Thread: Season of Change

Season of Change

So this fall is going to bring about much change in my life. As I have noted in an earlier post, in September my name finally reaches the front of the waiting list for gender reassignment surgery. At that time they will also shave my Adam's Apple. Recently I received a phone call informing me that I now had a date for breast augmentation surgery as well, that being in early November. So its going to be a bit of a tough ride for a while but by the New Year I can look forward to finally just living as my true self without these major surgeries still to deal with. I may ultimately still see about some facial feminization surgery but that is still not really on the horizon as of yet. I will consult with a surgeon in September and see how affordable it will be because this is something I'd have to pay for myself.

Utah, north of West Jordan, south of North Salt Lake & west of South Salt Lake
    Best of luck as you continue your journey. Stay healthy so you recover from your surgeries quickly and fully.
    Sarah
    Being transgender isn't a lifestyle choice. How you deal with it is.

Aspiring Member
    HI Sara,
    I have been here long enough to remember when you came in terms with who you are, and your first day at work as Sara. You always were methodical and thoughtful about it and everything worked out in the end. As you get close to these next steps - I wish you good luck and you are in my thoughts.
    Katya

Congratulations. You are starting Big at the very beginning. Good for you. I get my BA at the end of September and then FFS in January next year. Not sure about the Big One due to complications caused by other nearby surgeries. This is a fun, frustrating and interesting ride isn't it??

How wonderful for you!!! All the best on all those surgeries and have full recoveries with awesome results! Be sure to keep us posted as you go along on your journey! Hugs Lana Mae
    Life is worth living!
    "Foxy lady! You look so good!!" Jimi Hendrix

Silver Member
    Hi, Sara from beautiful Victoria. I went back and reread all of your posts. What a journey you are having. I'll bet September can't come soon enough!
    Good luck to your journey's end, fair damsel.

Thank you all for your kind words and wishes. They are greatly appreciated. Katya you and I have both visited this site for a long time if you still recall the days when I was still struggling to come to terms with who I was and even the day over two years ago - my first day working as Sara. I appreciate your confidence in my, what you call methodical and thoughtful, approach to moving forward in my journey. Allie, it just worked out that way, it was really a function of which waitlist I would get to the front of faster. I am not unhappy about getting the GRS behind me because its major surgery compared to the BA. Good to get it behind me. Jenny, wow you must have been terribly bored to re-read my posts from years past. You are right though it has been an exciting journey so far and to be honest it has been a much better journey to date than I had ever anticipated in my wildest dreams. Now my biggest regret is waiting this long to start the journey.

One more day and then, for the first time in over three years, I will not be able to take hormones. I am dreading that. Not because I fear a change in my moods or anything like that, as I did not have mood swings when starting hormones but it has just been so comforting to know I had estrogen flowing in my veins and the testosterone levels were virtually zero. Now until the surgery and for an unspecified time after I am not permitted them. That will be difficult. I have been thrilled with the changes the hormones have made to my body as well as my mind. I just hope that my body does not begin the process to revert back to its old self.

Aspiring Member
    Hi Sara,
    Considering the changes took years when you started with hormones, I can't imagine that weeks on even a month or two will really set you back much. Your concern is valid but think about the positive.
    Hugs,
    Katya

Sara dear, please do not worry about body changes from the pause in HRT. They just do not happen from the three week break in hormones. However, you will have an amazing,awesome body change from the GRS surgery! I wish you all the best!

Hello Sara,

Like you I had some worries and reservations about coming off HRT prior to my GRS. However, I can reassure you all will be well and once have undergone surgery and you are back on your regular HRT? All will soon become a worry that just disappears into your journey history.

Best wishes for the future;

Janice

Hey Sara,

You will be fine without HRT for a few weeks. I took a break from HRT for four weeks for BS and FFS and five weeks for GRS. I have never experienced mood alterations beginning HRT or taking breaks. I do not know personally know of anyone who has.

It is right to feel good about having the correct hormone in your body. But, don’t worry about any reversal when you stop for a while. It simply will not happen. What might happen, it did in my case, is hot flashes. I had been on HRT for so long that My body went into a menopausal phase. Of course, I’m a hundred years old.

I am six weeks post op and doing well after GRS. Recovery is slow. The worse part is not being able to sit for all those weeks. Today I am going to get in my car and drive. That is, if the battery has not gone dead. Lol. So, you should be in good shape for your BA.

It takes a few weeks to be comfortable after BA. You just can’t do much with your arms for a while. By Christmas you will be fine, not completely healed, but fine. Many years ago a member here, who has since moved on, stated that she noticed changes for a year after her surgeries. By Christmas your breast will not yet be in their permanent position (they are intentionally placed high to begin with) but they will finally be yours.

It is a tough road that you are on. Be strong and good luck.

Thank you Katya, Dorit and Janice for all your positive comments and support. I am sure you are all right about nothing really changing in three weeks. Just over a week into those three weeks I feel no different and have noticed no differences. My arms, chest and legs have not suddenly sprouted a whole lot of dark ugly hair. Jeri Ann thank you for sharing your experience as you went through this . I know that its a very personal thing and many really don't feel like talking about it once they've been there and done that. I am really happy to hear that you are doing well after your GRS surgery and yes I expect the recovery to be slow. I am on my last two days of work and I will have three months off to get through this before returning to work. I am just under two weeks until my first surgery date, the GRS. I will then have just under two months to recover and be ready for the BA surgery in early November. Back to work at the beginning of December. That said, I never look too far ahead, take it one day at a time and one obstacle at a time. That way I never see a mountain in front of me but a small rise. I am ready though for this surgery and wish the day was here already. Anyways, thanks to you all for the encouraging and positive comments.

Well, I am back from Montreal after what can easily be defined as the most intense eight days of my life. The surgeon, Dr. Brassard and the staff are all amazing. They have the entire procedure and convalescence down to a pretty exact science. I met some incredible women who were having their procedures at the same time. I am so glad that I went but am equally glad to be back home and on my way to getting back fully onto my feet. Now I have until November to try and recover as best as possible before the second procedure in November. Thankfully that is local and I will not have to go anywhere far from home.

Sounds like it went well for you, Sara. Happy to hear that.
    Calling bigotry an "opinion" is like calling arsenic a "flavor".

Hi Sara, happy to hear that surgery went well for you. For me it was the most important step that I took in transitioning. I remember waking up from surgery and feeling very happy and relieved that I had accomplished my goal of GRS.

I hope that your recovery goes well for you and that you do not face any major problems.

Have you resumed HRT? I resumed hormone injections about a week after surgery.

I wish you all the best in the future.

Grace

Best wishes for a fast and full recovery! So happy for you! Gentle hugs Lana Mae
    Life is worth living!
    "Foxy lady! You look so good!!" Jimi Hendrix

Hey Sara,

Yes, the first eight days is intense. I had the best imaginable care during that time. I am glad it went well for you. Best wishes for the best recovery. and a bright future.
    Last edited by Jeri Ann; 09-26-2019 at 08:51 AM.

Congratulations Sara! For me GRS began a second transition. I wish an easy recovery, to say speedy would be giving a false hope!

Well I think its time for yet another, perhaps a final, update on my medical transition. I had the breast augmentation surgery yesterday morning and was back home by 11 AM. Unlike the GRS, where I had to travel to Montreal, and remain for almost two weeks, yesterdays procedure was at a hospital only 15 minutes from my home. In the morning, around 7 AM, I was dropped off by my son and as mentioned was back home by 11 AM. Everything went very well, or so I am told, during surgery and the level of pain and discomfort is quite manageable. I was on pain killers yesterday but have not taken anything since last night and am not expecting to have to take any more medication today. Am not a fan of any kind of medication so use them only when really necessary. Now the countdown is on. I have three weeks to recover from both surgeries before its back to work. I am not expecting that to be a problem. I feel that if I had to I could already go back to work this week. Thankfully, at least as it pertains to these surgeries, I have a desk job so no heavy lifting or anything like that involved in my work.

Aspiring Member
    Hi Sarah,
    That's amazing that it is almost like "in and out" procedure. I always imagi e hospital stays, recoveries etc. I can't recall, did you do FFS in the past as well?

Congratulations Sarah. I had my BA on September 25 and am doing really well. The pain after I stopped hydrocodone has been minimal but very consistent. I still have a low level; burning type sensation across the top of my breasts and in the skin between them. The doctor said it is because when stretching the skin for the implants the nerves also get stretched and traumatized and it will take a while to heal from that. I also have no feeling on both breasts around the nipple and down to the below the breasts incisions points. I am more worried about that. I get to massage them several times a day, the nipple gets harder, but I feel nothing. Bummer!! I hope you avoid all these issues.