Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Got my picture taken today

Quote Originally Posted by LydiaL View Post
    A Model / Media Release form should (must?) be signed if your photograph is intended to be published by the photographer. Applies for someone that is easily recognized in the photo; folks in the back-ground or just passing by not so.

Such a legal gray area now with the ease of posting photos on the Internet.
    Not THAT grey. Releases basically only apply to commercial photography. If they aren’t selling the image they’re perfectly fine. Also, if the person is in public there is absolutely no protection. This is why paparazzi are able to exist.

Banned Spammer
    Between here and there but mostly here close to the donuts.
    You go out in public you will be photographed by someone or a security camera out on the street or in a building.
    Thats just the reality of it get used to it.

A good response to a RL troll, although I'd advise against getting within arms reach of the offender.

Taking pictures in public spaces, as has been stated is NOT illegal. Think about the times any of have gone on vacation and snapped a pic of our loved ones, or local landmarks. Did anyone here chase after all the people caught in your pic and ask permission? No, I didn't think so.

I've had my image captured, in public venues, and only, very occasionally, has the picture taker asked if it was ok. Usually, only when someone wanted to take a pic with me.
    Before you can love another, you must first like yourself

I Aim To Misbehave

Labels belong on BOXES, not PEOPLE!

I recently visited some theme parks in Orlando. Probably (accidentally) ruined a few hundred strangers photographs while there. Nobody approached me about it and I never felt that my human rights were infringed upon.

I could see that this guy was definitely taking my pic and I dont care about that, he was just being really weird about it. I would never be one of those people who get upset at being photographed in public, but his running away when I turned the tables tells me that he was just being rude. If he would have asked, I would have let him get a much better picture.

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar
    Interestingly, cd.com does not allowed u to post pictures without permission of every, recognizable person in the photo!

That is why u never see photos with a crowd of people in them here.
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

Banned Read only
    Abbie,
    I had to be extra cautious as a professoional photographer , also it was common courtesy to ask but it was easier to avoid the problem , also extra caution has to be made when photographing minors . I still feel it's a grey area with the law on human rights , I do feel the modern use of cameras on mobile phones borders on rudeness and lack of consideration .

Tracy ,
    Thed fact that it didn't bother you doesn't mean we should ignore the rights of others .
    Last edited by Teresa; 07-09-2019 at 11:12 AM.

Banned Spammer
    Things seem to be way different in the UK.

Banned Read only
    Tracii,
    I'm afraid you'll always get some people who don't give a **** ! I guess we're lucky we have an open society but it should also mean we still respect others . I can't say how I would have personally reacted to this situation myself and who knows it's happened anyway . I know some guests at an open party were steaming videos on their mobile phones while we were on the dance floor , surprisingly it was a GG in our group who stopped them by telling them where she would put their phones if the continued !!

Tracii, I also get the impression that the expectation of privacy in public is different over there.

Quote Originally Posted by Teresa View Post
    Tracy ,
    Thed fact that it didn't bother you doesn't mean we should ignore the rights of others .
    Teresa,
    Nobody is ignoring anyone's rights. I took over 2,000 pictures while on my vacation and there are strangers in many of them. I didn't experience one instance where a stranger told me their rights were being violated.

Your expectations of what people should feel and what I've experienced in the real world are clearly two different things.

I don't think that what creepy guy did rises to the level of a human rights violation nor do I think the response by Hosekid was egregious. You and others may disagree and I respect your right to do that.
    Last edited by Tracy Irving; 07-09-2019 at 01:08 PM.

Banned Read only
    Tracy,
    I depends on his motive for taking the pictures he could easily infringe human rights issues depending where and how he chose to use them .

I agree I've taken many pictures on holiday with strangers in them but it still doesn't mean we ignore their rights . I took some photographs in Egypt around the Pyramids and that proved problematic , they chose to exerciuse their rights admittedly for financial gain .

Teresa,
    All we know is that creepy guy took some pictures. We have no clue what will happen with them so let's not make assumptions. Based on what we do know, please explain how the taking of these pictures infringes human rights. I don't see it.

I am going to highlight and agree with Super Moderator Shelly Preston...

Quote Originally Posted by Shelly Preston View Post
    I don't believe the taking pictures is illegal. What you do with them after that might be.

Points of law are not matters of opinion. There is no law prohibiting pictures being taken that include you, or indeed even those that make you the sole subject when in public. You are, by definition, in the public domain.
    Nor does any human rights law (AFAIK) enshrine a right to privacy in public places. Quite simply because it's unenforceable.

Police guidance to the public is quite clear, even here in the UK. There as nothing one can do about having one's picture taken in public, however distasteful one may find it.

The exceptions are extremely few and far between.

Very different, specific legislation exists to cover uses of said pictures in an injurious fashion, for example harassment potentially, or for the protection of children. The standards required by law are not usually met by the simple taking of a picture. And for the most part simple commercial publication is typically insufficient to constitute a crime. This even includes photographs of individuals on private property taken from a vantage point that is public.

For example an upcoming retrospective of Linda McCartney's work features a snap taken of a mother and daughter at the beach. Paul McCartney has no idea who they are, and says Linda took the shot candidly whole the pair were themselves on holiday. It's subsequent publication poses no legal contention.

Teresa, you say you took pictures around the pyramids that proved problematic. How so?! The locals may have claimed you can't do so without paying but that's bs and anyone who falls for it has been played.

As for your saying we shouldn't ignore others' rights I'd say for the most part, and crucially for the photographer in the OP no rights were infringed. A friendly cop might warn the creep to move on if he felt the pics constituted harassment of Hosekid, but it'd have to be way more specific and egregious before he'd be arrested with any expectation of charges being successfully prosecuted.

As I stated to begin with, these are not matters of opinion.

Banned Read only
    Abbie,
    I saw a very funny incident at the Pyramids where someone refused to pay . I also was tugged by the sleeve to take some pictures when I looked round it was two local policemen holding weapons , yes it could have been problematic .

So you've checked on the point of law but how would feel if you were outed or otherswise by someone exercising their right to take pictures of you totally ignoring your rights to privacy and respect ?

I guess I'm more sensitive to the issues as I had to take care as a professional who I could include or needed to exclude from pictures , I know how sensitive people can be about this problem and always tried to respect their wishes , I'm sorry more people don't consider that . The rights of individuals is a two way situation not a one way one .

Teresa there's simply no such thing as a right to privacy when in public. What you're alluding to is a polite presumption of mutual respect, not a right.

Your own respect for the public as a photographer is to be commended but it's not something they had a right to.

Since Hosekid's anecdote was the subject of discussion the point remains that she nor any of us can reasonably object unless we feel an actual offence has occurred, such as harassment as mentioned but I'd suggest law enforcement would likely not. approach Hosekid's encounter as such.

That may be something we lament but it's not something we have legal recourse over. 🤷*♀️

As for your Egyptian encounter well that's the definition of a shakedown surely.

Banned Spammer
    Teresa you used the term open society but to me it seems far from an open society if you can't take pictures because you would be violating a civil right. Huh ??
    Over here you are free to take all the pics you want and people don't cry that someone is violating a civil right.
    Seems the USA is a more open society.
    I have had people remark oh look a tranny and I am sure they snapped a pic with a cell phone but I could care less I wasn't doing anything illegal so what do I have to worry about?

Comparisons between the US and UK are unnecessary Tracii. The law is virtually identical. Admittedly we don't have things like Fair Use of copyrighted material enshrined in law but we don't need it as a rule, courts take a common sense approach to such uses.

If anything the US is somewhat harsher when it comes to photographing government buildings or police officers and the like but the difference generally is negliable.

As I've said there's no such thing as a right to privacy here in the UK.

I'm unsure why this is such a big debate. The law's very clear.

Hosekid was within her rights to what she did, as was the creep. No 'rights' were violated but the creep was embarrassed into a retreat. It's a great outcome, I think.

This thread has taken a wrong turn. No need to debate the laws of different countries. Closing the thread.