Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Catfish - how many do we think?

Thanks for pointing out my error Tamsin. That should have read "Catfishing does not apply to THIS CD/Trans community."

Despite the parsing of the phrase, the underlying motive for catfishing is deception, for whatever purpose. Whilst there have been trolls on these boards, they are usually caught out very quickly by both members and staff.

And while it is true that there have been some posters here whose tales are.. less than believable, I haven't encountered anyone on these boards who fit the catfish profile.
    Before you can love another, you must first like yourself

I Aim To Misbehave

Labels belong on BOXES, not PEOPLE!

Resident Polymath MarinaTwelve200's Avatar
    Pretending to be someone else (real or fictional) to deceive others for personal advantage or gain---I suppose rather than Procuring the delicious aquatic Denison.

As to the piscine variety, I don't think I've ever tasted it.

I've had shark, this way, if I ever get eaten by one, we are even.

I've had salmon, tuna, haddock, tilapia, conch, lobster, crab, clams, shrimp, scallops, and a host of other finny friends, but never catfish. They kind of creep me out.
    Before you can love another, you must first like yourself

I Aim To Misbehave

Labels belong on BOXES, not PEOPLE!

Wherever there is a Sale or Macys, but mostly Baltimore MD
    I confess to catfishing, sometimes i just have to get properly dressed, get out of the house, cruise out to my favorite spot, reach into that dark hole and start nootling that catfish out.
    Kelly DeWinter
    Find Kelly at:
    Kelly's Blog
    Flicker
    [COLOR=#2e8b57

Zero. All of us here are trying to be exactly who we are.
    Not a woman, I just enjoy looking and feeling like one now and then!

I'm not sure of what one would gain from catfishing this site, but then again, I don't know how a catfisher thinks so maybe there is something to gain. I don't know.

While certainly possible given the medium of a relatively anonymous forum, I certainly haven’t noticed anything egregious. This may be a testament to the moderation staff as well!

Aspiring Member
    Everyone who has contributed so far thank you. All valid points of view for sure and validated as non catfish 😁. What about the rest of you? 🤔

Platinum Member
    Frankly, I doubt that there are any significant numbers. There was, years ago, a particular case here...a girl who went to what seems now absurd extremes to falsely represent herself. She was eventually hoist by her own petard. I love quoting Shakespeare
    Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one.

Eleanor Roosevelt

I've pretty much been an open book on this forum. Furthermore, no one has ever tried to scam me here in the last 11 years.
    "You're the only one to see the changes you take yourself through", Stevie Wonder

Resident Polymath MarinaTwelve200's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jodie_Lynn View Post
    As to the piscine variety, I don't think I've ever tasted it.

I've had shark, this way, if I ever get eaten by one, we are even.

I've had salmon, tuna, haddock, tilapia, conch, lobster, crab, clams, shrimp, scallops, and a host of other finny friends, but never catfish. They kind of creep me out.

NEVER CATFISH! ? They are the BEST of Fish, the white meat with perfect textures. Mark Twain took issue with a UK commentator about how the Southerners had been reduced to eating things like "Catfish". Twain responded that The Catfish, despite its name, is fine enough fish for the plate of a KING.

They are very close to FLOUNDER in flavor and texture, but less bones and make fine filets .
    Last edited by MarinaTwelve200; 07-27-2019 at 10:39 AM.

I would have to go along with that famous philosopher "Popeye" who said, "I am what I am." I feel this best describes me.

C'mon y'all...we're crossdressers for gosh sakes..so 100% !
    Last edited by AnnieMac; 07-30-2019 at 08:52 AM.

See also the popular MTV show 'Catfish'. (132 episodes so far)

I knew some catfish back in the day, 20 years OK. They were lonely mainly, not financial scammers. For most the attention is more important.

And no, I'm not a catfish, despite the whiskers. Or the cartoon avatar. Wifeling disliked my previous RL pic, even though it didn't show my face.

Silver Member
    Uhg,

Call it what you will, but I don't care for the implication. Sure, there are those out there that may either be only an internet profile, or even people that dress IRL to "dupe" someone. But I think a lot of us that go out dressed do so to please our own sense of self. And I would not include that under the concept of catfish.

Tammy,

I have a fake identity here for privacy reasons, but I don’t pretend to be anyone else. So I think it is contextual. On this forum we expect members to use aliases, or their fem name, instead of their given name. And many here are closeted and can’t post photos of themselves. So just as you would be suspicious of a catfish who hid their true identity, I would expect others to be cautious in interactions with anonymous members.

Nyla

I rather sense that Megan was disparaging of deceit rather than anonymity, Nyla. Big difference.

As Capt Obvious would say, "this being a public site and you will find publically a wide array of audiences"...As to actual %'s????

Their is no way to find out....
    Escapism isn't necessarily bad, but is definitely unhealthy in the long term. While helpful in the short term, things will degrade over time. At some point, the escapee will have to face the issue. Things simply blowing over isn't really going to happen in many situations.

While there may be no members here that deceive for financial gains,I have been here a good while and feel there are imaginary people here. Short,quips of no substance combined with no one having met the person in the real world,makes me suspect.
    It SURE is my hair ! I have the receipt and the box it came in !

I think that there are people who try to deceive , either to spark conflict, or for a thesis for some research.

In the years I have been here and have been an admin, I can count on one or two hands the number of people who have been caught either by the mods , but more often by the members ( all of you !) who research all their prior posts, or just don’t pass the sniff test

Abbie, I agree, that is the distinction I was trying to make and therefore those of us that wish to be anonymous are not automatically catfish. But since it is difficult to determine our motives, it is wise to be cautious as Rogina describes.

I don't show my true self here...or get on very often...I am just scared to reveal all...not a catfish