Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What if crossdressing were normalized?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

What if crossdressing were normalized?

I'm asking because I've got mixed feelings on the issue myself . How many of us would truly like our style to become normalized to the point where half or more of the genetically male population switched to skirts, dresses, bras, etc...?

Part of the draw to my current style is that I like the differentiation from the real world. I wish I could get a full pass on going out however I wanna dress, but not sure that i want it to be the norm. Any thoughts?
    Last edited by Bea_; 07-10-2019 at 08:49 PM.

We are mostly a normal bunch.. many are married to GG's which castigates us to being lumped into the other side....thats why certain groups dont want us around....and i do not see any sudden switch to dudes in skirts ever being the norm.....of course it depends on how you define "normal"

Normalized would be the general acceptance of crossdressing as 'normal'. Women in pants is normalized but it was not always so. I grew up in an era when it was totally 'abnormal' for a woman to wear pants in church, or for a public school teacher to wear pants and there were many other places it was not the accepted norm. Now it's been normalized.

Banned Spammer
    Between here and there but mostly here close to the donuts.
    I have to chime in here Women in pants is not crossdressing the pants were made for women and their body shape.
    So technically women in pants was never considered to be crossdressing.
    We all know the definition of the word crossdresser.
    Last edited by Tracii G; 07-11-2019 at 04:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tracii G View Post
    I have to chime in here Women in pants is not crossdressing the pants were made for women and their body shape.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trouse...n%27s_clothing

On the boards here, there seem to be as many definitions of crossdressing as there are members.

Quote Originally Posted by Jodie_Lynn View Post
    Long and long ago, I used to wear cowboy boots and a Stetson. I put up with countless rendition's of "Where'd you park your horse?" Until a certain movie involving a mechanical bull came out. Then, every mother's son was sporting a western look. I haven't worn a Stetson, or male cowboy boots since then.
    That's kinda my point.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jodie_Lynn View Post
    So my question to you Bea, is if your proposed scenario became fact, would you cease to crossdress?
    If it became fact, the definition of crossdressing would change to a degree that I'd no longer be included.
    Last edited by Bea_; 07-11-2019 at 07:25 AM.

I consider it normal now I just dress the way I want and go about my business

The question is: do you dress for others or for yourself?

I dress for myself, so if others want to wear a dress, it’s no business or mine; more power to them. The record will show I did it before it was cool.

Would the normalization of crossdressing make it less fun? Maybe, on the other hand, one would be able to do it a lot more and in a lot more places.

Are you sure you didn’t post this question on deebra's behalf?
    Last edited by Patience; 07-11-2019 at 09:23 AM. Reason: Too many commas. I think we all should do our best to make sure our posts are clear and easy to understand. Lead by example.
    When haters hate, I celebrate!

So I sew my own skirts with my male untucked body in mind. These skirts are still considered crossdressing even though there were made for me and my body shape.

I feel like it will never be normalized in my lifetime, but people typically seem tolerant (or at least keep their traps shut ).

Go ahead and normalize it Bea. Lol. There's plenty of room to differentiate within modes of dressing.

Resident Polymath MarinaTwelve200's Avatar
    If it were to be "Normal", then most of the "Thrill" would be gone

I think that Posts #28 & #29 hit the bullseye. If crossdressing were normalized, then the sense of scandal, taboo-breaking, titillation, and humiliation (yes, there are some CD's who get off of that) would be absent.
    Before you can love another, you must first like yourself

I Aim To Misbehave

Labels belong on BOXES, not PEOPLE!

I think what we need is some movies or something that makes Dressing in a skirt or dress a fashion fad. And get the male actors start wearing them. Full skirts allow for so much more leg freedom.
    Leslie Mary Shy
    Remember this:
    You do not have to be a man to love a woman, or be a woman to love women's clothes on her or yourself.

How many of us would truly like our style to become normalized to the point where half or more of the genetically male population switched to skirts, dresses, bras, etc...?

Why delineate "half the male population?"
    How about if by 'normalized', it merely meant that no eyebrows would be raised by what anyone of any gender wore?

How about, if by 'normalized', it meant that a male crossdresser could venture out of their house and not be assaulted for their choice?

You state that you enjoy the "differentiation from the real world", does that mean that you get some satisfaction, or arousal, from being different from the crowd?

I continually see posts on these boards that are basically "What if..." fantasies. And that is fine, everyone needs a form of escapism. But the hard truth is that the majority of men do NOT find solace or comfort in the wearing of clothing designed for women. Sexual play being the exception., and even then, it usually involves a GG.

Long and long ago, I used to wear cowboy boots and a Stetson. I put up with countless rendition's of "Where'd you park your horse?" Until a certain movie involving a mechanical bull came out. Then, every mother's son was sporting a western look. I haven't worn a Stetson, or male cowboy boots since then.

So my question to you Bea, is if your proposed scenario became fact, would you cease to crossdress?
    Before you can love another, you must first like yourself

I Aim To Misbehave

Labels belong on BOXES, not PEOPLE!

Banned Spammer
    Between here and there but mostly here close to the donuts.
    I guess Bea would lose her kink of CDing and the fantasy would be gone.
    Where did the half number come from anyway?
    CDers are 1% of the male population at best and there will never be a time where men will actually want to wear womens clothes its just not going to happen so why even post what ifs like this?

If crossdressing were normalized, we'd be in Europe.

Ha, just kidding. A little humor for a serious topic.
    Been around for a while, been away for a while. On the verge of coming back...Help me!

Aspiring Member
    Wish I could go out dressed

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar
    What do u consider "normal", Bea? Dressing to blend? Or, something a bit more stylish and sexy? Your normal may be quite different than mine!

Women come in all looks as well as shapes and sizes, u know! U and other dressers may not approve. But, my preferred normal look, out dressed, mite be something like this!

P1310791 (3) (588x640).jpg
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

You could come to California where everything is "normal" as long as it's "different." It's full of people desperately attempting to express some sort of individuality but generally only succeeding in looking like morons. You won't raise any eyebrows CDing here but you might get a few yawns and eyerolls. I keep my CDing to myself. Other than that I like to dress as inconspicuously possible because I'm a loner and a rebel.

Several people seemed to be bothered by the question in the title and I do see some validity to the concerns. A better question would be...

"What if your preferred wardrobe were suddenly normalized to the point that most of the items you now buy in the women's section were available (and widely purchased by "normal" men) in the men's department?"

In that scenario it would no longer be crossdressing which I think was the issue most seemed to have with the initial post.

My answer would be that I'd still go to the woman's section to look for things that stood out from what most see as 'manly'. I'd like to see it normalized to the point where I felt comfortable and acceptable going out to the mailbox in a nice sundress, but not necessarily to the point where every man in the neighborhood was going out to the mailbox in a nice sundress. I like feeling unique. But, I dislike having my uniqueness turned into a joke or worse.

To me, crossdressing is exploring my femininity. If everyone wore the same clothes, and there was no difference between male/female attire, clothing would become irrelevant. I'd have to find a different method to explore my feminine side.
    Been around for a while, been away for a while. On the verge of coming back...Help me!

Quote Originally Posted by Bea_ View Post
    Several people seemed to be bothered by the question in the title and I do see some validity to the concerns. A better question would be...

"What if your preferred wardrobe were suddenly normalized to the point that most of the items you now buy in the women's section were available (and widely purchased by "normal" men) in the men's department?"

In that scenario it would no longer be crossdressing which I think was the issue most seemed to have with the initial post.
    Hi Bea

To the degree that what appears in the "Men's Department" is the exact same as it appears in the "Women's Department" (other than, say, sizing), I'd have to find some other way to enable my feminine side -- to partly agree with what Dana Mathews said, dressing in designed/manufactured/...'d-specifically-for-women's clothing is a way to enabling that part of me that is dormant when I'm in men's clothes. On the other hand, I expect that there will be differences between the two -- the cut of clothes designed for women is different than for men (eg, hips, boobs, and butts on the one side vs a bulge on the other) so a dress from the women's department would be a bit different than the "same" dress in the mens ... and to that degree, I'd buy the women's department dress (in preference to the men's department version) and be quite satisfied. Also, there would be some things that are women- (and men-) only. Bras and athletic supporters, for example. I'd still buy bras.

Now, this begs the question -- if there are some (purely technical) differences between two dresses, one in the men's department and the other in the women's ... would society as a whole "disapprove" of me buying the dress in the women's department and wearing it, in preference to the one in the men's? I'll assume that the answer is that it would be ok.

That said, I also just plain like the physical feel/sensation of wearing female clothing -- so if dresses are available in the men's department as well as women's ... cool. The swish of the skirts, feeling of the fabrics, and so on would be the same, so it wouldn't matter ... and I'd be quite happy.

I realize that these are sort of mutually incompatible answers ... but this whole dressing thing is fairly complex (to me, anyway) :-)

One thing that I would _not_ do is say "Well, it's normal now ... so I have to go find some other way to be different" ... I've never (dressing/gender or otherwise) felt that I had to be different just for the sake of being different. If what I do is different ... so be it, if it's mainstream, so be it...

Fran

Silver Member Stephanie Julianna's Avatar
    I'd move everything in the back of my closet to the front. Sweet and simple. And then my wife would divorce me. LOL

I guess some have to keep trying to justify why they CD.Is it they just can't accept themselves because they are different?
    I think its good to be different.
    Not just different, but perhaps they have trouble accepting themselves as being feminine. Lot's are 'different'; some redneck, some city slicker, some foreign, some 'country', some rock'n'roll. All perfectly acceptable. But feminine? Ohhhh, NO! Not that!
    Boys have pretty much been told from day one that being feminine in any way is the worst thing we can be. Growing up with that, of course we might have problems seeing ourselves as feminine. Males are still often ridiculed for it. It is, perhaps, the MOST 'different' that we can be. Consider; you can even dress like what many would consider like a suspected terrorist , and still not get the dislike that a very feminine crossdresser does.
    (unless, of course, you're getting on an airplane!). In New Jersey where they still have people manning the gasoline pumps, there are quite a lot of men who defintely keep that sort of 'look', and nobody bats an eye. But put a guy in a dress pumping gas and I guarantee you people will notice.
    Quote Originally Posted by danam View Post
    To me, crossdressing is exploring my femininity. If everyone wore the same clothes, and there was no difference between male/female attire, clothing would become irrelevant. I'd have to find a different method to explore my feminine side.
    No, it would still look different. Body hugging female specific (especially the kind that most of us prefer to wear) attire usually gives away the true physical sex of the individual. We still would be considered very different from GG females.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelli_cd View Post
    When is the last time anyone here has heard a woman being criticized or gossiped about, for wearing trousers, jeans, leggings, or sweatpants?
    It still happens when a woman does what we do; go to the extremes, male typical haircut, zero makeup, and only wear tailored for men clothes that are purchased in the men's department that indicate she is trying to self identify as male, while changing her voice, mannerisms and body languageto that which is stereotypically male, and actively going overboard to talk with men about topics that men usually discuss; instead of relationships, clothes, family, make up, for example, they ONLY talk about politics, sports, work, and frequently use sports references when describing normal daily behavior.

Openly criticized, usually not. But gossiped about? Whispered about behind her back? Oh yeah.
    Last edited by char GG; 07-13-2019 at 05:44 AM. Reason: Removed reference to religious group
    Some causes of crossdressing you've probably never even considered: My TG biography at:http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/...=1#post1490560
    There's an addendum at post # 82 on that thread, too. It's about a ten minute read.
    Why don't we understand our desire to dress, behave and feel like a girl? Because from childhood, boys are told that the worst possible thing we can be, is a sissy. This feeling is so ingrained into our psyche, that we will suppress any thoughts that connect us to being or wanting to be feminine, even to the point of creating separate personalities to assign those female feelings into.

I don't care how many men would wear skirts and dresses, as long I could do it without being seen as weird by others. I just wish I could wear heels and skirts every day. I don't care what other people are wearing.

I would embrace it fully for a period of time. Then as time went on, no doubt it would wane a little. But on the whole it would be epic.