Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nails Finally Growing

Nails Finally Growing

I hope I put this in the right place.....

For as long as I can remember I have been a chronic nail biter. Since I came out to my wife and started exploring my feminine side, I have noticed that I have stopped biting my nails and that they have been growing. You have no idea how excited I am about this. I am so looking forward to taking care of them. I have to wonder if the nail biting was a response to my suppressing my feminine side.

That's exciting! I've recently been considering letting my nails grow a bit and trying to shape them.

Same thing happened to me . As soon as I told the wife stopped biting. I grow then a little longer the would be expected without any concerns and use a clear matt polish. They don't look that different and I know I have painted nails all be it invisible. Now you will want to see them with colour.

I, too, would bite my nails as a child. In adulthood, I stopped, but kept them short.

Then, last Halloween, I let them grow out for a CDing costume. I painted them the night before the party. It was amazing. I loved seeing them.

Since that night, I've kept my nails longer than normal, but have been playing a dangerous game of how-long-is-too-long. Occasionally, a female friend of mine will see my longer-than-usual-for-a-guy nails and tell me how thick and strong they are; how jealous they are of them.

I want to paint them RIGHT NOW!

(BTW, BTWimRobin, I ADORE your avatar. So adorable!)

I was a nail biter my whole life til I was getting a pedicure and Traci looked at them and filed them round. She said now I have nothing to bite. She was correct and now I just clip and file them occasionally. My wife was very impressed that it actually worked.
    Crissy

I had tendonits in my leg and my daughter suggested that I take collagen tablets which I've been doing for about a month; 5grams / day. After a couple of weeks the tendonitis disappeared but I also noticed my nails seem to be growing faster. I have a problem with splitting with a couple of nails. I'll have to wait for them to grow out completely to see if there's an improvement. It's also suuposed to help the hair and skin which at 80 would be a big plus. Anyone else take collagen and see any effect. The tendonitis thing was miraculous for me

Hi Bridgette,

It sounds like that GG was paying you a compliment. I started giving myself regular manicures and what difference it makes. They are starting to get a little long for a guy but I love them. I wear a clear matte base coat on them.

Thanks for the complement and welcome to the forum
    Robin

Banned Read only
    I'm a chronic nail biter too. Do you suffer from any sort of anxiety syndrome or similar? You don't have to answer but I don't mind volunteering. I'm bipolar and after starting some medication I actually grew my nails for the first time I could ever remember. Unfortunately they're gone again now after a really stressful job/time earlier this year Gives me another goal as a CD though now that I'm starting to dress again for the first time in 9 years
    Last edited by donninacd; 07-14-2019 at 01:33 PM.

Hi Donnina,

I don't suffer from any syndrome. I think I had a lot of built up anxiety from keeping the girl in me buried; she was my deepest, darkest secret. Since I let her out all that anxiety is gone. My wife noticed that I have been a much happier, more relaxed person since I started dressing.

Robin

Not biting your nails will do wonders for nail growth! Seriously, mouths are nasty.

Note that if you have a nail fungus the only thing that will work is a prescription (sporanox) that you take for about a year. Don't believe the OTC nail polish ads.
    Last edited by char GG; 07-24-2019 at 08:36 PM. Reason: This rule: The discussion of ANY over the counter medication for ANY reason is prohibited

I have been a chronic nail biter too. My mental health has its ups and downs for sure.
    But lately I've quit. Why?!
    Well, as I wrote in a thread about my drinking, I can't help but attribute it to a greater sense of self-acceptance, a lessening of repression. Especially after I came up with my femme name. Within a week I had quit drinking, cold turkey, after 30 years. I was drinking 8 times the UK Medical advice says should be the limit.

But the drinking was just one change there have been many others. My relationship with my wife has improved immeasurably. Which was well timed as her diagnosis with breast cancer coincided with her realisation that my CDing is not a passing phase.

As for the nails, I'm so unused to having them long that's it's a huge adjustment. Just running my eyes has become a danger!

I don't know about painting them, as I can't predict, yet, how my CDing will be accommodated in future. It's on hold while Wifeling deals with the cancer but we'll see. She's been fine with my toenails being painted so I imagine she'd be OK with my hand nails too, as long as it's removed before public appearances.

Glad to have another monkey off my back though, regardless.

I was a nail biter as a child... looking back it was a reaction to stress and anxiety... obsessive-compulsive I guess.

I always bit mine until I finally came out to my wife.
    I tried forever to grow them out, but work always had other ideas.
    Finally now that I'm retired they are growing. For the first time in my life they are ALL long at the same time. The shortest is 1/8" beyond the fingertip. I'm trying for a nice 1/4" for all. I keep them shaped and always wear a clear polish on them.
    Now when I go out I can wear a pretty color on them and not worry about them popping off like those press on nails I used to wear.
    I don't wear women's clothes, I wear MY clothes !

Quote Originally Posted by JoannaCD View Post
    I had tendonits in my leg and my daughter suggested that I take collagen tablets which I've been doing for about a month; 5grams / day. After a couple of weeks the tendonitis disappeared but I also noticed my nails seem to be growing faster. I have a problem with splitting with a couple of nails. I'll have to wait for them to grow out completely to see if there's an improvement. It's also suuposed to help the hair and skin which at 80 would be a big plus. Anyone else take collagen and see any effect. The tendonitis thing was miraculous for me
    Not taking pills but I am taking collagen in a different form. I used to have paper thin fingernails, very difficult to do anything with. About 6 months ago I started consuming a tablespoon of Knox Gelatin every night before bed; I did it to help with osteoarthritis joint pain in my shoulder but I received a pleasant side effect. My finger nails are now thick and actually very hard. I can grow them long and shape as I see fit.

Abbie,

I'm glad to hear that things with your wife has improved. I hope she is doing well.

When I mentioned to my therapist that I stopped biting my nails she started typing like crazy on laptop. She said that the nail biting was a result of all the built up anxiety I had about dressing since I was a child. I have to admit that it feels weird to have nails and not bleeding, grubby nubs. The pendulum has swung the other way and am obsessing about taking care of them instead of biting them. Thanks to YouTube, I learned how to give myself regular manicures. I wear a base coat with a matte finish and I am sure to seal the edges. It really protects them.

I am amazed at how the body and mind work. All that built up anxiety triggers some compulsive disorder/vise, like nail biting, alcoholism, smoking, hair pulling, etc. Once that anxiety is released the vise goes away.

Hugs,
    Robin

Heh, seems like coming to terms with CDing has been good for us both. I've only been on the site a few more months long than yourself but it's been great to see things come along for you.
    Which is easy since you're a bigger chatterbox than me. 😁

WOW! I honestly thought that I was pretty much the only nail biter, or at least 1 in a million. I've had the nail biting habit all my life starting when I was 6 or so. I'm 52 now. There were a hundred times when I had bitten them back so much i couldn't make a fist, it hurt too much, especially in winters when my skin was dryer. A couple of years ago, I screwed up every bit of courage I had and went into a local nail salon to get my first "full set". I adored the process and happily chatted with the nail tech who spoke in broken english. Within 5 minutes of walking out of the nail salon, the urge to bite my nails had Completely Disappeared. It was Magical!!! I only wish I'd found that trick out when I was 16 or so! I keep them a bit longer than I need, but short enough to type with. I love to care for them now, and its part of my monthly mandatory budget.

Hi Kim,
    I often thought about going to a salon with the hopes that a full set would cure me of my biting habit. I never was able to work up the courage. It ironic that in my late twenties I dated a nail technician. She used to nag me to death about my nail biting. It's a shame she never thought to suggest a set of acrylics.

Now I am obsessed with keeping my nails pretty. Do you wear a color or just use a clear?

Robin

I've been a nail biter most of my life but the urge has stopped thankfully . But I always break them at work which is annoying . I just had a months holiday and they got quite long and looked great but first day back at work and I broke 3

I never had given much thought to my natural nails previously. I always used the press on type when going out. After a two year hiatus from dressing I have been using clear polish and growing my nails. Of course since only my wife knows about my dressing there is a limit as to how far I can take the nail growth but I am enjoying this new look.

Finally, for the first time in my life I have my own nails long and pretty and polished.
    After all those years of wearing press-ons and having them fall off at the most inoportune time I can say it's over.

At last I have all my nails long and pretty...
    What a wonderful feeling...
    IMG_3147.jpgIMG_3148.jpg
    I don't wear women's clothes, I wear MY clothes !

Those are looking FINE, Cheryl.

I've been doing pretty good myself, although I seem to having issues with breaking just my thumbnails. Otherwise my nails are now a decent 'could pass as male or female' length.

I am struggling to learn the guitar, so I have to keep mine short. But it's always a treat on those occasions when I get to paint them.
    I am a vessel of the goddess. Let me express my calling to a feminine life through nurturing love and relatedness.

Cheryl, I am very envious of your beautiful nails!
    Crissy

Hi Cheryl, you have beautiful nails. The rings really complete the look.