Thread: Brideshead revisted

Brideshead revisted

On a recent Sunday I went with my wonderful SO M to meet Gill, one of our friends from our group – Lynx Ladies, at Castle Howard in North Yorkshire which was used for both the famous TV series and also the 2008 film.

It is sunny so we start with coffees in the courtyard, I need to nip to the ladies then after going through the ticket office we walk through the walled garden down to the Atlas fountain, pausing to take some pictures in one of the arbours. There are plenty of people about, including families with grand parents, young couples pushing buggies, Japanese tourists.

Skirting the lake we saunter to the Temple of the Winds and admire the views.

Looping through the woods we reach the boathouse café, where we have lunch on the decking by the water. Neither visitors nor staff have paid us any attention. We head up the hill to the house.

At the top of the entrance stairs we are greeted by a guide who explains about the seven Dukes whose pictures hang above our heads. As she finishes she says “I think you are lovely, you are both lovely and brave and its wonderful” and hugs first me and then Gill, who I think is even more surprised than me. It left me with a warm glow.

We continue our tour and in each room the guides, all volunteers, are helpful, answering our questions and pointing out the highlights, and not showing any signs of recognition. A couple of them pop up in several rooms, I think because they are short staffed. One lady pushes the Christmas lights inside the house and it does sound quite magical (might make a good group outing Carole/ Teresa?). One younger chap is almost puppy like in his enthusiasm to tell us about the rooms he is covering.

We round off with tea and cakes outside another cafeteria, before saying our goodbyes. A lovely day out with our friend.

Thank you Helena, A very nice visit and very nice people you encountered. A perfect summer day to be enjoying your feminine self.

Helena, could that be your second home?
    I started life a lost man now I am a found woman

It good to hear you all had a lovely time Helena
    Shelly

Super Moderator....How to tell your partner......Abbreviations

Such places are ideal for dressing in lovely summer clothes and strolling round both inside and outside the stately homes. I went to one yesterday and had a lovely time. Best to wear flats as there can be quite a lot of walking and some of it on gravel paths which are unsuitable for heels. Wearing a midi or maxi summer dress in such elegant and peaceful surroundings is perfect.

Oh to be an English Rose Jane G's Avatar
    What a wonderful day. Castle Howard is a lovely place. My wife and I enjoyed and day there a few years back. Finishing with a Pimms and lemonade in the court yard. Great to read how execpting the guides are. Must get back there, as the Atlas fountain was being repaired during our visit and we would both love to see it flowing in full glorious splendor.
    Last edited by Jane G; 08-03-2019 at 01:36 AM.

Cheshire girl you have perfectly encapsulated why country houses are so good for us to visit and completely agree about wearing flats. Slightly changeable weather meant I couldn't go full on summer dress, that would have been "the cherry on top".

Jane, having not visited since I was a teenager I had forgotten how lovely it is.

Banned Read only
    Helena,
    It would have been lovely to join you , that was a nice thought .

I may have shown you a National Trust booklet titled , " Prejudice & Pride " , to celebrate the LGBTQ heritage , the Trust have totally embraced it , so it may explain why the guides were very user friendly but then you are all very approachable and friendly so maybe you shouldn't have been so surprised .

No, I don't recall you showing it to me Teresa but it would be interesting to see it. These weren't NT guides, Castle Howard is, I think, still in family hands. Not inconceivable that some also work at NT locations.

They light the house for Christmas and it sounds magical.

Silver Member
    Sounds like you had a wonderful time. I already love your wife for how kind she is to your feminine side. And I especially love the bit where the tour guide paid you the lovely compliment. I don't know about you, but it makes my whole week when it happens to me. I'm probably like you in the sense that I don't go around seeking such compliments. I just dress to make myself happy. But isn't it amazing when it happens. I was shopping recently when a woman walking in the opposite direction said to me as she passed "You look beautiful. Have a nice day." I was over the moon for the rest of the day.

Suzanne, we did and are planning where to go next. M is absolutely wonderful, loves all of me, supports and encourages and is very protective. I am beyond lucky to be with her.

Yes, what the guide said gave me a warm glow for days and makes me smile each time I think of it. It doesn't happen too often because like you I don't seek them out but it is real boost when it does.

Banned Spammer
    Between here and there but mostly here close to the donuts.
    What is a "nip to the ladies"?
    Sounds like you had a great time.
    I do like to go to historic places in my area enfemme which I have done with a few members here.

Tracii - visit the ladies restroom/ bathroom. What is near you historically?

Banned Spammer
    OK I was just curious I have never heard that term before.
    Lots of things in the state of Kentucky as far as historical places.
    Birth place of Abraham Lincoln for example but you could do a google search and come up with many.

Tracii. I have a lot of odd phrases. We also use "pop" to mean the same, such as "I'm just popping to the shop" . I did have a quick google, some interesting places. I must admit my knowledge of your state is severely lacking.

Banned Spammer
    Here is a nice B&B not far from me.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Helena,

I must admit visiting a stately home, a National Trust property or any touristic venue has been on my enfemme to-do list.

Ivisited Castle Howard (drab) not that long ago and it is truly lovely. We took two guided tours looking at different aspects of the grounds and gardens. Not sure if my confidence would stretch to doing that enfemme but on the day who knows?

Banned Read only
    Helen,
    It might be worth looking up the title I mentioned to Helena , my son in law works for the NT and the booklet was a little extra gift last Xmas from them . The NT has taken up the LGBTQ banner like many others not only because it's now an open government policy but also they want people through the turnstiles .

Sometime in the future we plan to visit a couple on my doorstep , Belvoir Castle and Belton House .
    Last edited by Teresa; 08-06-2019 at 06:43 AM.

Helen, I am genuinely surprised, you have your week's in the big cities, I would have thought a visit to a country house would be a walk in the park (every pun intended). Being serious I suppose it may be harder to "be lost in the crowd" and we all probably have places we are more comfortable in, look how worried I was riding on a tram in Nottingham a few months ago.

Having not been since I was a teenager I had forgotten how lovely it was.