Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Do you pass as a genetic woman?

I think I pass at 20 feet in the dark of night most of the time. I think I hardly ever pass at 10 feet in bright light. But, it's hard to tell. Most men won't even look at me because they are afraid of "catching" what I have. Many GGs give me or return a girl smile to me. I don't know if that means (1) I know you're a guy, but I give you credit for a good try or (2) it's the secret smile between two girls (similar to the head nod between two guys).
    Hi, I'm Steffi and I'm a crossdresser... And I accept and celebrate both sides of me. Or, maybe I'm gender fluid.

When I was younger in high school and college, I could easily pass as I dressed modestly and similarly to other young girls. I would even go to lectures and class in college dressed as a girl. As I’ve gotten older, I am definitely dressing more provocatively in high heels and heavy make up that definitely gives me away. For me, it’s about having fun and wearing sexy clothes and make up. I usually only go out with my wife on weekend nights to restaurant/bars and then to a club to dance. That’s my thing. And I don’t really try to blend conservatively in the regular daytime crowd. Too much of a vampire.

There is an old saying "Self praise is no recommendation" and it is my personal opinion the reflection we see in the mirror or our photos is not the true representation of how others see us in the real world where they can instantly observe us from different angles. It could be my CD radar but even with very attractive and feminine crossdressers ( and there are many on this forum) I think there are very few amongst us who can pass close scrutiny. Just because someone in the public doesn't say something doesn't mean they haven't noticed as the majority of the public are inherently polite. However, as many have said here before, going out if you enjoy it is more important than passing 100%. Of course, you can take all of my opinion with a big grain of salt since Danielle is a strictly stay at home girl.

I think the upshot is that a lot of us have passed on occasion, mostly due to lack of close scrutiny. In which case it’s more of a distance/attentiveness thing really. On a good day I’ve got a 3 to 5 foot event horizon inside of which people know or have become confused.

I’m 6’ tall and usually dress in what I call my modern retro style: feminine and fitted outfits emphasizing my figure. Always heels. And I’m good with my makeup skills. Which means I attract eyeballs. If I were 5’7” and wore jeans? Yeah, I’d probably [still erroneously] believe I passed 99% of the time. But I’ll pick looking stylish over passing any day. What a waste of a day to blend and still be clocked!
    Last edited by AngelaYVR; 07-24-2019 at 01:04 AM.

I pass as ME all the time!

Banned Read only
    Breaking news: If you believe that you pass, and you are confident as a result, then you pass. The rest of the world will see what you project. If you are a 6ft tall, broad shoulders and square jaw kind woman exuding confidence, you're good. If you are 5'3, slender and beautiful and you're acting all paranoid or self conscious, people who pay attention will determine that there's something off about you. Love yourself and don't worry about what others may think.

As much as I wish I could, for the me the answer is "NO"

But I'm remembering a member of a group I attended a while ago. She was beautiful and I could have easily believed that she was the SO of one of the members, until I heard (her) wife complaining about (him) leaving false eyelashes all over the place.

I was SO-O-O-O jealous!
    I never did, but I wanted to tell her "If I could look that good, I'd never be seen as male again."
    so - I'd say that yes, it is possible for some of us to achieve the magical "pass" threshold.
    I just wish I was one of them.

Banned Read only
    Tracy,
    Perhaps I should PM you about the technical details of the paintings and costings .

The question is did my account of that week give you a better insight into the , " Passing , Acceptance " situation ?

Is there a secret , or just a case of just going out there and doing it ?

Micki,
    I don't agree with the more / less argument , for me learning what less means was the way to go , I still feel I'm a little OTT but most tell me it's about right .

Tracy, Not a chance. I try, but I'm 6'2, 250 pounds. I'm a line backer in a dress.
    Please call me Jamie, I always_have crossdressed, I always will, "alwayshave".

Quote Originally Posted by Sallee View Post
    Some days with some people. Other days not so much.......Other times I have been read by a blind man at night. I wish I new what the trick was to 100% I'll say I pass 50 to 60% of the time

Quote Originally Posted by Micki_Finn View Post
    There isn’t an easy answer to this because there are many levels of interaction. The hostess at the restaurant probably won’t clock me, but the waiter I have a detailed interaction with probably will.

Different people also have different levels of awareness. Some people may notice some may not, so I don’t think anyone can say that they pass 100% of the time (excepting trans women from this conversation). As someone who basically can pass in most situations, the biggest “secrets” are 1) makeup. Less is NOT more when it comes to transforming your face into something feminine, and 2) genetics. Some of us have more feminine features to start.
    I agree with Sallee and Micki. I do not pass anywhere near 100% of the time and I wish I knew what I was doing right/different when I do pass. Micki may be on to something talking about "Different people also have different levels of awareness." I'm a people watcher,my wife on the other hand just goes about her business in her own world. I've often made a comment to her when out in public about someone or something and my wife's response is "oh I didn't notice."
    Last edited by Jillian Faith; 07-26-2019 at 07:32 AM.
    Jill

I don’t think I do, but I’ve never stopped anyone to ask. I had one very positive experience at Payless Shoes. It wasn’t until I checked out did the SA know. I couldn’t disguise my voice. She was very nice and complementary especially about my makeup, so we chatted a little. Around this neighborhood, the key is to blend in...which is to dress very plainly...capris, top sandals, little, if any, makeup, etc. Heels, hose, dresses, too much makeup (my favorites) are definitely tip-offs. When I go out, it’s usually after dark, for drives, or a walk in a mall.

The short answer is no, of course not. My face is more fem than the average guy and I have very little body hair. My facial hair is also mostly fair so I don't need lots of beard cover makeup. My height is under 5'6". I have mediocre skills at applying makeup, breast forms and an assortment of wigs but that's not enough.

I haven't done anything to transition. No HRT, no facial surgery or other surgeries, no electrolysis or laser treatments etc. Those that have been in transition for a few years are more likely to be completely passable. I've seen some amazing transformations on facebook!

I find it amusing how many times I've seen CDs describe their selves as passable. Compared to what? I'm only passable at night from a looong distance.
    "You're the only one to see the changes you take yourself through", Stevie Wonder

Quote Originally Posted by Tracy Irving View Post
    Do you 100% pass as a genetic woman when out engaging with the public?
    100%? Not a chance. I can think of twice in 30 years of going out that someone, from a distance, in dim light, mistook me for a woman. If 'engaging' means 'talking with' it would not have happened twice.

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MonicaPVD View Post
    Breaking news: If you believe that you pass, and you are confident as a result, then you pass. The rest of the world will see what you project. If you are a 6ft tall, broad shoulders and square jaw kind woman exuding confidence, you're good. If you are 5'3, slender and beautiful and you're acting all paranoid or self conscious, people who pay attention will determine that there's something off about you. Love yourself and don't worry about what others may think.
    Mmmmmm, no! It's nice to go out relaxed and confidently. But, you're confusing acceptance with passing, Monica. Just because folks treat u nice, don't laff and point at u, doesn't mean you've passed and they think you're a GG.

And, believing u pass is like me believing I'm Marilyn Monroe. (See my avatar). It doesn't make it so!
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

DO I pass, no way. Can I walk through a store/ museum/ coffee shop with no issues, yes. Most people’s brains are in auto pilot. There eyes see a person in a skirt with long hair and a chest and they place her in the female category and life goes on. If you get someone who is looking deeper, than it gets harder. Most people are busy in their own lives and don’t even notice when I walk by. Is that passing?

Platinum Member
    I'm six foot even money which is down from a six foot two in my prime. I'm 200 pounds which is up from my prime of 175 pounds. Once upon a time I had a 38 inch chest and a 30 inch waist. Now the chest is 42 and the waist is 38-40 depending how much I have to suck it in. I look at the group picture in which I am standing among a group to women. I cannot pass as a GG. Any person's eye will hone in on me among a crowd. I know when I am scanning people in the mall my eye hones in on women who are tall. It's probably because I am trying to determine if the person is a GG or a cross dresser. I have almost zero body hair. I never have to shave my legs. If I shave close in the morning or before some cross dressing activity my face will not get a five o'clock shadow until late evening. None of that residual sandpaper look.

I am primarily an in-home cross dresser who does take evening strolls. I don't have to worry about passing or blending.

As a side comment. Back in 1977 I spent seven weeks in San Francisco for company training. I remember one notable occasion when I "clocked" two very attractive cross dressers in a restaurant. Their physical appearance was 100% passable. Both were tall and slender. Hair was long. If I was not scanning for people like me I probably would not have noticed. What gave them away was their movements. I got the impression both had to think too much about how a woman walks. Any woman their age (late 20's, early 30's) would not have to think about how to walk. GG's walking tends to be very fluid. Ever watch Vanna White walk in front of the puzzle board? Is she not a natural when walking?

Anyway, I do not pass. I can only strive to dress nicely as a woman my age would dress.

YOULOVEMYTOES Palaina Nocturnus's Avatar
    Ok first off I'm blessed with being thin but very strong. I have native blood so I grow my hair out, but I have almost zero body hair. Even while in male clothes I've gotten confused for a female. So you'd think that I'd be passible 100 percent of the time, right? Nope.

Confidence. That's my secret, passed down to me from some truly great drag queens I met when I first started to come out. If you own it, you'll own them. Have you really looked at the female gender? Not all of them are good looking, some women naturally look like men. Do we bat an eye at them? Does the world really care anymore seeing a butch lesbian or a flaming drag queen? No, not really. So us as CDs are just as passible.

My voice is naturally very low so I do try to soften my speech but in general I've always been more like a young white girl trapped inside an old latino lol my mannerisms and the things I find attractive are the exact opposite of any typical Male.

Yes, when I go out now I get called by female pronouns and I never have to suggest them.

Confidence, you got this luv!!!

Quote Originally Posted by MonicaPVD View Post
    While confidence is good, and helps a lot, it is NOT a magic bullet. I’ve seen some girls VERY confidently wearing their wig sideways or dress backwards, or sporting 5 o’clock shadow.

Not having anyone say anything to you is NOT the same as passing.

No unless it's completely dark and you can't see me. Oh yeah, if I don't speak either. Billie Jean

Banned Read only
    Micki is right, don't confuse acceptance or being treated with respect as passing.

You know the TERF's always try to hurt us by reminding us that we are not passing and people are just being nice.

Well as I have said before, that's all I ask.

I am not trying to fool anyone. I have long since given up on the illusion of passing as a GG.

there's no way I pass, but I think I blend reasonably well. I also think that advancing age has a certain something to do with it. As we get older, the aging skin and features seem pretty common to both sexes and I think we tend to become a bit more androgynous as the years go by. I've seen a number of older women who are not 'drop dead gorgeous' and who could very well be either sex.

I do pass 95% of the time, but — I’m 5’6” (down from 5’8” in my prime), 150 lbs, I’ve been on hormones for 3 years and I have my own long hair. I never had to study feminine mannerisms; it was more a process of giving myself permission to stop trying to act macho once I was diagnosed as transgender and then letting the hormones take over.

I’ve been living full time for sixteen months now; being me is pretty much effortless.

I am currently recovering from facial feminization surgery; ask me this question again in six weeks after the swelling is gone down.

My favorite pass: I had my facial feminization surgery at a Kaiser general surgical facility. The nurse who greeted us and brought me in said to my wife later (in Tagalog; they are both Filipino) “Why are you lesbian with that woman, what a waste, you are a pretty girl, you could get any man you want.” My wife said the woman’s eyes got huge when she told her that I was transgender and we had been married for 19 years.

My wife told me this story later in the day while she was driving me home from surgery. I still laugh about this when I think of it—right before facial feminization surgery I got a pass while in a hospital gown with no makeup on and my hair pulled back under a surgical cap.��
    Carries a spray bottle of "pink fog" around with her in her purse at all times.

Banned Read only
    That's one hell of a loser nurse.

Quote Originally Posted by OCCarly View Post
    I do pass 95% of the time, but — I’m 5’6” (down from 5’8” in my prime), 150 lbs, I’ve been on hormones for 3 years and I have my own long hair. I never had to study feminine mannerisms; it was more a process of giving myself permission to stop trying to act macho once I was diagnosed as transgender and then letting the hormones take over.

I’ve been living full time for sixteen months now; being me is pretty much effortless.

I am currently recovering from facial feminization surgery; ask me this question again in six weeks after the swelling is gone down.

My favorite pass: I had my facial feminization surgery at a Kaiser general surgical facility. The nurse who greeted us and brought me in said to my wife later (in Tagalog; they are both Filipino) “Why are you lesbian with that woman, what a waste, you are a pretty girl, you could get any man you want.” My wife said the woman’s eyes got huge when she told her that I was transgender and we had been married for 19 years.

My wife told me this story later in the day while she was driving me home from surgery. I still laugh about this when I think of it—right before facial feminization surgery I got a pass while in a hospital gown with no makeup on and my hair pulled back under a surgical cap.��

If I shaved my beard off I would pass.

I have been in public after professional makeovers and suspected people knew but never worried about it. Life is too short to worry.