Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Finally electrolysis!

Finally electrolysis!

I had my first electrolysis session.
    Some backup a guy me before so you can see if my experience would apply to you:

Most of the hair in my face is white except in the middle of the chin and down about the neck, the upperlip is really black.
    I was plucking for almost 2 years the upper lip. I know outch! But it wasn't so bad. I did it in phases from up going down in several days, after 2 weeks I saw new hair growing again but thinner and now, it wasn't the same pain it discomfort to plucked it out.
    One month ago I was approved by health insurance for 2 weekly hours for a year.
    Last Monday I had the first session.
    Pic #1 same morning before electro, 1A in between electrolysis, third after with a healing cream, #2 next morning before shave and #3 after shaving.
    #5, 2 days after before 2nd session and after.

Even thought it's been just two sessions and it's the beginning and if you see redness and swallowing now I feel more confident.
    It needs some concealer and makeup and I look better.
    Last week with wife we went to a Ulta beauty to buy some stuff for her hair and a cosmetologist did a skin match concealer and I like it.

In a comment I post a pic of the "final product" with make up after 2 sessions.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    HRT 042018; Full time 032019
    Orchiectomy 062020; gender& name legal changed 102020
    Electrolysis face begins 082019, in genitals for GCS 062021
    Breast augmentation surgery 012022
    GCS 072022; BBL 022023; GCS revision 04203;END TRANSITION

The final product:

Devi,
    You look great and are very brave. I've been putting this off for too long, but I hear it's painful and I'm a wuss.
    How long between treatments and how long did your hair need to grow before having another session?
    Jinny

Yay!! That's great Devi. It has made a big difference to me, I feel like I'm doing something positive for myself every week and it's worth the temporary discomfort. I wouldn't have thought that the upper lip area had such an effect but I don't worry so much about beard shadow any more. My next session is tomorrow.

@jinny yes it hurts, but it's totally worth it. Take <your favorite brand of> painkillers beforehand.

I like to be pretty Joanne Curl's Avatar
    Devi, thank you for the pictures-they’re very revealing. As I always say, every picture you post is better than the last. You’re well on the way to being your authentic self. I love following your progress.
    Last edited by Joanne Curl; 08-08-2019 at 09:25 AM. Reason: Spell check screw up

Thanks for your comments.

You all are very nice and the reason for posting is to help others to get the courage and pursuit their happiness and real you...

Quote Originally Posted by Luv2bGirly View Post
    Devi,
    You look great and are very brave. I've been putting this off for too long, but I hear it's painful and I'm a wuss.
    How long between treatments and how long did your hair need to grow before having another session?
    Before answer you I need to add something about pain.
    I was referred my PCP to this Trans wellnes center in Cathedral city, they have technicians, therapists and doctors there. It was a long drive from home to them to do the initial evaluation and submit for approval again to insurance. At the same time they prescribed a cream with lidocaine and other "caine" fornthe pain.
    They told me to use on the area to treat 45 minutes before and keep it wet, do not let it dry, so while driving to Murrieta, 35 minutes from home, I was reapplying cream to the upper lip.
    There was immediately a numbness sensation as when you go to the dentist.
    There was a tolerable while electricity is applied to "boil" the folicle.

Before the second session I read the cream instructions and says apply o e hour before. I did it and keep wet and there was minimum pain.

They approved 90 sessions. I was referred to a near home location.
    I'm not clear yet how many weeks but we'll be doing 2 weekly hours. If it's not fully done, I have to request more sessions.

To start this has given en me an extra feeling of confide ce. Less concealer is needed and being there between just women, because is a salon with around 30 suites for differe.t hair, nails, etc treatments, I used the restroom for finish shaving and make up before leavi g to work as an Uber driver and everybody was nice. I say this because interactions with health workers is always nice but with women, no trans, that are there for different reasons could be difficult but everybody was nice.

Pain is not a big deal. I recommend to everybody to do it.

Aspiring Member
    HI Devi,
    I never heard of Insurance covering the electrolysis. I believe you are in the US. What Insurance do you have and what did you have to do to get the approval? Could you choose the electrologist?
    I am about 110 hours in on my face and 25 on a chest. After first few full clearances, I stopped taking Ibuprofen and can tolerate the pain without. My Insurance covers all the hormones and bloodwork but I never even looked at the coverage for electrolysis.
    Katya

[SIZE=1]- - - Updated - - -[/SIZE]

P.S. I was told the national average is about 200 hours to clear facial hair completely.

[SIZE=1]- - - Updated - - -[/SIZE]

At this point, my cheeks are clean. Some hair occasionally in side burns, upper lip has been recleared like 15 times and still more growing. Neck is the last major thing we are working on now.

Katya,
    I didn't know either that the insurance would cover it. I don't remember exactly how I knew. I think I was looking for a local electrologist and came for details about what health insurer cover and found it.
    My insurance is local. IEHP for inland empire health program. It's one of the options we can use when approved by Medical (medicine or Medicare from California)
    You need to be under some levels of poverty.
    I'm happy because I'd never had to pay a copayment or deductible for anything, includes medicine, exams, labs, surgeries, mental and physical therapy, etc.
    What I did need for the electro approval was the referral letter from my PCP and my therapist, that is an amazing guy and transgender as well, and to had been in HRT for at least a year.
    Last edited by Devi SM; 08-09-2019 at 12:21 AM. Reason: Spelling

Silver Member
    The upper lip usually takes the longest to finish, the hair on the upper lip will keep coming and coming and coming. I had mine cleared about 25 times and I still have some hair there and some shadow (but my beard is an extreme one and my case isn't typical; still it finishes last for most.) Cheeks finish first and are very easy to do for both the operator and client.

If one can do long and costly initial clearances of the whole beard upfront the job will finish faster. If time is of the essence and spending a lot of money upfront is not an issue it is the best way to go, but this is obviously not for everyone.
    Last edited by Vickie_CDTV; 08-08-2019 at 11:17 PM.

Thanks vickie for your comment.
    Technician told me that the easiest part for me will be the upper lip, because I was doing plucking (which some people recommend me to stop it not do it) I was more tolerant with the pain and the follicles were weaker than other areas but it would take at least a year to finish the face with sessions if 2 hours weekly, so 104 hours but it eventually would need to redo some parts.

We'll see. I'll try to keep all you posted of the progress.

Quote Originally Posted by Devi SM View Post
    Thanks vickie for your comment.
    Technician told me that the easiest part for me will be the upper lip, because I was doing plucking (which some people recommend me to stop it not do it) I was more tolerant with the pain and the follicles were weaker than other areas but it would take at least a year to finish the face with sessions if 2 hours weekly, so 104 hours but it eventually would need to redo some parts.

We'll see.
    Indeed we shall. I defer to your tech's experience and knowledge, but I am here to tell you that the upper lip is unbelievably sensitive. Even with the strongest topical anesthetic preparation available, it was all I could do to get through that first round in that area. Good luck to you.
    Calling bigotry an "opinion" is like calling arsenic a "flavor".

Thanks for your comments Aunt Kelly, as you can see in the original post, she had worked just the upper lip, for my request. She worked one hour each side and told me that's "ping pong" leaving some hair a for next session so skin doesn't irritate too much.
    This coming Friday she will "end" with the upper lip and continue around the mouth, to the chin and under a toyal session of 2 hours. I'll post pics after that.
    I know, she told me, that for some people is needed several sessions, in my case, she said with 3 or 4 in the upper lip will be enought.
    Regarding pain, one of the reasons on my post is to clarify that did help had been plucking the upper lip and with the cream applied one hour before the pain is minimum.
    I know the past because last time she worked and are where I didn't applied the cream and the pain, even was bearable but really strong and longer.
    So far this is my experience.
    At the bottom of the day, for me worths because just with 2 session my confidence change. Have you heard about placebos and nocebos?

People vary a lot. I had my chest waxed once and it nearly killed me. Other people do it all the time. On the other hand I've had several 1 hour electrolysis sessions on my lip, no numbing cream, and I found that OK. Don't get me wrong; it's unpleasant and I'm damn glad when the session is over. But I go back every week, whereas I'll never wax my chest again. Anyway. My point is - people vary.

Ok, today third session. No upperlip but down and chin.
    I confirm my post that had being plucking the upperlip helped to make thinner hair regrow and tolerate more the pain.
    Today there were thick hairs and the pain was bigger. I found that while trying to do pictures I get distracted and forgot the pain.
    So here 3 pics.

Keep posting, Devi! Very informative! How long for the swelling and redness to go down?
    Too much mascara is almost enough.

Contact me on MeWe mewe.com/i/maceyg

Distraction is good. I basically talk non-stop right through the session and it helps take my mind off it. The poor electrolysis technicians know my life story by now.

Quote Originally Posted by Macey View Post
    Keep posting, Devi! Very informative! How long for the swelling and redness to go down?
    Macey, it's 7.30 PM. Session today ended at 11 am so 8 and a half hours after.
    The general redness dissapear around day 4 after but the second day is unnoticeable for most people that could see me without make up that's at night at home or some weekends.
    Judge by yourself.
    Last edited by Devi SM; 08-17-2019 at 11:20 PM.

Macey,
    Today is Sunday morning and this is how it look.
    You can see a lot of red/yellow spots after like scars. They will dissapear around day 6.
    No problem shaving on them though.
    Last edited by Devi SM; 08-18-2019 at 05:46 PM.

Six days? That seems long for the red marks, no?

Macey, I can't tell you if 6 days is too long because it's the first time with a bigger area. The first two sessions she worked smaller areas upper lip.
    Btw, health insurer doesn't pay in sessions 2 hours done before the week has passed, so that, for me, means it's the time for healing before working on the same area again.
    I could do more hours per week if I pay by my own but the time to heal is the same but e everybody is different. I guess the flhealing is faster in younger people
    I'm 60 on september.
    So far I'm satisfied with the advance it would be good to have pics and references from someone else but ot just a mere opinion.

Silver Member
    The red spots in of themselves are not terrible, though the connecting red spots are a little concerning (it could, potentially, result in scarring, not normally but connecting red spots should be avoided.) Would be better for her to work on a different area of the face, and once the original area is healed go back to it then. I wouldn't work on the area with the red spots until the red spots fully clear up. Or, instead of a whole first clearance of a given area, thin it out first, then come back a couple weeks later. It would help avoid the connecting red dots.

As you continue treatment, see if the spots should occur less often and get smaller.

Quote Originally Posted by Vickie_CDTV View Post
    The red spots in of themselves are not terrible, though the connecting red spots are a little concerning (it could, potentially, result in scarring, not normally but connecting red spots should be avoided.) Would be better for her to work on a different area of the face, and once the original area is healed go back to it then. I wouldn't work on the area with the red spots until the red spots fully clear up. Or, instead of a whole first clearance of a given area, thin it out first, then come back a couple weeks later. It would help avoid the connecting red dots.

As you continue treatment, see if the spots should occur less often and get smaller.
    Thanks Vickie for your conncerns.
    Have you gotten electrolysis? What's your experience on it?

I.dont think I could go and tell a certified electrologist, approved by a health insurer to do her job, how to do her job even is my face. For me is like go to a surgery and tell the surgeon how to do the procedure.

Anyway, I post a picture of the same area treated last Friday, under the mouth and chin as well a pic from the upperlip that was treated two fridays ago.

Exactly what you say regarding don't work the same are too soon is what she said, so didn't touch the upperlip, for sure
    This week she won't work on the last week area but upperlip.

I've been chatting Devi about this, and I had a session myself today so I thought I'd contribute some pictures to her thread. Today was 1.25 hours, all on the top lip. But we've been over that area a couple of times already and the first "assault" on each hair is the toughest so it's not too bad at this stage and doesn't hurt quite as much.

The first is me just outside the door of the place. I hadn't shaved for two days in preparation; they need a bit of growth to work with. The red mark on the right hand side was an ingrown hair that they had to dig out.

20190824_122252.jpg

Then maybe an hour later at home after shaving, antiseptic cream and moisturizer.

20190824_143643.jpg

I don't know if it's clear here - the redness has gone down but my top lip is a bit swollen, especially right under my nose which is the most sensitive part.

Looking good, Eemz. How many hours have you been through?

Silver Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Devi SM View Post
    Thanks Vickie for your conncerns.
    Have you gotten electrolysis? What's your experience on it?

I.dont think I could go and tell a certified electrologist, approved by a health insurer to do her job, how to do her job even is my face. For me is like go to a surgery and tell the surgeon how to do the procedure.
    I am an electrologist myself.

I wouldn't tell her how to do it of course. But if one is ever concerned,you have a right to tell her to thin out (not clear) an area, or work on a given area and not another.