Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Conversation in a thrift shop yesterday

Conversation in a thrift shop yesterday

Me coming up to the till with a red mini skirt and an LBD

Manager: these are cute
    Katie: (in boy mode and caught of guard): they’re not for me (laughs)
    Manager: oh I didn’t think they were...we do get a lot of cross dressers in here though
    Katie: yeah?
    Manager: yeah I’m fine with it...
    Katie: that’s cool
    Manager: and lots of young men like you get things for fancy dress
    Katie: ah
    Manager: I’m sure these are for your girlfriend though (smiles)
    Katie: well maybe...

First time I’ve come close to letting an SA know - still trembling!

Oh honey! You DID let an SA know! TRUST me, the second you blurred out “these aren’t for me” she knew.

Micki is right ! Maybe before you said anything. Experienced SA’s are very perceptive. One of the first times I shopped, I had a very similar experience. I told my wife about it and she said the same thing...”they know”. I believed her. Now, if asked, I don’t admit or deny...just smile, pay and leave. A little while ago, I was at Macy’s buying some hose. The SA, I now think, knew the minute I walked in. She was so nice and easy to talk to. She described the sheerness of different brands and colors. My favorites are Hanes Silk Reflections...a Little Color. I told her and she smiled and told me they were her favorites too. She lifted her skirt a little to show those were what she was wearing. I smiled, lifted my pants leg and showed her I, too was wearing HSR..a Little Color. She just smiled. A couple visits later, she asked me if I’d have a cup of coffee. As soon as we sat down, she told me she’s been fascinated by cders and would I be willing to talk to her about my dressing. I agreed. We had several more coffee break discussions, but then she got transferred. It was fun chatting and answering questions.

Banned Spammer
    Between here and there but mostly here close to the donuts.
    Yep you pretty much admitted they were for you so now when you go back you needn't worry.

Aspiring Member
    I mainly shop in shops where I have been before, either as a male or dressed. When I go into a new place as a man or see an SA I have not seen before in one of my usual shops, they often take the clothes from me to put in a changing room or if it is a shoe shop they ask if I would like to try them on. Sometimes I ask how they knew they were for me and they say they can tell. I am a masculine man so there must be something in the way I react to the clothes. Assume the SA knows because they almost certainly do.

Banned Read only
    Told an SA at Nordstroms when buying pantyhose. She was very cool about it, and we talked about different colors and styles. Much easier when you're open about it. Some SA's are just simply all business, others are more curious. Only had one that acted funny toward me.

Katie, the manager seems totally cool, not sure why it would cause you to tremble.
    Please call me Jamie, I always_have crossdressed, I always will, "alwayshave".

The SAs who talk to you as of you're a client and just shopping are the best. And when they go above and beyond is wonderful. When she lifted her skirt that little bit? Above and beyond for sure. Moreover, you knew she accepted you.

An early highlight was having a SA be very nice to a young CD way back when all types of people were still in closets. Wasn't courageous enough to try things on though!

I went to target last week, all male, jeans, tennies, but with very femm. Blouse. Shopped for panties and thigh hi hose. No problems. It was nice.

Gold Member
    Katie:
    Your Money is just as good as anyone else. Tell her they are for you, and ask her if she has any suggestions
    on other idem's that you might be interested in.
    Who knows, it just might work out to your advantage.
    Rader

If everything you are buying just happens to
    be in your size that is a pretty strong hint .
    Another hint you turn bright red and
    start making excuses

JAS

Having worked in a large retail clothing store for two years I can tell you that S.As get bored like anyone else. So most of the gals actually get a kick out of trying to figure out if a guy is buying cute women's clothes for his Lady or for himself ?

And as Jean Ann said they for sure try and peak at the size of the item to see if it fits you .

Also most guys would not ever buy their Girlfriend a Skirt or Dress from a used clothing store ! LOL

Silver Member Majella St Gerard's Avatar
    You do realize that NOBODY cares.

Banned Spammer
    Between here and there but mostly here close to the donuts.
    SAs don't care who the items are for.
    Nobody else in the store cares either. Do you care what some one else buys?

Interesting subject. I guess we all have our SA stories. I posted this on 18 February 2012.... lol!

Shopping at Sear's on Valentine's Day night
    Valentine's Day afternoon I went down to the lake cabin make the boat cover was still on the boat, move a tv that I had been hauling around in the back of my car for a week down there and generally check on the place since I hadn't been down there since before Thanksgiving. It was all secure.

I headed over to Branson to the VF store but I got there about 6:30 and it was closed.

So I went over to the Tangier outlet mall (can you tell I'm in Branson) to the Jockey Store. I bought eight pair of Jockey for Her pants on sale for 2.99 plus a 14% Valentine's day discount. I got french cuts and extended briefs in every color the store had. The woman asked me if I knew about their 100% satisfaction guarantee....if SHE wasn't satisfied, bring them back for a total refund. I told her that I know what I liked and I am sure these panties will be satisfactory.

But I wasn't done. I headed back to Springfield and stopped by Dillard's in the mall and bought 5 pair of Cabernet full cut brief panties in black, red, white, blue and yellow. I asked the sales clerk if these pants (I used that word) ever went on sale. She told me they are such a good seller at that price and they were comfortable and they sell a lot of them. I told her yes, these pants are so comfortable that I keep coming back for more.

I was wearing a pair of elastic waist Chic blue jeans, an Eddie Bauer plaid shirt and a zip up hoodie. I was underdressed also. I like dressing andryogneous--

I had a 20% coupon off at Penney's and a 25% coupon off at Sears. I went to Sears and picked up a sears brand nylon night gown and a three pack of sears panties, not the VIP panties, the old blue package panties.

At the checkout counter, the girl asked is I got her the right size. I told her I am sure the size is correct. She then asked if I wanted to keep the hanger.

I said, yes.

She asked if I wanted to use my sears card and she looked up to see if I was a member of the Sears Club. I gave her my phone number and She must have seen my purchase history because she said I bet you have 5 of these hanging in your closet in every color (if only she knew!)

I told her we had enough colors and I was actually looking for white and coulted find any white nightgowns in the size I wanted. She commented that the gown I picked out--- just a basic sear's nylon VF knockoff-- would certainly look cute on me... I told her A lot of things look cute on me. In my mind, I said, I have a perfect body. We both laughed.

I could sense another person in line behind me. The clerk kept up with her banter. I was enjoying it, I don't think I was blushing, but it was fun.

She picked up the package of panties and told me she thought I'd look cute in the pink panties, and the blue and beige ones too, they were so cute. I again told her I was looking for white but didn't find any. I had picked up a size 9 package--these run big because I had bought a size 11 before Xmas and they swam on me.

She told me did I have the right size as these run big. I told her I knew that and that there is even a note in the package stating that fact, these panties run big but shrink down in the wash.... I know because I am using that card as a bookmark in the book I am reading... she said she didn't know that.

She asked if I wanted a receipt or an e-receipt.. I opted for teh e-receipt. So, I don't know her name but she did make me smile.

I think she knew who I was buying these for. When my wife got home from work this evening I told her what happened. She wondered how many old men buy panties from Sears.

I reminded her of the time she and I wear at the VF store in Branson and the sales clerk told me, as I was purchasing VF briefs (for me--- when shopping with the wife, while she will pick out styles she thinks I will like, she makes me carry the panties and pay for them, she tells me what to do. She wonders if I want to buy something pretty. I always do.)

Anyhow, several years ago at VF store, at the check out, the checker...a middle aged woman about my age, maybe a little younger, says 'these are very comfortable, lots of men buy them.' I said something like yes, they are comfortable, not agreeing that I wear them or not. Then my wife says oh you now you like to wear them.

Well, they are comfortable I said. The clerk said I thought so. I asked how. She said the sizes. Oh. I was buying big sizes and my wife is about a size 7. Have a nice day and enjoy your purchase she said, I will said I.

When shopping for women’s clothing and a SA is friendly, I usually show them photos of me dressed. It warms them right up and tends to make it a nicer experience.

As someone highly experienced in retail, I can tell you that this is a pretty dicey play. It can really go either way, but honestly, unless it’s relevant to your needs, we don’t want to see your personal pictures. If you’re looking for something to match the outfit or whatever it’s fine, but other than that, we don’t care.

Quote Originally Posted by Majella St Gerard View Post
    You do realize that NOBODY cares.
    Just to add it’s only a big deal to YOU. I’m sure she never gave it another thought.

You are not doing anything to be ashamed of so try to stop acting like you are. No lies be real.
    Last edited by Di; 06-23-2019 at 05:27 AM.
    If you are a Genetic Female (Female at Birth) and would like to join us in the F.A.B. Forum, please follow the link.

F.A.B. Forum Access

Sherlyn,My beautiful sweet girl
    You forever and always will be my one and only true love . ❤️

Administrator

Aspiring Member
    at my age(64) i just tell the SA's they are for me and usually get a pleasant response

There's no point in making excuses. The SAs see right through them. If you are up front and tell them that you are shopping for yourself you will have a better shopping experience.

I usually shop en homme, and I like to make a little game of it.

If the SA asks me if the [insert clothing type here] is for me, I may answer

"Yes, it is. [with a little bit of sarcasm] How do you think it will look on me?

"Umm, I don't think it will fit."

If they say, "Did you get the right size?", I'll say something like, "I'm sure it will fit her [meaning Steffi]."
    Hi, I'm Steffi and I'm a crossdresser... And I accept and celebrate both sides of me. Or, maybe I'm gender fluid.

Like others have said, when I reach the register to pay, I beat the lady to the punch and ask does she think I will look good in this ? It has opened up lots of good conversations.

I agree with Amy. Talk to the SA and if you are nervous ask for her advice. You will make a friend and get help when you go back.

I think she suspected, but your reaction gave it away for sure.

I think this video explains it pretty well. Starts in minute 8.

When haters hate, I celebrate!