Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Long Hair, no Job

Aspiring Member
    If you don't need the money and are just looking for something to keep you busy keep your hair. Who knows you cut it and still don't get the jobs. Find some other interest if you are just looking for something to keep you form sitting around the house. If you really need the money or can't find another way to make it then maybe consider cutting.

Platinum Member
    My brother ran into your situation when he took an early buyout rather than be cut with no buyout....IBM. While he worked for a large corporation and was just another highly skilled employee among many, when applying at smaller companies he was viewed as a threat to the person interviewing him. He usually had more experience and skills than the person he would work for. He did get another good paying job commensurate with his expertise, but, it was a big company where he would be just another employee among many. His last job after another buyout was with in a division of a large company where he replaced a person retiring based on age. He was now the entire department. No threat to any boss.

As some have stated you may be over qualified or seen as a threat to somebody else's job. If you're in a conservative field perhaps the long hair is a turnoff. It may be an age related issue. Perhaps the company views an investment in you will not be returned if you're close to retirement. Or, you may be viewed as not affordable based on your credentials.

If you really do not want to cut your hair I go with being a consultant. If you have the needed skills a company needs then the company gets your expertise without entering a long term commitment.

Would they ask a woman to cut her hair? No so keep your hair the way you want it. Doubt the length of your hair would effect your capabilities to do the job. x

I couldn't resist....https://youtu.be/c9lh7lqZojc

There's that smile! CarlaWestin's Avatar
    Cut your hair, get a job, quit bitchin'.
    I've waited so long for this time. Makeup is so frustrating. Shaking hands and I look so old. This was a mistake.
    My new maid's outfit is cute. Sure fits tight.
    And then I step into the bedroom and in the mirror, I see a beautiful woman looking back at me.
    Smile, Honey! You look fabulous!

It seems to me that age rather than the hair would be the issue. If you really think it's the hair, you just have to do a cost/benefit check on keeping/cutting it. I'd tend to go with keeping it. I would suck to cut it off and not get the jobs anyway.

I would think that at the senior leadership level, the long hair would be less of an impediment than if you were just looking to be a drone. This depends on the type of company, of course, but in forward looking companies of all stripes, the decision makers are seldom chosen for their conformity. Look at Zuckerberg, Richard Branson, and Elon Musk.

In fact, (and I definitely ran into this, as I approached retirement) what you may be up against is age discrimination or at least age skepticism. Often senior people can come with impressive resumes, but then turn out to have difficulty adapting quickly to new situations. In a case like that, the long hair might actually be an advantage, signaling to an interviewer that in at least one concrete way, you definitely can think outside the box.

It is your situation, and your call, but in my opinion, for someone at your age with your level of experience, the hair is not going to be the deciding factor pro or con.
    I am a vessel of the goddess. Let me express my calling to a feminine life through nurturing love and relatedness.

Long hair doesn't make a girl cut it Robin if it doesn't help start growing it again.
    Angie

Banned Spammer
    Between here and there but mostly here close to the donuts.
    Find a new field to get into maybe.
    I worked in the transportation industry for over 40 years and know it from the bottom to the top.
    I decided when I retired to leave it behind and be done with it and move on to something else.
    Took my hobby of repairing and or building guitars to a more serious level by working for a very high end boutique guitar builder and learned a lot more.
    I now have local players bring their stuff to me to fix.The local big box guitar store reached out to me to be their in house guitar tech but I turned them down.
    I have even worked for several bands as a roadie and guitar tech out on the road.Met a lot of artists too and made some great friends.
    My point is try something new,you have run a business before so you know what it takes.
    Last edited by Tracii G; 06-30-2019 at 11:47 AM.

Ideally it wouldn't be a factor, and indeed maybe it hasn't been thus far. One would hope society could evolve past such petty concerns but 🤷*♀️ here we are.
    I guess ultimately, Robin, it's not a question we can answer. You know how badly you need to work or to earn. How does that compare to your need for the expression your hair affords you. Sometimes life is that black and white.
    There can't be anyone on here who hasn't had to do things they didn't want to at some time.
    The good news is your hair will grow back and once you have a job they'd be hard pressed to fire you if you grow it once your foot's in the door.

I missed the part about the motorcycle industry. As a life long rider and occasional worker in the industry I'd have to say, My God! It's pretty sad that the industry has come to that. Then again, Harley Davidson hired a guy who was essentially a cheese monger to run the company, and he went and fired Erik Buell and flushed all that innovation down the toilet.

Speaking of Mr Buell, he's moved over to electric Motorcycles and bicycles, which are coming on strong. Have you taken a look in that area?
    I am a vessel of the goddess. Let me express my calling to a feminine life through nurturing love and relatedness.

Banned Spammer
    Good idea April get in on the new technology and be ahead of the game.
    Last edited by Tracii G; 06-30-2019 at 01:53 PM.

Sorry what do motorcycles have to do with Harley-Davidson? They make hairdryers don't they?! Or is it uncomfortable sofas? Something like that.
    Chocolate teapots! That's what the clownshoes down in Milwaukee make. 😜

Well, you will NEVER get a straight answer on WHY you weren’t hired, so all you can do is speculate. Some companies place greater value on appearance than others. The only thing I can suggest is take a peak at the people already working there. That will give you a gauge on their expectation of appearance.

It's probably the age bit, why hire an older dude when we can get 2 assholes for the same price and fire the one that don't work out. Nu

Silver Member
    You've been applying for senior leadership positions so I do suspect its an age issue along with 'can they afford you'. As an industry icon, and presuming you've kept up with the industry advances in technology, etc., you would be a great consultant. Be affordable and you should have no problems. Good luck!

plain and simple - its the age...keep the hair and screw 'em.
    I'm in the real estate industry. A VERY visual industry. But its when the customers that look at you and they're first comment is...damn...hair to his butt and drive s Jag...I want that job! Its then you realize you have nothing to worry about...
    I did have a client once who when after he actually met me I never got another order from him (I had been contacted by phone and done his work for close to 9 months). So I finally stopped by one day and asked what had happened and he said I didn't fit his companies image. So I asked him how many of his customers had he ever met. He said not a lot. I asked him what type of image did he want to portray. He said we should always appear professional and successful to our clients. Makes them feel better about working with us. Being honest, he said with my long hair I didn't fit the image he wanted his customers to think of when they met me.
    So I asked him to come outside for a moment. Hesitantly, he came out with me. I happened to have driven the white XJS that day. So I asked him, does that car fit the image of your company? He said yes, but he could never own one. That he couldn't afford to take care of it. So I told him that was the very image his customers had of his company because that is the car I drive when I am doing appraisals. I show up in one of three Jags. They think if his Appraiser's can drive a Jag then they must be successful. Then I told him my hair doesn't drive a Jag. My hair doesn't write the appraisals. My hair doesn't make him money. "I" make him money.
    I started getting orders again the next week....

It is ILLEGAL to not hire someone based on advanced age. This is why an interview or application will never ask your age. I believe it’s 45+ that’s covered as a protected class against age discrimination. If you honestly believe that age is the issue as a number of people have speculated, then you need a lawyer.

I think it IS your hair. I had long hair my whole life until I knew an employment change was coming, and cut my hair before it became an issue. I would not have gotten the job I have today if I hadn't cut it. It's wrong, but that's the way it is.

Hair was a big deal to me. I loved messing with it and styling it at home, loved the salon, especially loved roller sets. I got it cut an inch or two at a time over a period of time trying to ease into it. To this day I still miss it. I must say, though, as a guy I look better. Also, the fact is it was/is getting thin at the crown. I didn't realize how thin until it got fairly short. I'm sure that that showed regardless of how elaborate the hairstyle, even though I didn't see it. Wigs are probably more convincing, even though it's very hard for me to admit.

My 2c... more likely and age/experience thing.

> I am considered an Icon in my industry

If you're a recognizable face in the industry then you should keep the hair. Imho. If it's part of your "look" and/or makes you recognisable then you'd be mad to cut it off. Imho.

I presume you are looking for consultancy business and/or work on the basis of your reputation, in which case you actively want people saying "oh yeah that's that guy, I've heard of him". Cutting if off makes you just another interchangeable middle age guy; they probably have a queue of those around the block.

My 2c, based only on the information supplied in the OP.
    YMMV.

I am wondering is it a CD issue or HR issue? We could only guess your field, probably it is not so artistic, as the long hair to be an issue. In my point of view cutting your hair is not a big deal so go for it! But I thing that in the job market exist a hidden discrimination talking in terms of age, origination of work experience, yes and LGBT prejudices as well. Your full apperiance and presentation is not only the hair. There is no one HR that would confess in front of you that your age is an issue. And it is not necessery your age to be declared in advance, there are so many other paths for guessing it.....so, welcome to the board! You can just limit some "disadvantages", not all of them. If you wish the job, cut the hair! (there are so beautifull wigs ) Good luck!

Banned Spammer
    If they don't seem interested tell them you will go ahead and take their competetor's offer and walk out.
    I have done consulting for a transportation company and it wasn't all that great of a position.
    The owner that hired me to help him operate the company wouldn't take my advice anyway.
    I left and 3 years later he went out of business.
    He couldn't manage money or his staff so he had it coming.

Robin, I would cut my hair if I was in the same position.
    Please call me Jamie, I always_have crossdressed, I always will, "alwayshave".

icon - a person or thing regarded as a representative symbol or as worthy of veneration

i agree with eemz, unless op is over stating their icon-ness

Gold Member
    It is hard to tell why someone is having a hard time finding work. At your age though, it probably isn't the hair. Usually when a man can't get hired because of long hair, it is some younger guy who is either a slob or trying to look like a rock star.
    Some people try to change who they are just to get hired but it doesn't always work. I understand how important the hair is to you, so what would happen if you cut it and the situation didn't improve?

Quote Originally Posted by Tracii G View Post
    If no one wants to hire you maybe its not your hair and they just don't want you.
    You could always ask if your hair is the reason and offer to cut it.
    I don't know if any manager would even admit to something like that. They wouldn't want to face a potential law suit.

Quote Originally Posted by Asew View Post
    I doubt it is the hair and more likely the age (they wonder how many years they will get out of you and will it be worth it).
    Most people do not stick around any given company for long anyways. It doesn't even matter what their age is. Even the place I work, I have been there 8 years and even manager turn-around is pretty crazy.
    To put it another way, anyone from the top down is lucky to last even ONE year in most places, let alone "years".
    It takes a true Erin to be a pain in the assatar.