Thread: History Lesson #2

Silver Member Stephanie Julianna's Avatar

History Lesson #2

I just found probably the only picture I have that was actually taken at Lee Brewster's Mardi Gras in NYC. It had to be taken about 1983 when I was spending a lot of time down there and the hormones were working very well with my figure and softening my features. I remember that this particular day was early Spring but warm and I got into the habit back then of taking advantage of the loose fitting sun dresses without a bra. It was a very liberating feeling and many of the gg's back then were doing the same thing. I do love to blend.

Lee actually took the picture of me with Bebe Scarpi (Her real name is Scarpinato) She, like Lee, was a mover and shaker in the Gay Rights movement in NYC and she was so involved in many aspects that it would be easier for you to simply Google her to get the big picture. She worked the store when she was not teaching. She became a full time high school teacher eventually and I'm pretty sure she is the first trans woman to become a school Principal in the country. When she wasn't doing all that she sometimes worked as a stripper but I never saw her act. To say she is interesting would be an understatement. She was and is multi-dimensional. She also was Editor of Lee's Drag Magazine, one of the first completely dedicated to professional female impersonators. Lee and Bebe were so much fun to be with and depending on what day you walked in to the store they were either laughing together or not talking to each other.

I sometimes look back on my life and when I see where I was heading and where I ended up I am amazed that it all turned out the way it has. It definitely was not a STRAIGHT line. Pun intended. As I said before, you can say uncle any time and I'll stop. Otherwise I'll keep digging in my vault to find something to entertain and maybe even educate if that is OK with you.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Stephanie Julianna; 07-22-2019 at 08:38 AM.

Platinum Member
    What an amazing life!
    Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one.

Eleanor Roosevelt

Yes, please educate us! I'm sure reading about that not-straight-line will be interesting and intriguing!

Dear Mary, i hope that was a sincere request. I did some research on Bebe myself and i am awed by her strength and commitment to our cause and at such a young age. I found a pic on line that I will share here. I think she was probably only around 20 years old at the time. She's 2 years younger than me and I am humbled by her activism and dedication to the cause. When I knew her at least 8 years after this photo, she never let on to her involvement in the movement and just seemed like another trans girl trying to make her way through life. I would never have guessed that she was changing the world. That's her with her left arm raised in a fist wearing the black maxi dress on the right. I truly had no idea of the caliber of people I was hanging out with. They were much more humble than 'queens' are given credit for. What a wonderful world I got to roam around in for a while.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Aspiring Member
    I recognize Sylvia Rivera. Was the other person on the left Marsha P Johnson?

I’m enjoying the history, please keep posting!

Lee's Mardi Gras. What memories. The one stop shop for all your dressing needs. Thank you for the trip back in time.
    Like a lady

Keep it up Stephanie, very interesting the life you have lead!

How about this, maybe the forum administrators can add a library /link to the overall forum. A one stop of just the facts on history of all that is crossdressing???
    Last edited by mbmeen12; 07-22-2019 at 04:01 AM. Reason: typo
    Escapism isn't necessarily bad, but is definitely unhealthy in the long term. While helpful in the short term, things will degrade over time. At some point, the escapee will have to face the issue. Things simply blowing over isn't really going to happen in many situations.

Stephanie, Than you. I love the story.
    Please call me Jamie, I always_have crossdressed, I always will, "alwayshave".

I love reading about your adventures. You are a walking history book!

My vote right now is for Stephanie to be elected the official historian here. It is amazing you have been part of the Lee's Mardi Gras history, all stuff I was only able to read about.

BTW, could you post a larger image of the photo of you with the braless dress, the thumbnail links to another website where you have to be a registered member to view it.

Absolutely fascinating! Even more so because we know something about who you are now.

Danielle, I appreciate the nod but my story is such a small part of the whole. Think about what Tracii revealed about the Louisville scene. They were so much more progressive than NYC at the time. And then there is San Francisco! with Finocchio's and the whole GAY revolution. So maybe the better thought is for those of you who grew up in those venues share your experiences in those places. I can tell you that it is fun to remember and share your thoughts. It is also a great way to preserve our history and educate the younger members about some of the pioneers in our movement. Then we can learn from the complete picture. My story is only one window pane in a very large French door to the world of crossdressing. I think I fixed that link issue. Let me know if it is working. I think I fixed that issue with the pic so let me know if it worked.
    Last edited by Stephanie Julianna; 07-22-2019 at 08:45 AM.

Hi Stephanie Julianna

I think I fixed that link issue. Let me know if it is working. I think I fixed that issue with the pic so let me know if it worked.
    Sorry if I missed something but - I see a picture in post #1 and #4. I don't see any links.

I fixed that. It was not supposed to link and was creating all kinds of issues where it linked. The amazing part of this whole thing is that "I" fixed it. If you had any idea how bad I am with computer issues you would be saying "No way! There's no way she could have fixed it." My grandchildren go nuts when I am trying to show them something on my iphone and grab it from me half the time, in frustration. And I'm even talking about the 10 year old. So this was a milestone for me and I am going to put this in my Baby Book.

Definitely sincere in my request!