Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Spiro

It could be dangerous if not under a doctor's care! Labs have to be drawn to determine if the dosage needs to be changed! A drastic change in potassium level can possibly cause death! Dehydration is a problem and can be life threatening! Spiro is nothing to be messed with without supervision that only a medically qualified person can do! Just my nursing kicking in! Hugs Lana Mae
    Life is worth living!
    "Foxy lady! You look so good!!" Jimi Hendrix

Quote Originally Posted by kimdl93 View Post
    For those of you prescribed spiro.... how would you rate the experience on a 10 point scale? Thanks!
    This is the question asked in the original post. Respond if you have been prescribed Spiro. If you need to discuss other things, start another thread.

Utah, north of West Jordan, south of North Salt Lake & west of South Salt Lake
    I have a difficult time rating Spiro for it's own impact since I started E and S at the same time. I'm fine with the reduced libido, shrinkage and I don't have a problem with dehydration and frequent urination only because I've been taking finisteride for a few years longer. I have had some problems with leg cramps, but diet and hydration seem to have helped. It's not that I don't have the problems associated with taking Spiro, I'm just used to dealing with them. I'm not so pleased with the loss of upper body strength as it's showing up more and more all the time, I'm almost at the 11 month mark. I'm still having problems with my foot, so part of that might be the sedentary life I've been living.

I posted earlier that after I started HT I became much less anxious and more comfortable in my choice and place in the world. There is disagreement as to the cause of that. The hormones aren't known to have any kind of direct psychological effects so it may have been the benefit of finally making the choice and getting that weight off my mind. Others suggest the reduction in Testosterone in the system can have a calming effect.

Overall I'm still all in and rate the whole package at 8-10, I just can't tell you which is which because of the way I got started.
    Sarah
    Being transgender isn't a lifestyle choice. How you deal with it is.

It lowered my T level to almost zero and then upped itself a little to a woman's level. I rate that a 10, it did its job. It increased the number of times I had to urinate, which, since I was also incontinent from prostate removal many years ago, it cause several very embarrassing accidents and ruined one very nice brown suede skirt. That rates a 2-5, depending on accident or no. Now that I had an orchiectomy, I am off spiro. I rate that a 10+!!

Platinum Member
    Wow, a lot of real world experience and clinical knowledge to digest here. I have another thread in mind.....but thank you all! This discussion has been very helpful! More comments welcome
    Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one.

Eleanor Roosevelt

I've also had a lot of the experiences and side effects shared here, but probably the best one was the shedding of body hair. From having a hairy chest and legs, it's now more sparse, with a fine, short, almost vellus-like quality, even on my arms. Gone from my back are those odd patches of longish, curly hair. I even quit shaving for several months just to observe the changes. It's been a wonderful experience. My facial hair also grows slower and is all white now. No more 5 o'clock shadow if I choose not to shave. I'm also on E, so I can't vouch this is all due to the Spiro.

As Jeri Ann mentioned, I've never seen from any authoritative source that mentions an anti-androgen for transwomen hormone therapy w/out also initiating estrogen. From what I understand, the main reason for the anti-androgen in the first place is to lower the amount of estrogen necessary to achieve female hormone levels. But Spiro is also used outside HRT for hair loss and high blood pressure, too. So, as Laura said, I guess it depends on what you want to accomplish.

I can't give a rating, really, and I haven't been on HRT as long as a lot of girls here, but I consider it a success thus far.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I have to go pee.
    Jinny

Been on Spironolactone and Estradiol for 18 months. T level went from 140 to 4. E level is in normal 35 year old range.

Pros: Completely eliminated the gender dysporia stress. I'm very comfortable however I present.
    I I love pickles, olive, etc but salt craving has increased.
    Cons: Complete evaporation of libido. I never even think about sex and I really like not having that T driven background chatter. I do make an effort to satisfy my wife, though ZI haven't had an erection in 15 months.

Overall, been very satisfied with the journey.

My first provider put me on spiro and held estradiol hostage until I agreed to family counseling (I said no way). That crap wracked my body--I am an athlete. I workout hard 6-7 days a week. Spiro killed my endurance caused grotesque swelling in one leg and made me overall unwell. I personally give it a 1 on a 1-10 scale.

Current provider says up-to-date doctrine is to let estradiol alone tamp down testosterone levels, That practice has worked like a charm for me. YMMV.
    Last edited by JaytoJillian; 07-31-2019 at 04:11 AM.
    WARNING:Any institutions or individuals using this site or any of its associated sites for studies, projects, or any other purpose - YOU DO NOT HAVE MY PERMISSION To Use Any Of My Profile Or Pictures In Any Form Or Forum Both Current And Future.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jaytojillian/

I would have to rate my experience with Spiro as a 10. My T level is almost non existent, and it has helped get my blood pressure under control (BP meds alone were only partly effective). As others have said, functioning of the boy bits has diminished greatly, which is a wonderful thing on it's own.

I'm not sure what you mean by "rate it"? For what? Efficacy? Grief? General feeling? Your question is pretty subjective and you probably need to be more specific?

Aspiring Member
    I would explore starting E with your provider and see what happens to your T and E levels. I stopped taking spiro at the end of august and feel much better. I?m doing blood work in a couple weeks to see how much my T levels have come back up.

You really need to understand what your goals are with changing your hormone levels- mood, some feminization, transition, experimenting to see what it?s like, etc.

Kim, with your contacts just find the right endocrinologist and follow their recommendations. If you want slow tell them, same if you want fast. There are several different alternate approaches that to me just complicate the process and may delay any desired results. Good luck and enjoy the ride. It is wonderful and fun!