Thread: History Lession #1

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Silver Member Stephanie Julianna's Avatar

History Lession #1

So Rhonda and I have been pm'ing about the earlier days of cding and she asked me about transformation services. Well, you don't get a short answer when you ask an old person about the good old days. And she triggered some memories that I don't think I ever mentioned here. So grab a martini and sit back and get ready to read. I will answer any questions all this triggers in your mind and if you have trouble falling asleep this might also help.

Well, I am not a student of transformation services back then. I found out about Lee Brewster's service from an ad in his Drag Magazine. I would guess that local services would have advertised in The Village Voice newspapers that were in most major cities at the time. Also word of mouth would have been a major way back then since much of what we did at the time was still only whispered at the clubs. When I had my first and only makeover with Lee Brewster in 1979 he was using clown white as a beard cover. It worked good but you had to wear a ton of makeup to then add color back to your face. If the sun hit you a certain way it could bring up the white under the makeup and you could end up looking like Beetlejuice. So it was meant more for night time use. The coversticks and foundations of today were not around then. I always worried about this when I dressed.

In 1980 I landed a job with Mott's ShopRite in CT. I was Head of Pharmacy (I am not a Pharmacist) and Health and Beauty Aids, and non-foods Buyer for 22 grocery stores and 3 free standing Drug Stores. Shortly after I started, my boss, a guy, was distressed by all the expensive unsold cosmetics in all the stores and determined that the old pharmacist that proceeded me was simply clueless to what women were using. So he sent me to numerous cosmetic classes offered by Cover Girl, Maybelline, Prince Macibelli and Aziza (remember them?) and others. Many were 2-3 days long and I was always the only guy there. I was 30 years old then and most of the girls that attended up were in their early to mid twenties. Most were the makeup girls that you saw in the big department stores like Macy's, Gimbel's, Abraham & Strauss, Filene's, G Fox, Stern's and others. These were the crazy beautiful girls you would see passing out perfumes and offering makeovers in these stores where their departments were positioned right at the main entrance of these stores. Every day they showed up dressed to the nines, all in dresses, never skirts and blouses or any form of slacks and always in high heels. Makeup was always perfect. I was in a boring suit.

There would be an instructor, usually on a stage, demonstrating how to use their products to enhance someone's beauty. She would use a girl from the group to show some technique to do with her product after she removed the girl's makeup. In the audience we were at tables and were paired off to repeat what she demonstrated at our seats on our partners. The poor girls stuck with me never got to try what they were learning on me but I did get to do their makeup. Some would tease and say that I would look cute if I would let them do my makeup but I would make a joke and all dropped it with a laugh. Some noticed and commented that my brows had a beautiful "natural" arch and shape and never questioned me about it. I was already plucking and shaping them by then. Oh how I wanted them to push it but none did. What I learned was unbelievable and I was immediately using the products and techniques I learned within a few days when I dressed next.

I was getting deep into the NYC drag scene then and hung with those interested in dressing to pass. That was also the year Lee introduced me to Sam who became my boyfriend for the next 25 years. So as my skills increased I would tell Lee what I learned and he would sometimes start carrying that product I bragged about. As a buyer I was presented with a product that was developed by a woman who had dark facial scars from an accident. It was one of the first true covers that also killed serious facial imperfections like scars and birthmarks and beard shadows without using gobs of makeup. It was made by a small private label but eventually was bought by Cabot and marketed under the label Sheer Perfection. Lee and I determined that $10.50 was a good retail price and in 1980 that was a big ticket. I used it for years and even at that price it became a huge seller at Lee's. Now every cosmetic maker sells some version of this early product.

These were raw times for me with my gender identity and all these events in my life contributed to my confusion. Being head of pharmacy I also had access to ordering hormones without getting a script and bought my Premarin at cost without anyone knowing. That's when My boobs grew and my features softened allowing me even more freedom of movement through the general public. Sam and I did the usual clubs for crossdressers and their admirers but also went to the "straight" venues as well. These were very confusing times for me since I also had a wife and family at home. My wife held on tight until I came around and somehow we survived. Happy ending.
    Last edited by Stephanie Julianna; 07-11-2019 at 03:30 PM.