Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: This is why gatekeeping is important

That may be but I don’t think they are actually independent things

When you say treat me the same “except for”. That is THE can of worms.

Except for insurance? How about except for someone obviously not in good health? Or except for a person with mental issues? Or except for a person with autism. Or except for a person (fill in blank).

The people that perform these services are compensated. They can be sued
    They have committed significant time and resources to be able to perform these services

It is not some kind of sacred right to have surgery performed on you.

I have been around the block on this stuff. I have seen a lot. Including people that transitioned.detransitomed and transitioned again.

Crap happens. I come down 100 percent that there should be people that help us all and those
    People should have some way to judge whether a person is a good candidate and work with us to give us
    The best chance for the best quality of life
    I am real

Banned Read only
    Kaitlyn,
    Within the NHS it's possibly better defined .

In my talk to a group of NHS delgates I made the point that the various departments have to scramble for their budgets , another of my group had made the point about the long waiting times to start hormones , so I continued my point by saying we aren't priority , we are not at the top of the NHS list of priorities . Some life giving drugs are in short supply or not available at all through budget restrictions , sometimes we must accept to persevere with the help of counselling to give these people the best chance to live normal lives , dysphoria is manageable unlike some medical situations .

That’s not what I’m talking about

It’s not a competition with cancer
    It’s not the doctors. Meds or therapists

Care for trans people is available.

Plus we have every right to fight for our care
    Every right to demand good care and I do not agree
    That gender dysphoria is “manageable” except for some people
    And I will speculate for those people it isn’t as bad as others

I’m talking about standards that get us the best care
    And I’m my opinion the best care includes some rules and some sensible checks and balances
    To help us avoid poor or desperate decisions. Those types of bad decisions hurt the person
    And it hurts all of us
    I am real

Banned Read only
    Kaitlyn,
    I'm not disputing care is available but it still has to questionable in the UK if the best standards are met within the NHS , I know this is not a debate about our system but it does have an impact on the level of care when budgets are shared out . OK we have the choice if we have the money to find private clinics but the same guidelines and gatekeeping if you like are still in place . I'm afraid it's a fact of life that our waiting lists are getting longer so counselling and therapy have to be a stop gap , some care has to be available . It's also obvious we can fight all we like for the best care but if the money isn't available then it's a fruitless battle .

At the end of the day the case you descibed are always going to happen , they will slip through the net no matter how good the guidelines appear to be . You work in the medical profession so I'm sure you've seen other examples .

This thread has seem to run its course. Debates between individual members need to be done by private message.

This thread is closed.