So i have always been a supporter of gatekeeping, i know many view it as bad but honestly what i seen this week is a perfect example of why it is so important.

So i am a nurse that works in a specialized unit at my local hospital.... and i am going to be vague to protect confidentiality... i had a patient admitted to me that honestly looks like Santa Clause but years ago he transitioned privately... in a manner that his family did not know.... he was on HRT and had GRS.... but for some reason he never did transition publicly. He remained living as a man but altered his body. When his breasts grew too large to hide he had surgery to have them removed. This is a failed transition..... and he kept it from his family...

But here he is suffering from a debilitating health issue and i will be discharging him shortly with his family being responsible for his personal care.... and they have no idea he has a vagina or did any of this stuff to himself....

So this is exactly one reason why gatekeeping is so imperative... this is why RLE is a must.... why full time means 110% of the time.... because one person did something he regretted and his family is about to get the shock of their life.....

They say regret is rare? I call BS as this is the first trans person i met since i started in healthcare a year ago....