Thread: Strange...

Strange...

I noticed since starting hormones, I am eating healthier! I have been having salads at lunch on my days off work! Decreased the number of "sweets", I have even gone to the dietician at my endo's office! I generally was on a "see food-eat it" diet! Now so much better! Also I have lost 4 pounds total and have kept it off! Just wondering if anyone else noticed this! Hugs Lana Mae
    Life is worth living!
    "Foxy lady! You look so good!!" Jimi Hendrix

It has nothing to do with hormones. It has everything to do with a heightened level of interest and concern for your weight, health, figure, etc., etc. Many people report struggles with maintaining their weight while on hormones because of a change in metabolism. So, just the opposite of what you attribute to hormones is usually the case. No one that I know who has transitioned and thin is that way because of hormones. They are that way because of less food.

As you know, I eat ridiculously healthy, most of the time. And I exercise regularly except for the temporary break I taking during my recovery. However, yesterday I made a blueberry pie like the one I made for Dr. MacPhee and some how is has learned my name. I am gonna make it shut up in a few minutes. I will diet tomorrow.

I started following a vegan diet right after re-starting HRT. I don't think it was a result of the hormones, but mainly a way to try and get my blood pressure and cholesterol under control since the meds alone were not sufficient. I also wanted to lose weight and hopefully not gain weight like I had done previously on HRT. I initially lost weight, and when my blood work was fine, went back to a more standard diet and maintained the weight loss. Move forward to March 2019, when I was diagnosed with Hurthle cell cancer of the thyroid, post thyroidectomy I have gained 30 pounds even with going back to a more plant based diet. I wish hormones were the magic pill that would make eating healthier effective for me. When I go see my Endo in October, depending on my weight status, I may talk to him about a referral to see a nutritionist at the VA.

I think it’s a sign of improved self-esteem, not directly related to the hormones but probably because you know you’re doing the right thing for yourself I say that because I’m not on hormones but since I accepted myself and have come out as TG I have started to look after myself a lot better, because I care and I feel I am worth looking after.

It seems quite normal to me that once you are actualized mentally and happy waking up that you would try and take more care of yourself physically.

Hormone changes change the way your whole system works because they and enzymes are what we are they preclude everything just like bacteria

I used to be a healthier eater but since hormones I enjoy a lot more salads, as well sweet things are no longer on my top priorities.
    Those are changes that are, in some sense, more understandable by in my case there was a whole shift on sex preference, a change in the way I consider more people and more forgive, just for mention so.e of the emotional changes...
    HRT 042018; Full time 032019
    Orchiectomy 062020; gender& name legal changed 102020
    Electrolysis face begins 082019, in genitals for GCS 062021
    Breast augmentation surgery 012022
    GCS 072022; BBL 022023; GCS revision 04203;END TRANSITION

My doctor advised that I would need to change my diet in order not to gain weight on HRT. That it changes your metabolism so that the body tries to store more as fat

Richelle

Change on diet

Richelle, that's completely truth.
    I don't know what your eating habits were but in my case I'd been for around 7 years on keto. At the beginning it was strict keto and went down from 220 to 158 pounds. After that was very easy to control my weight. I could eat some pasta, bread, sugar, etc. gain weight and go back to loose weigh in matter of days but since on HRT it doesn't work so easy
    I didn't mention that I exercise regurlaly and several weekends we do hiking camping where I lose weight but soon I gain it again.
    So now is thought to control weight.

Aspiring Member
    My weight has been stable for all the time on hormones (almost 20 months). But I always have to make choices what to eat. I eat almost everything but have to mindful of portions sizes. The main thing - we all go on hormones to see a better body - why won't you take care of it?

I had the same thing happen when I started getting serious about transitioning. I took it to be a case of caring more about myself now that I was getting to be who I am full time. I had no connection to the guy in the mirror and didn't consider it my job to keep him alive. Once I started seeing me in the mirror, I decided it was time to take care of her to help her live a happy life. The more you do feel happy, the more you want to feel happy.
    I am not a woman; I don't want to be a woman; I don't want to be mistaken for a woman.
    I am not a man; I don't want to be a man; I don't want to be mistaken for a man.
    I am a transgender person. And I'm still figuring out what that means.

Jeri Ann: I really did not feel there was a co-relation between hormones and eating but did find it strange that I was eating healthier all of a sudden! Maybe I just love me and want to be around a little longer or on a different tangent it may be the diabetes thing! It could also be that your healthy eating rubbed off on me! LOL Anyway I hope you enjoyed your pie!
    Mira: So far, knock on wood, my cholesterol and blood pressure meds are working ! I am trying to lose a little at a time and keep the weight off! Thyroid problems often cause weight problems! Yes, see a nutritionist! I saw the dietician and it helped a lot!
    Eemz: Yes, something like that! LOL
    Jentay: I think you are correct there!
    DD Top: Sex hormones do not though, effect the way we eat!
    Devi: You have to watch depression as it can be a cause of over eating! So be happy! LOL
    Richelle: Well, I wish I could get some on my hips and butt! LOL
    Devi: I am very casual about it but wish to lose a few more pounds!
    Katya: Yes, exactly, portion control will allow you to eat anything as long as the portions are right!
    Pat: Yes, Lana Mae is coming out more and more! I will most likely always be a plus size girl but I don't mind as long as I am happy! It is hard to lose a 44" chest!
    Thanks ladies for your replies!
    Hugs Lana Mae
    Last edited by Lana Mae; 08-12-2019 at 06:13 PM.
    Life is worth living!
    "Foxy lady! You look so good!!" Jimi Hendrix

Lana Mae, thanks for your answer but I don't understood the part about depression. I'm lucky om not suffer a iut that but I recognize that in a time ago, when couldn't see opportunities for changes towards live as a woman I could eat without control to pacify myself but that lasted nothing, soon Jones helped me a lot to stabilize my mood for the expectations if real changes and new opportunities to be myself.