Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Spiro

Platinum Member

Spiro

A close friend of mine is a nurse practitioner. She worked extensively with HIV patients, and has over the past couple of years expanded her practice to include trans (both male and female). She knows my case and has suggested spiro. Being medication phobic and acquainted with the usual side effects, my initial reaction has been hesitance. But I’m teetering on that edge.

For those of you prescribed spiro.... how would you rate the experience on a 10 point scale?

Thanks!
    Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one.

Eleanor Roosevelt

It did its job until not needed anymore. It is a diuretic that is called Adalactone and is referred by that when I was in the hospital for surgery for another issue. It creates more urine and thus you tend to pee more often. As far as I know I had no other side effects beside it being an integral part of my HRT. It can have other more serious side effects that a simple Google search can better identify than I can.

Platinum Member
    So, a logical place to start?
    Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one.

Eleanor Roosevelt

I have been on it for 8 months. I have had no ill effects! I just pee a little more(seriously not a lot more!) I take it with my Estriadol patch and my last bloodwork showed me to be all girl! Testosterone and estrogen are both in female range! I actually feel better than I ever have! It is a decision that you and you only can make! I wish you the best and am sure you will make the right decision for you! I would rate it an 11! Hugs Lana Mae
    Life is worth living!
    "Foxy lady! You look so good!!" Jimi Hendrix

Depends. What are you trying to accomplish? Hope this is not medical snobbery, but it would be nice to know her endocrine qualifications. Can she order lab tests to see where your hormone levels are going?

Platinum Member
    Not snobbery at all. Good questions. She works under supervision of a very capable IM/ID doc...who happens to be my primary care provider as well. She has had ongoing, post graduate education in the area (which as CEO of the health center I authorized , and yes she can order lab tests to see where the hormone levels are. Both she and her supervising physician are people I have confidence in.

Eleanor Roosevelt

Silver Member
    I’ll be on it 7 years in August. Pretty severe dizziness in the beginning, gradually dissipating as I acclimated. It spiked my potassium, a couple of time dangerously, and managing that is an ongoing task.
    Lea

Kim, are you already on estrogen? It is my understanding that abnormal T levels have some undesirable effects if not replaced with E.

Platinum Member
    I’m not on E yet. My provider was leaning towards Spiro first. If there’s an undesirable side effect of suppressing what’s left of my T, I”m totally ok with replacing with estrogen.

Funny how malleable I am. Two years ago, I would have said, no, not gonna happen. Now, I’m thinking....mmm never say never.

Eleanor Roosevelt

There is another way, a bit more permanent, to decrease the testosterone. Probably should take estrogen if you go that route.

I have been on it now for close to two years, with the estrogen patches. My Endo just advises to drink lots of water and stay away from potassium high foods. I have not had any unexpected side effects and the have achieved the desired effects of getting my T and E levels in the normal range for a GG.

Richelle

I've been on low dose spiro for about 25 years after a heart attack in my late 40s. Apart from frequent urination, which is what it's supposed to do, there have been no effects.
    ALWAYS plan for the worst, then you can be pleasantly surprised if something else happens!

"The important thing about the bear is not how well she dances, but that she dances at all." - Old Russian Proverb (with a gender change)

Banned Read only
    Kim,
    The bottom line is if your not happy with your situation at the moment and under the correct supervision it might help then trust her .

I'm perfectly happy at the moment and see no point in going this route but I admit it's not without some outspoken comments from some of my TG friends , They say I'm a natural but also don't see them totally happy with their situation . Some really are on a carousel ride of blood tests and wrong dosage problems with some odd side effects and in the UK some have waited over two years with the NHS to reach this point .

My experience on Spiro was good overall but after 18 months I started having some issues with my bloodwork. Since I knew by that time I wasn't going to stop transitioning, I took alternative actions mentioned by Laura in reply #10 and stopped the Spiro.

The most common issues that I know of among my friends are:

1. Falling over at least once. You have to stay hydrated at all times, or your blood pressure will drop when you stand. It's not hard to remember to stay hydrated since the Spiro makes you pee more, but you have to stay attuned to your body and drink when it tells you to. Usually you need to fall down at least once to learn that this isn't something that only happens to other people.

2. You'll probably never have an unbroken night's sleep while you're on Spiro. For those 18 months I was up at least once a night to pee.

3. You'll suddenly start eating pickles. Your body craves the brininess of pickles, capers or olives. I didn't even notice that I had started buying a jar of pickles a week until I got off Spiro.

4. I and many of my friends noted the decreased libido as a positive thing. I felt less like I was being run by my body and more like I was in charge. YMMV
    I am not a woman; I don't want to be a woman; I don't want to be mistaken for a woman.
    I am not a man; I don't want to be a man; I don't want to be mistaken for a man.
    I am a transgender person. And I'm still figuring out what that means.

Silver Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pat View Post
    Usually you need to fall down at least once to learn that this isn't something that only happens to other people.
    Yes. Early on I went out cold getting out of bed and clocked my head but good on the bed frame. While I don’t usually have that level of dizziness anymore, I’ve learned to sit down in a hurry!

Funny thing about pickles. I bought several jars a few weeks ago. Then ate an entire jar between the grocery store and home ... approximately 10 minutes. I’ve always consumed a lot of salt, though, and my blood sodium levels are quite low, even before the Spiro.
    Lea

Aspiring Member
    when I stopped spiro for a month i couldn’t believe how salty my food had gotten!
    Last edited by Nikki.; 07-23-2019 at 07:21 AM.

Platinum Member
    Ok, downsides noted. In your experiences, what were the benefits, if any, and were these sufficient to compensate for dizziness and a craving for salty foods?

Eleanor Roosevelt

Aspiring Member
    After about two weeks off it, I started getting really irritated at things- stuff not put away,’chores not done, crappy self centered driving around me, etc. Normal irritating stuff in the course of life. And it would really piss me off, and I would complain about it and be grumpy. And then I realized that was my normal state of being as a dude, before hrt. No thanks. So I started back up around the first of July. It’s taken 2-3 weeks, but I can tell my mood, attitude or whatever isn’t as reactive towards anger. Unless otherwise dictated by health concerns, I don’t plan on going off it again

[SIZE=1]- - - Updated - - -[/SIZE]

This may not apply to you Kim, but i was moderately dysphoric; kinda miserable all the time with some occasional bad periods. HRT took the edge off that. Most days now I do fine.

I'm so far 15 months on HRT with spiro.
    Cons: need to pee very often. Driving for Uber is a complication but I lear that Starbucks are all around.
    At night I avoid drinking liquids 4 hours before going sleep but need to pee 2 times during the night.
    Craving for salt made me eat so many lemons a day that destroy the enammel of the 3 front teeth, now I'm needing crowns.
    At the beginning had to get used to stand up slowly to ot get dizzy but that pass long ago.
    What I know that with the long term side effects would be dangerous so I'm thinking on orchiectomy because, any way, no erections needed.
    Testosterone is reduced and a lot of loss of energy. Need to learn to do things no hard but wise.

Pros: zero libido but still having sex with wife when needed but less often.
    Erections just when needed, no morning woods..
    Estrogens had worked miracles without the presence ce of testosterone.
    HRT 042018; Full time 032019
    Orchiectomy 062020; gender& name legal changed 102020
    Electrolysis face begins 082019, in genitals for GCS 062021
    Breast augmentation surgery 012022
    GCS 072022; BBL 022023; GCS revision 04203;END TRANSITION

Silver Member
    I started with Spiro only for the first few months. Dropping T levels made a huge improvement in mood. Irritability went down rapidly. Temper flare-ups (which were hair triggered and titanic) dramatically improved and occurred less frequently. All this before reaching target levels or full dosage, which took a year or so due to my potassium levels.

I experience T as a very powerful irritant. Life is much more pleasant with it held at a low level.
    Lea

Banned Read only
    Nikki/Leap,
    That's one benifit I could live with , being grousy and picky and temper flares in male mode . Saying that if I'm totally left alone by my wife as a reminder of things as they use to be I'm very much calmer and less prone to those problems . OK my wife called it burying my head in the sand but I've now found excluding some people or situations from my life does help , all to do with brain chemistry I guess .

I have never heard a suitable explanation for starting Spiro in advance of Estradiol. Only on this forum have there been a few reports this. Of the many TS I know, S and E were started simultaneously. It seems simple. Increase Estrogen levels as you decrease Testosterone. That exchanges one primary sex hormone for another. And as Aunt Kelly mentioned, and I understand as well, a primary sex hormone is necessary for optimum health.

As for scoring Spiro? For suppressing Testosterone it works well. Tens of thousands have used it successively. Maybe give it an 8 in that respect. That is, if you don't mind your male functions to diminish over time. A good side effect that has already been mentioned is the suppression of aggression.

On the other hand, Spiro can have very negative side effects in some people. The diuretic effects are the most obvious in the vast majority of people. These diuretic effects, while annoying, can be only the tip of the iceberg. It is common for dehydration to spurn leg cramps, some of which can be serious. In the past 1 1/2 years I have had a lot of problems with my legs. Cramps, circulation and muscle weakness are what I have dealt with. I am convinced that Spiro either caused some of the problems or, at least exacerbated them. After quitting Spiro and twelve weeks of Physical Therapy, my legs have greatly improved.

Leg problems are actually so prevalent that, among the transwomen I know, many have have had their Testosterone producing parts surgically removed. I couldn't wait until I got close enough to surgery to stop the Spiro. When I got within six weeks of my surgery I quit, threw the rest away and told my pharmacy to remove it from my medications. Now, two weeks post op, I have been Spiro free for two months.

I know some here have reported no issues. Their experience with HRT amounts to minutes when compared to the rest of your life. I was on Spiro and Estradiol for 19 years. Also, I did some checking. The dehydration thing is more serous the older you are. So, if you are serious about suppressing Testosterone production for the rest of your life, then move toward a surgical solution as quickly as possible. If you are not that serious, don't screw up your body by messing up your hormones. Get another hobby. Just sayin.

Aspiring Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Teresa View Post
    Nikki/Leap,
    That's one benifit I could live with , being grousy and picky and temper flares in male mode . Saying that if I'm totally left alone by my wife as a reminder of things as they use to be I'm very much calmer and less prone to those problems . OK my wife called it burying my head in the sand but I've now found excluding some people or situations from my life does help , all to do with brain chemistry I guess .
    If the only desired outcome was the reduction of temper et al, there are better ways. Mindful Meditation aka Vinpassana comes to mind. It’s free with no negative side effects

Spiro problems

After getting several low readings on my T levels and having really low blood pressure, I weened myself off Spiro earlier this year. My T levels are steady and my BP is up. I was experiencing dizziness when I stood up quickly or made a quick spin.
    Two years ago I suffered a bad fall when I passed out from turning quickly and bounced off a desk. After a year of testing, we deduced it was the Spiro, so I took 6 months and worked my self off and now I feel great.
    C97E0A36-3CE9-4502-A498-964B202E5DD5.jpg
    Be yourself. Everyone else is taken!

Banned Read only
    Nikki,
    Taking away the stressful parts of my life gives me enough of a balance , male mode just pushes me back , I know it's going to take time .

Heidi ,
    In that case does Spiro reduce BP in most people ? At the moment I'm experiencing dizzy spells but I'm told it's vertigo but I know my T levels are normal to high and BP is OK , I donate blood twice a year so I'm certain if I had any problems I would have been notified .

As many have said in the past it's not something we should play around with , I am concerned with some of my TG friends who are self medicating and often sharing or swapping hormones .