Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Are CD support groups dying off?

Aspiring Member sarah_hillcrest's Avatar
    When I first started CDing I read about Tri-Ess, seemed more like the mob then a support group, like they were engaging in illegal activity. Come to think of it when Tr-Ess was setup CDing may have still been illegal.

Here's my take on this, at 40 years old I may be one of the younger members of this group, at least on the young side.

CDing is being replaced with TG, I'm certain it would be much easier to find a TG support group than CD.

Has DocRobSherry said most young people aren't nearly as interested in the glamorous style that is the norm here. For them gender expression is more about pronouns. The T-boys wear binders, jeans and a T-shirt, the T-girls where makeup, jeans, and a T-shirt.

I have to think there is a big difference in the mindset of kids who grew up with the internet and those who didn't. They've grown up knowing about things that I didn't know about until I was 20-40, hell they know things I still don't know. Drag queens, to Asexual Gender Fluid people, it's not that big of a deal to them.
    Last edited by sarah_hillcrest; 07-31-2019 at 11:06 AM.

Utah, north of West Jordan, south of North Salt Lake & west of South Salt Lake
    I've seen several groups fall apart over the last 20 or so years. Some because they were too exclusive in their membership expectations, some because of internal politics and others just ran out of steam because there were a growing number of mainstream options that were much more interesting.

We still have a Tri-Ess group here in the Salt Lake City area and we are doing all we can to keep it running. Our membership has matured both in age and in where most of us are as we embrace our identities more honestly. So we have had to create local changes to membership so those in transition can be members and hold office while not meeting the expectations of the national group. We've had their support for many years and don't want to turn our backs on the organization that remains a foundation for a much different group than it was initially.

The main reasons we try to keep the group going is to provide support for current members who don't have the flexibility to get out otherwise. We also serve as an entry point to a much more extensive network of groups and support for those who don't see Tri-Ess as their end goal which is a lot of people these days. However, it's pretty common for someone to fight their Trans nature for years and still go through the family and career building phases before having to deal with the fact that they want to crossdress and need social contacts who understand and support them. While there are a lot of people who grow up accustomed to being open with a gender identity that isn't considered "mainstream", there are still a lot of others still in the closet.

There is still a place for groups like this and we will continue to try and stick around as long as we can.
    Sarah
    Being transgender isn't a lifestyle choice. How you deal with it is.

Silver Member
    It sure wouldn't surprise me to know they're in decline. Because I think its easier to publicly crossdress these days, those who do it don't feel as much need for support. Ever notice how the majority of members here are over 50? We grew up in a time when the biggest taboo of all was for a man to exhibit even the slightest hint of femininity, and it resonates to this day in the internalized fears that diminish only with real experience. Younger people who want to dress just do it and don't worry about getting hassled or needig support.

Silver Member
    Transsexual support has largely pushed out crossdresser support. In the trans community (the TV/TS community as it was called) back 20-30 years ago, crossdressers made up the bulk of people in a given support group, around my parts it was 60-70% crossdressers. Wow, have times changed. I am not exactly why this is. I do feel a bit like an outlier in trans world nowadays. I feel fortunate to have a local support group that is doing well, even though I am the only crossdresser out of 20 people who regularly attend.

Trans support groups (TV and TS) have been on the decline since the mid/late 2000s. They seemed to hit their apex in the late 1990s with the advent of the commercial Internet, and then started declining with the rise of social media. We had some in upstate that had been around for 30-50 years that went bust in the mid 2000s. I was involved with Tri-Ess many, many years ago. While many had mixed experiences with them, all of mine were largely positive. I think it is sad to see them a shriveled husk of their former selves, I am surprised they are even still around.

Sarah, I too noticed the younger folks are not interested in fancy dressing like us older folks (well, at least us middle aged and up.) The younger folks in my group find my interest in heels and hose and dressing up fancy in a ball gown or a ladies skirt suit to be rather odd. I know a few young M2F who don't even own a skirt.
    Last edited by Vickie_CDTV; 08-05-2019 at 02:51 AM.

I am a returning member of the Atlanta, GA CD Group (150 hours away). I now also occasionally visit the Nashville T-Vals (100 miles away).

The thing that I notice is that all group and Team activities are all declining. Withe internet the younger people have no need for real face to face contact nor person to person interaction.
    So my question is, How do we reacquire the need for groups/Teams?
    Leslie Mary Shy
    Remember this:
    You do not have to be a man to love a woman, or be a woman to love women's clothes on her or yourself.

Banned Read only
    Well Leslie all we can do is go back in time and do something to stop forums like this from coming into existence and put the breaks on every bit of progress made towards public acceptance.

Frankly I refuse to go back in the closet, seeking around, and hiding from the world. I would rather spend every day alone in public than hiding in a meeting room with a handful others. At least I would be living life instead of hiding from it.

I am not belittling the group, just the nature of the youth of today do not seem to really understand the concept of teams and working together. We are trained to work as groups and teams. Nor do they seem to want to learn.
    Leslie Mary Shy
    Remember this:
    You do not have to be a man to love a woman, or be a woman to love women's clothes on her or yourself.

Banned Read only
    It's not that they don't want groups, they don't need them.

Senior Member Read only Allison Chaynes's Avatar
    Leslie, for me personally, I'm 40 and would like a group to meet. I would feel better about going out as a group until I feel more confident in presentation. Thought about trying that Nashville group.
    Life is too short to be boring.

It would seem that Crossdressinggroups
    Have pretty much phased out which is a real shame .
    I don't " need " group , but would like to
    have a group of like minded friends to share this with
    I think the ideal group should be diverse
    Include ts tg cd tv and yes women
    All our sisters have a lot to teach us
    For me at least the Internet is simply not enough
    We need leaders to step foreward and make this happen

JAS

I think it’s fair to say that the groups are pretty much redundant for a growing number of people. Why have a static group when you can easily venture out into a dynamic public? The whole thing is massively unappealing. Now if those groups did fun things instead of...well, what do they do?

My problem is that I dislike being in a group of other CDs because it implies I need the safety of the group. And just because all of us crossdress doesn’t mean you’re the sort of person I want to spend time with. How can we campaign for acceptance if we roam in herds? It seems to suggest that we know we’re weird.

Banned Read only
    Angela there are groups that are social clubs, not support groups I am on the mailing list for The Emerald City Social Club (Seattle) and every week they do things like, karaoke, bowling, skating, dancing, besides the monthly meeting and potluck, and occasionally different or special events. Problem I have is everything at least publicly announced is on a weeknight and living 100+ miles from Seattle it makes it hard to go out on a Wednesday night. So I haven't been to any of their events but they must be having enough turn out to keep doing it.

Gay bars and Cross-dressing groups are less needed now that we are moving into the mainstream.

Gay and transgender persons can socialize out in the open today

Banned Read only
    Roberta,
    That's a bit of a rub !

I must admit all my social group meetings are on Fridays or Saturdays , at least it gives you the chance to stay over , a 100 mile mid-week trio does take some consideration , I'm sure our groups wouldn't work if they were held mid-week .