a way to try and make her laugh and make it positive all around.

Will we ever go clothes shopping together, go and get our nails done together? ... I'm going to say no. BUT, I do think I eased her mind on some things and she sees that I don't bite and am not THE GREAT SATAN lol. She knows I love her daughter and would and have stepped in front of some pretty hairy things for her so I know that helped too.

Being in the South, growing up in her generation, things were definitely different. Again, progress was made and I know better than to push or poke it with a sharp stick. It was just a really nice day spent with a really great lady.

Thanks soooooo much i really enjoy your story!

Heather

Thanks for sharing your story. God bless your wife and MIL. I've been married twice and can honestly say that neither of my MIL's would have been as understanding and gracious as your MIL.
    Jill

Give your MIL a hug from all of us!
    Crissy

We all should be so lucky to have a mother in law like that. Thank you for sharing your story.

Aspiring Member sarah_hillcrest's Avatar
    Wow, what a great mother in law.

Your Mother in law sounds like a cool lady.
    Angie

That is soo cool! Sounds like a great day. Thank you for sharing

Thanks for sharing your interaction that turned out well!

Heather, what a wonderful story of acceptance.
    Please call me Jamie, I always_have crossdressed, I always will, "alwayshave".

I enjoyed reading your post Heather, thanks for sharing. Kudos to you and your MIL for the question and answer session.

Karen

Good for you, Heather!

Great story my mother in-law is 85 and doesn't need the shock at her age lol

Very awesome in both new clothes and an accepting mother-in-law.

My mother-in-law is always shopping and donating clothes. So the donated clothes first go to my wife to pick through then through me, then my wife's friends, then we take them to the donations. But all this stuff is a little big for me, so I usually take stuff based on fabric to make skirts out of.