Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fear of Being Recognized, Hit On or Hit

Fear of Being Recognized, Hit On or Hit

I accept that the pink fog is a part of who I am just like my bones. Until a few years ago, I felt like I was the only one like me, as many of you have said in the past. I'm a tall, broad shoulder, single gurl, so I would definitely draw attention if I were to go out in public. That said, I know I can pull off looking feminine, my facial features are reasonably attractive, my Adam's Apple doesn't really show, and I've learned to walk in 3" heels. However, my hips may be an issue.

The one thing I do always wear now are women's jeans, but that's it.

I wish we CDs had local get-togethers on a regular basis with other en femme ladies, so I could visit in person with like minded people. There is Hamburger Mary's in Long Beach, but it's an hour and a half drive each way.

A big issue for me right now is that I share a house with two guys my age, so even my home dressing is limited. Veronica never comes out of my bedroom when they are home.

My big fears are being recognized by people I know, women I may want to date, and being hit on (or hit) by guys. This has kept me from getting a makeover, wig shopping (there's a top notch store 25 minutes from me), and going out fully dressed.

Most threads are about married issues, but I want to hear from you single, en femme ladies like me, please. How do you feel about all of this?

Please forgive me if I posted this in the wrong section, but thank you for reading about my challenges.
    Last edited by Veronica4me; 06-21-2019 at 01:46 PM.
    Veronica

Love who you are! You are uniquely you!!

Banned Spammer
    Between here and there but mostly here close to the donuts.
    I am sure there is a trans support group in your area so check with your local LGBT office.
    What fear do you have exactly?
    Your friends know you as you they won't be looking for you dressed as a female so chances are they won't recognize you in girl mode.
    My Daughter and son in law were two feet away from me and didn't recognize me out shopping in girl mode one day.
    The reason being I would think is they weren't expecting to see me dressed as a female.
    My daughter would have called me out on it if she did recognize me but she has not said a word all these years later.

Banned Read only
    Every experience is unique, as well as the environment that you travel in. You raise three distinct issues:

First, the possibility of being recognized by acquaintances. There are plenty of opinions out there so here's mine. If you are consumed with insecurity when going out, you will tend to act in ways that draw unnatural attention, even suspicion, to yourself. If you think people are out to recognize you, you will be nervous, will stare at people and will probably fulfill your own dreaded prophecy. If, on the other hand, you start with small excursions and build up as your confidence grows, you will discover that most people are too self absorbed to notice anyone else (who isn't sticking out like a sore thumb). Sure, there are always young girls traveling in packs and pervy adult men, both of whom have military-grade gender radar, but those two constituencies can be brutal to just about anyone.

Second, the possibility of being hit on or flirted with by a guy. Since you will be relatively new to dressing jn public, it will be apparent to anyone who is paying attention to you that you are not a genetic woman. That's OK. If a guy hits on you, you should react the same way you would if a guy hit in you while you were dressed in male attire. Be courteous, be polite and carry on. Male attention is not a bad thing, you won't catch an STD and if you were truly worried about an affront to your male dignity you wouldn't be out in that dress, anyway. Women deal with eager, aggressive and occasionally inappropriate men every day of their lives. Just smile and carry on.

Third, the threat of violence. There are two scenarios where I think the threat of violence must be taken seriously. One is if you are walking alone in a desolate and/or dark area and come across a shady guy (or guys) and the other is if you flirt and lead on an ignorant or intoxicated man who hasn't quite figured out that you are also a man. This usually happens in a night life environment where there is alcohol or other substances. Other than those two scenarios, I have never ever felt fear for my personal safety - and I have done some very very foolish things while all dolled up.

So that's just my opinion.

Banned Spammer
    Good points Monica I totally agree.
    Especially the affront to you male dignity part, you are exactly right.
    If that is a problem you have then I have to ask why are you going out in public dressed as a woman?

Veronica,

The fear of being recognised is one often reported here but as Tracii points out, if you're dressed as a female, half decent makeup and a reasonable wig, most people tend not to give you a second look. If it's that concerning then bite the bullet and travel out of town for your early forays out. Gain your confidence that way.

As for safety it's largely common sense. There are places in my home city that I wouldn't go to even if I had a squad of fully armed special forces to keep me company while in drab. It's been written so often. Although it's counter intuitive there's safety in numbers. A busy shopping mall enables you to hide in plain sight, to merge into the crowd. As long as you're dressed appropriately for the place/time of day you'll go unnoticed as long as, as Monica points out, you're able to relax and not act like you're doing wrong.
    Who dares wears Get in, get out without being noticed

Silver Member Majella St Gerard's Avatar
    First you have to accept yourself and not care what others think.
    Getting hit on by men is a given, no matter how you look, men are pigs.
    Getting hit, stand your ground and be a man...in a dress.

Banned Spammer
    Helen is right don't go to places most normal women won't go. Just common sense really.
    Act like you belong where you are and people are usually too wrapped up in their own little world to realize you are there.
    I rarely get hit on by men but there are some that look and maybe whistle or take a second look.
    Thats no big deal really I just look back and smile if they are handsome.
    If they want to do you harm then stand your ground like any guy would.

Thank you for the feedback, ladies! I was a wrestler in the old days, so defending myself is not an issue if anyone takes a swing at me (that's the least of my fears, really). I have some freedom at home until tomorrow evening, so at least I can be en femme here. Maybe I'll go for a drive all made up after sunset tonight!
    Veronica

Banned Spammer
    Enjoy your drive.

I agree with some of the comments you should be able to find some support group closer to you. If you are hit on by a man or even a woman just smile and say thank you and move on. Enjoy who you are.

Monica, I generally agree with everything you said EXCEPT the third point. Violence against trans and CD women has shot up in recent months and we are in potential danger everywhere we go. Which isn’t to say we shouldn’t go out, but rather we need to be conscious of our safety at ALL times.

Do any of you go to a support group? If so, what's it like and do you go dressed?
    Veronica

Banned Spammer
    I found a support group back in 2008 or so but kind of grew out of needing their support so I don't attend any more.
    I figured out who I was and what I was looking for.
    I went dressed 99% of the time.
    We would go out as a group to dinner or a show after the meetings.
    It was always a good time. I would suggest joining one just for the social aspect.

P.S. Don't think you are the only one in your area going thru this because I assure you there are plenty more in the same situation as you.
    Last edited by Tracii G; 06-21-2019 at 04:46 PM.

Silver Member

Quote Originally Posted by Veronica4me View Post
    My big fears are being recognized by people I know, women I may want to date, and being hit on (or hit) by guys.
    Valid fears. But you also need to remember that our behavior can result in a backlash from people who we don't even interact with. There are plenty of people out there who still hate that we even exist, who will find a way to make our lives difficult (or worse) in order to influence us in order to try to get us to leave their communities, workplaces, schools, etc..
    I'm not out; so I get to be a fly on the wall and hear what the general public says about us. And while most people don't really care, there are still substantial numbers of people who do things that may hurt us, either physically or financially, in the background that we may never even know about. Consider the bosses who don't like LGBTQ people. They can hire others instead, simply saying that they value the other person's particular skills more than ours. Or when it comes time to lay people off, we might wind up being the ones who are the first to go, by the management doing things such as eliminating our departments or positions. It's the same as being evicted; if you're living in a two family house and the landlord doesn't want a LGBTQ person, all they have to do is tell you that they need the apartment for their family, and bingo, you're evicted. There are so many ways to make our lives more difficult, more uncomfortable, that the laws can't protect us from. Go to a restaurant en femme and the owner doesn't like that? They'll give you a crappy table. Request a different table? Then can tell you it's reserved for a different party who made their reservation before you did. The ways of treating us poorly just go on and on.

Quote Originally Posted by Veronica4me View Post
    I was a wrestler in the old days, so defending myself is not an issue if anyone takes a swing at me
    In case you haven't noticed, people who don't like us aren't usually interested in fair fights. You can't defend against what you don't see coming. Doesn't matter how big you are if a brick is coming towards your head from behind. And homophobes often travel in groups, so you might wind up fighting against several of them, at least one of whom you're not going to be able to keep track of, and THAT'S the guy who's going go do you in.

Be careful out there. Don't assume anything. And remember, one of my favorite quotes, 'just because you're paranoid, doesn't mean that they're not out to get you!' Like Micki wrote, violence towards us is up, as the political leaders in power have made it acceptable to lash out physically against people that they hate, just because they hate them.
    Some causes of crossdressing you've probably never even considered: My TG biography at:http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/...=1#post1490560
    There's an addendum at post # 82 on that thread, too. It's about a ten minute read.
    Why don't we understand our desire to dress, behave and feel like a girl? Because from childhood, boys are told that the worst possible thing we can be, is a sissy. This feeling is so ingrained into our psyche, that we will suppress any thoughts that connect us to being or wanting to be feminine, even to the point of creating separate personalities to assign those female feelings into.

Aspiring Member
    I am not claiming that none of these things happen ever but I have been out dressed hundreds of times, mostly within 30 miles of home, and I have never been recognised, hit on or hit. I go mainly to shops and restaurants so no shady bars or night clubs. I have been close to people who know me a few times, including someone I was introduced to as Susan, who later gave me a drunken kiss. She did not recognise me. I had on make up, a dress, a wig and heels as most of us would, so there was a lack of visual clues. I am not a member of a support group - I do my own thing and any support I get out there is from women, who seem to like what I do and how I do it.

Well I guess that would be me. I have been to San Diego on vacation about 3 years ago.

I was dressed all the time. A couple things happened. Like down town this guy followed me into a drug store. I walked up to an SA. He was taller than me and I'm in heels. I spun around and was shoulder to shoulder with the SA ,the guy turned and left. The kid was a bit bewildered. I thanked him and went on with shopping.

I would not be afraid to go anywhere. I can take care of myself, it wouldn't be very lady like, or would to if I was to hit him with one of my heels . LOL.

There is a support group I go to up here. There are some CDs that go, even tho it is more support than social I think it would still be good for someone like you.

I would recommend looking at places to hangout in Hillcrest. If your friends and family are all straight, it’s unlikely they’ll be hanging out in that area, it’s a gayborhood, so people are generally on the lookout to protect each other from hate crimes, and it’s a gay area and you’ll be dressed as a woman, so you won’t get hit on too much if at all.

Aspiring Member
    Veronica - When I moved due to my new job and my wife and I lived apart, I was able to find a three support groups. (this was almost 20 years ago before the internet was what it is today), I decided to attend a meeting and met the most wonderful folks in the world. My second meeting I decided to dress at the meeting location. It was terrifying to come out of the bathroom in my stilettos, hosiery, and bodycon dress, but I was fully accepted by the group. One of the members was a woman transitioning to a man and I became friends with to the point of getting invited to his wedding. He would show us his drivers license where he was this absolutely beautiful woman (the crossdressers I was with were in awe and could not believe it was him)...I could not wait for the next meeting each month to be with other crossdressers...eventually, my wife moved to join me and there came to end of attending support groups. If you can find one in your area, GO.

I was and still am a lot like you, I'm 34 now but didint marry my wife till I was 30. CDing started when I was 7 so I had along time but room mates were always an issue I loved on my own for only 2 years and they were the best 2 years for my alter ego Jessi but she still never left the house for fear of being recognized. It was a smaller town and I was known as a "tough guy", but also in the night clubs and bars alot. It was a small college town and my high school home town. (I grew up 30 min away so next town over wasn't an option either.) I was a little bit of a player back then too so I couldn't share closets with Jessica for fear one of the women would find out. So in other words jess has never been free in 27 years. Sometimes I wonder what would happen if I got caught? What would I do? I mean i must be pretty good if I can hide it for this long? Will my friends ever talk to me know? So much could have gone wrong, but so much could have gone right too! What if one of those girls found my stash and liked it? Like really liked it? What I'm getting at is you dont know what tommorow is gonna bring if you dont embrace today, now this is comming from a guy who's wife doesn't know he likes to wear womens clothing. But I'm learning like you are, just on different levels...
    Deep down you know you wanna be free. But freedom will never come until you take that leap of faith that you'll find your place of happiness and acceptance.

Banned Spammer
    You might think you are pretty good at hiding it but I'll bet more than one person knows the truth.
    My point is you may think you have everyone fooled but good chances are you don't.

This is a forum to be supportive, not a place to try and score points off of other people and try to make them feel badly. Please be more civilized and thoughtful with your responses or don't respond at all.

Great story, Jessi, and thank you for sharing it.
    Veronica

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar
    Roni, there r a goodly number of T girls in San Diego. I just met a few at Viva Wildside. A week long T event in Vegas a few weeks ago.

Also, there is a T contingent that drives up from SD to Long Beach on T Girl Sat. nite at Mary's. They stay overnite in a motel.

Besides Viva Wildside, Diva Las Vegas is a week long T event in Vegas. U could attend one of those, dress day and nite for a week, and meet countless T girls from around the country!
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

Thank you, DocRobbySherry!

Where do they stay when they go to Mary's? I think I'm going to go try that AFTER I learn how to do my makeup better.

[SIZE=1]- - - Updated - - -[/SIZE]

Guess what? I waited until it was almost dark last night, and Veronica just went out fully dressed in heels with a VERY BAD makeup job, got in the car, and drove a few miles around the neighborhood, including the center with the ULTA and MAC stores. When headlights shined in her face, she raised a hand in front of her face. I couldn't stop her.

After my vacation that starts next week (visiting family), I am having Veronica get a makeover!

Have a great weekend!!!
    Veronica

Banned Read only
    Veronica,
    First question what response do you really think you would get from your housemates . Is it not better to come out and tell them rather than catch you out , being the wrestler maybe be offensive rather than defensive .

I attend three support / social groups it is a great way of safely dressing and meeting other members of the TG community , even if the drive is so long you never know you could meet someone local to you and form your own group and perhaps a GNO .

As for your look well people come in all shapes and sizes , not all women have hourglass figures so you will fit in soemwhere . It's mostly to do with finding a balance and being comfortable and confident . It does take time but once you've stepped out the door a few times it does get easier . I've been surprised recently when meeting people that know me in male mode how little they recognised , OK the voice was the giveaway but by then I've been accepted more as a female than male .

The bottom line is how bad is your dysphoria and how deep is your need ?