Thread: When did you first realize you were not alone?

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Silver Member Stephanie Julianna's Avatar

When did you first realize you were not alone?

I was probably 7 or 8 when I was old enough for my Mom to send me up to the main street in our town to buy her cigarettes. The United Cigar Store, which also sold paperback books, newspapers, sundries, and even had a soda fountain (remember them?) displayed all the newspapers on a long shelf on the wall opposite the register. Legitimate newspapers and rag sheets were laid out showing the cover pages clearly. I first saw Midnight News, a real rag, showing cover stories every now and then of Christine Jorgensen but I always thought she looked like a guy in a dress. (I guess I started early wanting to pass at some point and kids can read us better than anyone.) It was not until I was 12 (1961) and already dressing for 6 years that something turned my head and I started to dream of the possibilities. There on the cover of the paper was the most beautiful woman I had ever seen but the bold print said "Beauty was once a Man". I started to sweat. I had to have this paper and grabbed it and put it down on the counter and said it was for my mother and also asked for a pack of her Chesterfield Regulars. The guy didn't blink and I had my prize. I snuck in the house and ran up to my room to hide the paper and then delivered the cigs to my mom. When I went back to the paper my world changed forever. The story was about a Brit called April Ashley. I was in love with her immediately and amazed that someone born a boy could look that amazing. That was a watershed experience for me and unlike Jorgensen, I identified with April's need to be female. Now I was not alone. I'd love to hear your first realizations.
    Attached Images Attached Images