Thread: Inspired by those before us

Inspired by those before us

It's not too late in Pride Month, I hope, to express my thanks for all those who have gone before and comforted and inspired me. I had been dressing for decades before I discovered there were others with the same urges and desires as I had. First, it was exciting and scary to even know there was such a world, and then came the internet and with forums, and suddenly we were not alone. Recently there have been published some collections of images of vintage crossdressers and it has been inspiring for me to look at them. Across decades, even centuries, I sense the same emotions that we feel today as crossdressers. So I want to give a heartfelt curtsy to the gurls who came before us, and live in their images to show us the way forward, sisters across time.

One that comes to mind immediately is a collection of pictures discovered in a box, from Casa Susanna, a resort in New York where crossdressers could go and attempt to be "normal". https://vimeo.com/108593355

And here is a wonderful commentary about it, from York University Professor, Michael Gilbert, also known as Miqqi Alicia.
    on https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CrPJOLcNFj4

There are many more, and older....to be enjoyed....
    Last edited by chrissietoo; 06-30-2019 at 04:35 PM.

You want to talk about Pride and “us girls”, How about the fact it was a trans woman that started the Stonewall riots? It was a trans woman that threw the first stone and implored the gay community to FIGHT for their rights.

Banned Read only
    Chissie,
    You profile page doesn't give much to go on but are you looking for inspiration to head out in the RW ? If you are it's the only way to find , " Normal " . OK technically most of us crossdress , it's just a label to show the World you're possibly TG inside . ( I'm taking care not to speak for everyone ) .

One question do you feel the images you descibe did really help or were they too idealised ?

Banned Read only
    Thanks for posting. I've seen many pictures of this nature on the internet. Frankly, I wish when a person "googles" cross dressers or transsexuals or any variation those type of images appear and not the crap one is able to see these days. I grew up in NYC. When Stonewall occurred NYC like many other places was in total turmoil. Yes, the gays and lesbians were having their heads cracked open. There were pro and anti war parades and fights all the time. There were riots in black Harlem (there was a Spanish Harlem). To be different was a struggle because you thought you were alone. Last night our local news was full of pride parade reporting (Seattle). Back in the 1950's and 1960's people even if they would have been supportive of a person to be who they were would not openly show support. Terms like sympathizer or fellow traveler were thrown about.

If one thing should be remembered from Stonewall and any other march for civil rights if you don't stand up for those people, who will stand up for you. You cannot be selective when granting rights.

Thanks Chrissie and Stephanie for your information and memories. Someone had to go before us. Stonewall is always mentioned as a start for a lot of different types of people coming out. In San Francisco there was the Compton Cafeteria riot a couple of years before Stonewall. It had less of a nationwide effect on trans peoples' future, but it was a start. Someone always has to go before another to make things happen. I think that is a big part of pride, celebrating those that came before us, celebrating ourselves and hopefully all of us making an extra effort for those that will come after us. Thanks for sharing.

Chris I don’t want to date my self to bad but I do remember those days and the harassment we went through and the many hours of conversation with Virginia Prince and Joann and several others and we have come a long way but it is still a long bumpy road

Susie