Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Catfish - how many do we think?

Aspiring Member

Catfish - how many do we think?

What does everyone reckon the percentage is of members on here?

The meaning: A "catfish" is someone who pretends to be someone else online. This person completely assumes a fake identity and goes the extra mile to make others believe that they are exactly who they say they are.

Just interested.

Are we all just Catfish......Thoughts?

Tammy

I would say zero. A catfish is someone who assumes an identity in order to deceive people into thinking they are someone else. That doesn’t cover anyone here that I know of. Altering your appearance to be more aesthetically pleasing to oneself or others is NOT catfishing, otherwise you could literally call everyone who wears makeup or has had plastic surgery a “catfish”.

Aspiring Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Micki_Finn View Post
    I would say zero. A catfish is someone who assumes an identity in order to deceive people into thinking they are someone else. That doesn’t cover anyone here that I know of. Altering your appearance to be more aesthetically pleasing to oneself or others is NOT catfishing, otherwise you could literally call everyone who wears makeup or has had plastic surgery a “catfish”.
    How does that work with 'passing' then?

i would hope zero.

possibly a few might be extending the truth a bit to make others jealous of their situation, but i would find it hard to believe someone with no CD thoughts would would bother to join in.

Aspiring Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kinkyboots View Post
    i would hope zero.

possibly a few might be extending the truth a bit to make others jealous of their situation
    I would hope so too but sometimes you think.... Are they who they claim to be?

Quote Originally Posted by Tamsin Secret View Post
    How does that work with 'passing' then?
    The same way it works with lifts in your shoes. You are disguising or altering your appearance, but you’re still not attempting to deceive someone into thinking you’re a completely different person.

There’s also a difference between allowing someone to believe false information and actively lying. Women who wear padded bras are letting other people believe false I formation about them (that they’re bigger on top than they are). That’s a big difference from going around telling everybody “I’m a D cup” when you’re actually a B.
    Last edited by Micki_Finn; 07-24-2019 at 04:28 PM.

Banned Read only
    Tammy,
    There have been members I would suspect being a " Catfish " , usually the mods will pick up on them and have them evicted . Some join as trolls trying to cause havoc , some appear to be gathering information which is often given away by the style of their questions . I believe we have had a few GGs with a grudge against the TG community .

I'm glad to say at the moment we don't appear to have any trolls , which is pretty good for an online forum .

Lets face it to disguise an identity online is the easiest thing in the World to do , you can adopt any name and use anyone's picture .
    Last edited by Teresa; 07-24-2019 at 04:29 PM.

I actually like catfishing but I am refering to the aquatic species.

With regards to pretending to be someone else, ask any of my friends which I would prefer as a present, a ballgown or a smart shirt I am certain 100% would get it wrong. I am pretending on here or in real life.

Banned Read only
    Maria,
    Not really , just not able to be honest with everyone all the time .

Banned Spammer
    Between here and there but mostly here close to the donuts.
    You are still the same person and not trying to be anyone else by "passing".
    I have heard the term but never really knew what it meant until this thread.

Yeah I agree with Tracii. Catfishing is more like a "sting". It means pretending to be someone else in order to benefit at their expense somehow. Usually money, but could be publicity, embarrassment, even just personal entertainment or schadenfreude (mods.. it's a valid English word https://www.merriam-webster.com/dict.../schadenfreude I know I've been dinged before for using foreign language words but this isn't one of them).

"Catfishing" does not apply to the CD/Trans community, in my humble opinion, based on some personal experience with "catfish".

The ones I have dealt with (or have heard about from friends) generally are on-line personas, engaged in the exhausting sport of trying to gather "fap" material. And, for the most part, men who are looking for on-line titillation.

Catfish will generally present as a female, usually in a chat room, in order to engage in on-line erotic chats, or to entice a woman to share nudes or erotic pictures. They may offer pics of "themselves", which are usually stolen erotic pictures. The main point to self pleasure themselves, at the expense of another.

Although some of them may cross the line from "catfisher" to "scammer", if they feel like they have a gullible mark on the line. And some of them will encourage a face to face meeting, where the victim (usually a woman. or a CD. or transwoman) will be subject to, at the least, robbery, but often a worse outcome. Anything from a beating, to murder. Including the "R" word. (I'm not sure if the accepted 4-letter word for 'non-consensual intercourse" is allowed)
    Before you can love another, you must first like yourself

I Aim To Misbehave

Labels belong on BOXES, not PEOPLE!

Gold Member
    I like Sea Bass, Whitefish, but I do not care for catfish. So I will not become one.
    Rader

Banned Spammer
    Between here and there but mostly here close to the donuts.
    Catfish tastes like dirt to me RADER.

Platinum Member
    Urban Dictionary: internet predators that fabricate online identities and entire social circles to trick people...

The world is rife with people pretending to be someone or something they are not. If you ask the right questions you'll ferret them out. I'm sure there are people on this site gathering information or doing research. Or checking out their spouse. I do agree with Teresa (#9) I sense some hostility from some GG's towards cross dressing. The advice on this forum is worth exactly what you paid for it. Buyer beware. You and you alone bear the consequences of following it. Ever consider there is the possibility someone urging you do go out en femme is intentionally setting you up for a major disappointment. Or coming clean with your wife.

Heck, today I got a call from the medicare scammers. Last year it was the IRS. Every year Microsoft Security. Last week I had to call out a Nam vet for all the bullshit he posted on the internet. I know a guy who claims to be a Navy Seal. Cat fishing is alive and well.

Banned Read only
    I believe the difference is the intent.

A "Catfish" is doing it with the intent to deceive.

I am not trying to deceive anyone, I am just trying to be me.

Quote Originally Posted by Tracii G View Post
    Catfish tastes like dirt to me RADER.
    Once you batter it and fry it, it all taste the same anyway
    Last edited by Robertacd; 07-24-2019 at 09:22 PM.

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar

Exclamation OMG, people!

Stick to the point! "R T's here really like they present?"

I asked my self that question over 10 years ago. So, I attended 4 SCC's in Atlanta. cd.comers were heavily represented there. Over the years I met over 100 girls from here. I believe they have all left this site by now. But, I'm still FB friends with a number of them.
    Then, I went out locally to meet maybe 10 cd.comers near me. Micki and Jenny r a couple of new cd.com girls I've met. But, the old timers from here from 5 years ago r gone, too.

My point being? NOT ONE CATFISH IN THE BUNCH!
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

Quote Originally Posted by Tamsin Secret View Post
    The meaning: A "catfish" is someone who pretends to be someone else online. This person completely assumes a fake identity and goes the extra mile to make others believe that they are exactly who they say they are.
    Interesting, I have never heard of that term before this thread. It seems like it would be difficult to catch someone as a "catfish" if you didn't know of their different previous identity.

I remember there were some time ago but they were, as Teresa said in #7, banned.
    GeorgeA
    formerly Salerba

"a miad" Man-in-a-Dress

Silver Member
    The purpose of catfishing is to con a potential victim for financial gain. If that's happening here, please tell my how it's happening so I can recognise it, avoid it and call out the purpetrators. Personally, I don't see how it could happen here. No post I have ever seen makes any demand for money.

Banned Read only
    The term cannot apply to this group of people because the diversity of experiences here is to broad. We have everything from people who only dress in the privacy of their homes and those who only dress partially, all the way to women who are transitioning. If someone feels the need to create a fictional narrative that doesn't match their real life experiences but satisfies their emotional needs, how does that affect me? Who am I to judge? I'm not your mom, your kid or your significant other. You do you.

Tamsin, there is an anonymous feature to the site, in that you don't have to show who you really are. My avatar is me, but I could easily use a cartoon character or none at all. Catfishing would be if I took someone else's avatar and set up an account with a handle that is close to theirs. These are two different things.
    Please call me Jamie, I always_have crossdressed, I always will, "alwayshave".

Banned Read only
    Jodie,
    That's the whole point , anyone can join this forum and I'm sure there are still some here who aren't TG but just intrigued by the situation . I'm sure some therapists drop in as visitors or are hidden behind a false avatar to gain more information to help clients . I miss Amanda from Spain she was great to talk to as a therapist but sadly no longer visits here .

Quote Originally Posted by suzanne View Post
    The purpose of catfishing is to con a potential victim for financial gain. If that's happening here, please tell my how it's happening so I can recognise it, avoid it and call out the purpetrators. Personally, I don't see how it could happen here. No post I have ever seen makes any demand for money.
    This is a misconception. It can be much worse than financial exploitation. Just type Heidelberg Catfish into Google and you'll see what I mean.

Aspiring Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jodie_Lynn View Post
    "Catfishing" does not apply to the CD/Trans community