Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What if crossdressing were normalized?

I'm lost.

Well, you’re in the right place, more or less.
    When haters hate, I celebrate!

OFF TOPIC

Quote Originally Posted by Patience View Post
    On top of making a gross generalization, with this post, you’ve unwittingly (?) given away your location. Maybe you don’t care and that’s fine, but yeah.
    If you notice, a lot of people here list their location.

<--------- see?

My current location doesn't support any type of LGBT+ organizations, but several nearby towns and small cities do.

ON TOPIC

The OP's question, and even the revised question, are a nice fantasy. But I don't see crossdressing becoming an accepted "normalized" act any time soon. At least, not in the lifetime of the youngest member of this forum.

Until society gets over the idea that it is "abnormal" to wear clothes that are not condoned for ones gender, crossdressing will never be 'normalized'. Specifically. male-to-female, crossdressing.

When women first started wearing trousers, it was scandalous, shocking, and ridiculed. And women basically told society "F**k off! They are practical for many reasons, deal with it!" And ya know what? "Society" got over it. When is the last time anyone here has heard a woman being criticized or gossiped about, for wearing trousers, jeans, leggings, or sweatpants?
    Before you can love another, you must first like yourself

I Aim To Misbehave

Labels belong on BOXES, not PEOPLE!

No, I don't want CDing to be normal. I would like to see it accepted more than it is, but...
    "You're the only one to see the changes you take yourself through", Stevie Wonder

This Glamazon Queen would be fine, but y’all would have to step your p***y up. :P

Silver Member Stephanie Julianna's Avatar
    I'd move everything in the back of my closet to the front. Sweet and simple. And then my wife would divorce me. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Tracii G View Post
    I guess some have to keep trying to justify why they CD.Is it they just can't accept themselves because they are different?
    I think its good to be different.
    Not just different, but perhaps they have trouble accepting themselves as being feminine. Lot's are 'different'; some redneck, some city slicker, some foreign, some 'country', some rock'n'roll. All perfectly acceptable. But feminine? Ohhhh, NO! Not that!
    Boys have pretty much been told from day one that being feminine in any way is the worst thing we can be. Growing up with that, of course we might have problems seeing ourselves as feminine. Males are still often ridiculed for it. It is, perhaps, the MOST 'different' that we can be. Consider; you can even dress like what many would consider like a suspected terrorist , and still not get the dislike that a very feminine crossdresser does.
    (unless, of course, you're getting on an airplane!). In New Jersey where they still have people manning the gasoline pumps, there are quite a lot of men who defintely keep that sort of 'look', and nobody bats an eye. But put a guy in a dress pumping gas and I guarantee you people will notice.
    Quote Originally Posted by danam View Post
    To me, crossdressing is exploring my femininity. If everyone wore the same clothes, and there was no difference between male/female attire, clothing would become irrelevant. I'd have to find a different method to explore my feminine side.
    No, it would still look different. Body hugging female specific (especially the kind that most of us prefer to wear) attire usually gives away the true physical sex of the individual. We still would be considered very different from GG females.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelli_cd View Post
    When is the last time anyone here has heard a woman being criticized or gossiped about, for wearing trousers, jeans, leggings, or sweatpants?
    It still happens when a woman does what we do; go to the extremes, male typical haircut, zero makeup, and only wear tailored for men clothes that are purchased in the men's department that indicate she is trying to self identify as male, while changing her voice, mannerisms and body languageto that which is stereotypically male, and actively going overboard to talk with men about topics that men usually discuss; instead of relationships, clothes, family, make up, for example, they ONLY talk about politics, sports, work, and frequently use sports references when describing normal daily behavior.

Openly criticized, usually not. But gossiped about? Whispered about behind her back? Oh yeah.
    Last edited by char GG; 07-13-2019 at 05:44 AM. Reason: Removed reference to religious group
    Some causes of crossdressing you've probably never even considered: My TG biography at:http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/...=1#post1490560
    There's an addendum at post # 82 on that thread, too. It's about a ten minute read.
    Why don't we understand our desire to dress, behave and feel like a girl? Because from childhood, boys are told that the worst possible thing we can be, is a sissy. This feeling is so ingrained into our psyche, that we will suppress any thoughts that connect us to being or wanting to be feminine, even to the point of creating separate personalities to assign those female feelings into.

I don't care how many men would wear skirts and dresses, as long I could do it without being seen as weird by others. I just wish I could wear heels and skirts every day. I don't care what other people are wearing.

I would embrace it fully for a period of time. Then as time went on, no doubt it would wane a little. But on the whole it would be epic.

I think what we need is some movies or something that makes Dressing in a skirt or dress a fashion fad. And get the male actors start wearing them. Full skirts allow for so much more leg freedom.
    Leslie Mary Shy
    Remember this:
    You do not have to be a man to love a woman, or be a woman to love women's clothes on her or yourself.

Banned Read only
    Humans are great at categorizing things. We allow others to do it and we do it ourselves. In terms of the clothes we wear, we categorize ourselves by income, region, ethnicity and a million other factors. So long as that remains true, crossdressing will never be normalized. Sure, more kids today enjoy gender bending styles and you will find the occasional bearded millennial in a dress and eyeliner, but those are outliers. Something tells me that, ten years from now, that same kid will be in a suit working for corporate.

Quote Originally Posted by Bea_ View Post
    I'm asking because I've got mixed feelings on the issue myself . How many of us would truly like our style to become normalized to the point where half or more of the genetically male population switched to skirts, dresses, bras, etc...?

Part of the draw to my current style is that I like the differentiation from the real world. I wish I could get a full pass on going out however I wanna dress, but not sure that i want it to be the norm. Any thoughts?
    I’d love for things to be normalized. For it be ok for men to paint their nails, for men to wear leggings. I’d love to one day dress like a girl and another dress like a guy and go into work and no one notice.

YOULOVEMYTOES Palaina Nocturnus's Avatar
    I truly wish that not one human cared what another human is clothing their body with. I think it's just another way for people to judge others. Anytime something is considered "the norm" or "status quo" then you're alienating everything and everyone that thinks and feels different.

I understand we as humans love to put labels on everything and categorize it all, but its when we think one thing is "normal" then I believe perception has taken over logic.

Example: I was raised to not eat meat cooked less than well done. Medium tastes gross to me. In fine dining, raw to medium cooked meat is considered status quo. I'm considered weird.

I love destroying stereotypes and perceptions.

Quote Originally Posted by Palaina Nocturnus View Post

Example: I was raised to not eat meat cooked less than well done. Medium tastes gross to me. In fine dining, raw to medium cooked meat is considered status quo. I'm considered weird.
    Yeah, I wish it were all less complicated and a little more rational. All the rules seem arbitrary and I'm pretty much allergic to arbitrary. I would like to think I wasn't one of the judgmental folks, but I know that I've got my rules too.

And, I was raised on pan fried cheap super-well-done steaks because my mom cooked to please my dad and he liked well done. The first time I tasted a good medium-rare ribeye when I started dating, I was hooked. Now, I hate overcooked meat. I have a rule against it. My wife breaks that rule every time we go out for steaks. Pity.
    Last edited by Bea_; 07-15-2019 at 05:56 PM.

For me will be great if crossdressing were normalized. But i don´t belive in magic. The people slowly, are more free mind, maybe more 70 years for we get that normalization. I am still in the closet. But i imagine the day i can wear my clothes everywhere without prejudice... The first thing i do in that day, will be go shooping!

In my own lifetime I've seen 'coming out' for homosexuals going from 'incredible courage' to 'what's the big deal?'. Even just the other day, a member of an outwardly religious demographic and I were talking and 'coming out' came up and this person said 'what's the big deal? Why do people even need to come out?'

In this day and age of serious political divides on social media, even some of the most staunch conservatives are nonplussed at same sex relationships.

I think we are just now starting to see this happening with gender expression as well. Yes, there's a long way to go. Yes there are always going to be people that object. Yes it won't be 'normal' in the sense of 'the usual state of being', but more and more we're seeing gender fluid styles, fashion, living, and an increasing sense of 'live and let live'.

Again, long way to go, but we're watching the leading edge of it.

There will always be knuckle-dragging three-backs who 'poo-poo' anything that upsets their narrow definition of how people should live, but as more and more of general society allows people to be who they want to be without thinking it will negatively affect their own lives, the more we'll all be free to be who we want to be.
    Too much mascara is almost enough.

Contact me on MeWe mewe.com/i/maceyg

If crossdressing were normalized, I would dress 90% of the time like my Avatar,
    Full dress from the neck down, I have said it before and I will say it again. That is how I feel most comfortable in my skin
    When I look in the mirror, that just seems right.

I know kinda messed up, But that is the way I feel.
    my sister's reply when I told her how I prefer to dress

"Everyone has there thing, all that matters is that you are happy, love what you do and who you do it with"

Utah, north of West Jordan, south of North Salt Lake & west of South Salt Lake
    You know it's just possible that it already is "normal" just not commonly seen or fully accepted (but what is?). The change in media representation of the Transgender community has come a long way and even the political opposition to Trans service in the military has seen wide ranging support. I'm 70 years old now and not a single person I've come out to in the last couple of years has been critical. They didn't expect it from me, but there are dozens of people who now see it as "normal" for me and that will extend toward others they meet and interact with. I'm not saying it's accepted by a majority of people, but it has slowly become a thread in our societies being addressed and argued over economically, politically, by faith communities and in the media. It may not be Normal, but it's much closer to normal than I ever expected to see.
    Sarah
    Being transgender isn't a lifestyle choice. How you deal with it is.

Suddenly half the men in the world decided to crossdress? Not happening anytime soon.
    How would I feel. I don't care.
    If it made it more acceptable for me to be me then that's wonderful.
    I don't wear women's clothes, I wear MY clothes !

Around ten percent of the male population wearing dresses would be the sweet spot. Think of the days when men started wearing long hair. At a certain point it stopped being really controversial, and was just considered colorful and non conformist. If everyone was wearing a dress it would stop being so appealing. If just enough men were wearing feminine clothes on the streets it would be liberating and fun; a statement, without undue consequences. But if it got to be too much of a fad, it would soon die out. Think of the late seventies or early eighties, long hair lost its impact and everyone started cutting their hair again.
    I am a vessel of the goddess. Let me express my calling to a feminine life through nurturing love and relatedness.

Bring on normalization, it would be so much more fun to be able to mix with the general public in full fem clothes with makeup, jewellery, hosiery, wig and not have people staring at us as if we are freaks of nature. Also to be able to go into a dress shop in male mode and try on as many dresses as one likes without havening to worry about a sales assistant that does not approve.
    Sophie Mosley

What a wonderful world it would be

My SO can't find 2 pair of jeans that fit the same even thou they are same mfg. & style. If retailer could get men in dresses and skirts they would rip us off just like they do GG. Just look at the price difference between disposable razors. The blue ones are always cheaper then the pink ones.

My friend DarkAnGGel has started using my shaving cream and razors that I left at her place. She loves them both.
    Leslie Mary Shy
    Remember this:
    You do not have to be a man to love a woman, or be a woman to love women's clothes on her or yourself.

Aspiring Member
    Some of us dress for recreation and comfort rather than any gender identification thing. I like to dress well and it never occurs to me to blend in or dress down. I genuinely dress for me, so what other people are wearing is irrelevant irrespective of their gender. If there was a huge increase in the number of men wearing skirts and dresses then I could wear my own more often, for example in work situations. Cross-dressing would be accepted by my employers but it would have an adverse impact on the way my work is perceived generally because people would relate first to what I wear, so getting rid of that barrier (and it is a barrier I impose on myself) would make a huge difference. I think the number of men wearing bras and forms would not become normal because there is no point in doing so unless you want to present an appearance that is at least partially feminine. Though I do not identify as female however I dress, I really like the appearance of my legs and figure in a dress and I would have to admit that adding boobs enhances my enjoyment of my appearance - no I can't explain this either. I think the main opportunity for such a change is hotter weather. There is a huge improvement in comfort if you change from trousers to a skirt or dress - or even change from the type of trousers we currently wear to the loose and thin trousers that women feel more free to wear and this might then require a handbag of some kind.