Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My drag journey begins here.

My drag journey begins here.

Hey ladies,

I know some of you are not into drag. And that's fine. I know there's a few here that are. I'm Proud of myself, I took the first step today and got into touch with some drag queens in my local area. Just so I'm in touch with what's going on, before I get involved with doing shows etc. I'm about to enter the drag scene. I been wanting to do drag for a very longtime. I know it's not for all here. I'm pretty excited to be apart of all of it. And I'd like to share it with all of you. Even though I am a crossdresser. Drag was also something I been waiting to get involved in for years, when the time was right. And that time I feel is now. Anyways, hope you all have a great Monday
    Thanks for reading.
    Ttys xoxo

Wow Kaylin! Big step. If you've got it, flaunt it ... and I think you might have it! 100% support!

Awww Thank you Thelise I heart that comment.

Silver Member
    I know your wife is fully supportive of your CDing. I hope she's 100% behind you in this quest.

Banned Spammer
    Between here and there but mostly here close to the donuts.
    If its been something you have wanted to do then go for it.
    From what I have seen it can be a cut throat business. Lots of competition to get gigs.
    I have a friend that did drag for 20 years and he told me it can get tough.
    Good luck and please share your journey into the arts.

Banned Read only
    Honestly I did not like it as first, but after going to a few shows and meeting some of the performers I try to catch every local show I can. I have seriously thought about it and one of the Queens even encouraged me a bit one night as I was telling her I am living vicariously through her. I mean really, who here did not spend their youth lip syncing to your favorite songs? If I was 20 years younger I would be up on that stage but I can't compete with those talented young ladies doing splits and cartwheels in stilettos.
    Last edited by Robertacd; 07-16-2019 at 08:31 AM.

I’ve done about eight ‘amateur’ nights; they were akin to a drag open mic. I just used my regular makeup look and an outfit that fitted the song. It was extremely fun and a good audience makes a fantastic evening. But the ‘professional’ queens are a bunch that you have to watch out for: they are extremely territorial. Obviously not all of them, I met some lovely ones, but whoa betide you if you look more “fish” (feminine) than the others.

Banned Read only
    Quote Originally Posted by AngelaYVR View Post
    I’ve done about eight ‘amateur’ nights... I just used my regular makeup look and an outfit that fitted the song.
    As much as I hate to take this thread off topic, you bring up an interesting point, I don't like the makeup the drag queens use. I mean I get it they are "drag queens" so over the top style is expected, but it's not that. Whatever they are using (I am guessing some kind of stage makeup) gives them all a ghoulish white cast to their faces when the light hits it just right, I even noticed it on a few yesterday at an outdoor performance for Pride.

AAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHH! MAH BABY! I’m so proud of you. Let me just say this: it is WAY HARDER than it looks. There is a LOT that goes into drag. It’s not just putting on a dress and mashing your mouth around to a song. FIND YOURSELF A DRAG MOTHER. There’s so much to drag that you’ll never learn without someone guiding you. Do you have any kind of performance or dance experience? I would suggest you start going to the shows in drag, and get to know the girls first. Turn a few looks and you’ll catch a queen’s eye and if you’re lucky, she’ll take you under her wing.

I would recommend getting to know some local queens before you actually start performing. The comment about pro queens being snarky, I can almost guarantee that it’s not because a girl is more fish than them. It’s because ever since Drag Race has gotten popular, every crossdresser with delusions of grandeur thinks they’re a queen when they don’t actually understand or appreciate the art form.

My final two bits of advice for you: learn to sew, and learn the difference between real rhinestones and acrylic.

Thank you so much Micki I love that advice. I am very nervous for what I'm about to get into. But I am aware. I'm starting from ground zero with the drag scene. So any advice will help me tremendously. I'm gonna slowly work at getting connected and familiar with the locals. Then I'll kind of go from the there and attend some shows get to know some of them. But omg ya my nerves giving me butterfly's already. LoL

Kaylin, Good luck, can’t wait to hear how you do.
    Crissy

Thanks everyone for your kind words. I got a long road ahead of me. I'll keep you guys in the loop as things progress. And Micki I'm definitely gonna need you girl!! So glad I have you to talk to about this.

Banned Spammer
    What I did learn one queen rules the roost at certain clubs.
    Takes care of the booking and stage line up so its her show and you essentially work for her not the club.
    If you become friends with a queen she doesn't like she may not book you very often and sometimes not at all.
    If you bitch about it she will send you down the road and you end up with no bookings.
    I have been to plenty of shows and I have seen how dog eat dog it can be.

Yikes, Sounds like it can get a lil dramatic. But I understand what your saying. Thanks for the tip Trac. Butterflies are roaring lol

Banned Spammer
    The can get very dramatic and the ones I know are very catty and will talk about the others behind their backs.
    Go in with your eyes open at least.

Quote Originally Posted by Micki_Finn View Post
    The comment about pro queens being snarky, I can almost guarantee that it’s not because a girl is more fish than them. It’s because ever since Drag Race has gotten popular, every crossdresser with delusions of grandeur thinks they’re a queen when they don’t actually understand or appreciate the art form.
    I didn’t see you there in the audience Micki, next time say hi!

I knew most of the local drag queens. The old school and “typical” (old drag) queens were lovely. Those that tried the hardest to be feminine (new drag) saw you as competition. They knew darn well that, for me, I performed for a laugh. On amateur night. I explained this to those I met and when older queens wanted to recruit me, I told them too. The local lgbt TV station wanted to interview me after a show which I also turned down for the same reason. So, you might experience different things, but this is the way it was for me. Plus I’ve never watched drag race.

Hi, Kaylin! It is alright to have butterflies! Just get them to fly in formation! Best wishes for your success! Hugs Lana Mae
    Life is worth living!
    "Foxy lady! You look so good!!" Jimi Hendrix

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar
    The ones I've met have been very cool. But, their Kabuki makeup and shows aren't my thing! I hope u have fun and succeed, Kaylin!
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

I say why not, if it is something you have your heart set on.

There is nothing wrong with wanting to perform.

Have fun.

Thanks everyone. the support is much needed. In reality, with drag. I still got alot of time to get things figured out before this actually happens. Gotta start from square one. But I'm definitely ready to make this happen. Today was the first step.
    Last edited by Kaylin; 07-15-2019 at 11:13 PM.

Kayin, go for it. Sounds like it could be lots of fun!

Kaylin, you go girl. I am super ex tied for you. Please keep us posted on your adventure. Cheers.
    Life is too short to be boring...Alexandra

Silver Member Majella St Gerard's Avatar
    a little dramatic is an understatement. watch your back and have fun.

What, no local parades to rain on, Majella?! 😛

Kaylin, go for it! I think it's nice you included your sisters here in your journey from the get go. I have little personal interest in drag (at the mo) but I'll be following along with interest in your own story. 😘

TrueNorth Strong & Fierce Princess Chantal's Avatar
    Wishing you all the best on your journey. I enjoyed my time performing on stage and schmoozing in the backstage, hope you do too!
    The countless times I have been on stage have been as a part of a group (The Space Girls, mostly doing Spice Girls songs) and only once was I ever been by myself. Eventhough the group I was a part of were all crossdressers and trans, we had gained the respect and admiration from the local drag community due to our hard work. We were often approached by the drag performers and be asked to do multiple numbers in their shows that they were hosting. Thankfully we seen mostly the goodness and only heard of the drama within the drag community.