Thread: No reactions

Aspiring Member

No reactions

I was out for a coffee today in a village in the Highlands with a GG friend. She knows I dress but I was presenting as a male, simply because it was too hot for a wig.

Someone obviously thought differently and entered the shop we were sitting outside. She was wearing a very red wig and a long navy and white print dress which I think had a big slit. It was almost certainly a crossdresser or TS or a very masculine woman. I mentioned to my friend that a man in a dress had just walked behind her and she did not even turn round. She said she had seen lots of men in womens clothes on a recent trip to Edinburgh.

I then went to a nearby town on my own. A person of ambiguous gender in a short print dress with a severe short back and sides haircut, no obvious bosom and quite a masculine walk went into the supermarket before me and then left it just in front of me.

No one reacted to either. Not so much as a second glance or whispered comment.

I knew from my many excursions in Scotland dressed that people take it in their stride here but I always assumed there was some subtle staring and comment once you were out of sight or earshot. Apparently not. If we are this laid back in the Highlands you are certainly OK in a UK city. No one cares except you.

hello Susan,
    I think you might be right - no one cares except you (and me)
    luv J

It's been my experience, out & about, that most people really don't care. They are more worried about their own selves & lives to pay much attention.

Too many CD folk spend far more time worrying about the muggles, than is warranted. For the most part.
    Before you can love another, you must first like yourself

I Aim To Misbehave

Labels belong on BOXES, not PEOPLE!

Susan,

I'd generally have to agree with you but with the rider that there will always be places that are to be steered clear of in all cities and towns. We all know of a pub somewhere near where we live that is to be avoided. Really it's no more than common sense. Situations that feel wrong generally are.
    Who dares wears Get in, get out without being noticed

Platinum Member
    From across the pond...do they still say that? ...it seems that unless one is garishly dressed, people are quite content to go about their own business without speculating on the gender of others. I think it’s fair to observe that if one don’t know if the person being scrutinized is CD or a somewhat masculine appearing woman, then it’s best to leave the subject alone. I’m relatively tall, athletic in build and have a variety of other attributes that qualify as tells, but I’ve seen many women, taller, more muscular, certainly larger, and even with more noticeable facial hair than my own. We’re we in the same proximity, it’s anyones guess who might be deemed trans.
    Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one.

Eleanor Roosevelt

Banned Spammer
    Between here and there but mostly here close to the donuts.
    Whats the distinction as far as area when you say highlands and midlands?
    Is there a lowlands ?

I was at a computer store when a customer walked in, a man, I thought, but the voice was high-pitched, as some guys may have. I looked at the person and the shorts s/he was wearing looked more of feminine variety but not obviously so. When the person left I saw a face that could belong to either sex, chest rather flat so I still don't know what it was and I don't really care.
    GeorgeA
    formerly Salerba

"a miad" Man-in-a-Dress

Hi Susan
    I do have red hair and frequent Edinburgh city centre quite a lot.
    I can say however it was not me.
    I don't get many looks at all and even less comments, So I just go about my business the same way as any other woman would.

Quote Originally Posted by Tracii G View Post
    Whats the distinction as far as area when you say highlands and midlands?
    Is there a lowlands ?
    Hi Tracii.

You will get a lot of differing answers as to where the highlands begin.
    Most will probably say it starts around Perth and goes north. South of Perth is the Central region then leading t what generally known as the central belt between Glasgow and Edinburgh(Lowlands)

We don't have a midlands in Scotland but the UK does have.
    Shelly

Super Moderator....How to tell your partner......Abbreviations

Aspiring Member
    I wasn't really talking about safety - just reactions. The Highlands are at the north of Scotland where people are supposed to be uptight. Clearly they are not. The Highland boundary runs from Helensburgh on the Clyde to Stonehaven near Aberdeen. South of that is the "Central Belt" where the main cities of Glasgow and Edinburgh are located and we don't use TLA (two letter acronyms) for them.

I don't want to say where the places were in case the people involved are on here and the one in the village might be hurt to learn that they stand out as looking very male. So even of you look male you can seemingly wear a dress in small communities without people even noticing - or if they do notice (as I did) - no reaction. No glares or stares and no muttering or whispering.
    Last edited by Di; 07-27-2019 at 06:14 AM. Reason: Per the rules/ taking the Religion comment out

Stands to reason, tbh.
    I noticed, after coming to terms with being a CD, I was hyper alert to those with an ambiguous presentation, including when my wife complimented a young woman on her hair I ly to be met with a very masculine 'thanks'. (I do hope she didn't think she'd been clocked. We totally didn't know til she spoke)
    But then in reflection I realised how little I'd paid attention until I myself identified as a CD. If it didn't hit my radar before why should it hit other peoples'?

Having said that I'm still waiting on the 'Hall pass' from Wifeling before I ever venture out en femme.

Its nice to hear Scotland is becoming more accepting! I was born and spent most of my childhood in Scotland (Troon) and I am a UK/US Citizen. Growing up in Scotland I could never have imagined coming out as Trans due to how unaccepting people were of the LGBT community at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Jodie_Lynn View Post
    It's been my experience, out & about, that most people really don't care. They are more worried about their own selves & lives to pay much attention.

Too many CD folk spend far more time worrying about the muggles, than is warranted. For the most part.
    I too, think you are right Jodie. I dress in my own house and property all I wish, but mostly go into town in girls jeans, a nice flowery shirt and not much makeup-just mebbe foundation. It's AAAAAmazing how much better I feel with just foundation on. Anyway, unless one is trying to be way flamboyant, I do think most people are too wrapped up in their own lives to care very much. Kids on the other hand, no matter how well behaved will tend to point and stare....

Susan, like yourself Im in the highlands. I havent gone out openly during the day only late at night. So far Ive never had any bad reaction from anyone Ive come across but in conversation with any of the people Ive worked with over the last forty odd years Ive heard nothing but derogatry remarks about crossdressers. I really would like to get out more but at the moment circumstances dont really allow it

Banned Read only
    Susan,
    It looks like I need to make another visit north of the border and check it out , I've only been once to visit some friends in Kinloss .

The first CDer I ever saw in reality was many years ago in a general store in Hawkeshead in the Lake Disrtict she looked very acceptable but very nervous if only she could have seen how little people were taking notice around her , I so wanted to chat to her but I was back of the check out line and she was long gone before I left the shop .