Thread: Crossed Camping

Aspiring Member sarah_hillcrest's Avatar

Crossed Camping

I often take an end of summer trip, either alone or with my wife. This year she has some medical issues that are preventing her from really enjoying travelling and if I'm going it's going to be alone. Now I'm stuck contemplating how much crossdressing I want to do and dealing with the complications of a female appearance while roughing it, because this will be tent camping.

Yeah, I can afford a motel room, but I don't feel right taking a luxurious, 80 dollar a night, trip without my wife, and I just got this awesome tent anyway.

So my mind is wound up tighter then a pocketwatch trying to figure out what to do. I'm going to be comfortably far enough away from home but I'm nervous. I'm fine with driving, getting gas, and going through drive-throughs but I'm hesitant to check into a campground in girl mode with an ID that doesn't come close to matching.

Of course the easy thing is just to get dressed and hang round the campfire at night. Driving home pretty and maybe stopping to shop seems fun, but why is making me so nervous?

You make some good comments both pro and con.

I like your idea about taking things easy, dress after your there around the campfire at night and drive home pretty.

Bring enough so that if you want to go further with your dressing you can.

That should solve your problem.

Silver Member
    Sarah, if your wife has some medical issues that she can't travel, they must be a bit serious. If I were in your heels, I'd stay home and care for her, giving her a vacation from household duties. She's done sooooo much for you.

Platinum Member
    The only motels in my area at $80/night are "hooker motels!" No way, luxurious! I think the part that may be making you nervous is sitting around a camp fire alone en femme. If you're alone and encounter some hostility from family campers or cretins what is your exit strategy?

Quote Originally Posted by Jenny22 View Post
    Sarah, if your wife has some medical issues that she can't travel, they must be a bit serious. If I were in your heels, I'd stay home and care for her, giving her a vacation from household duties. She's done sooooo much for you.
    It's chronic pain she's been dealing with for nearly two years that makes extended time in a car or extended time on her feet bad, she's actually going to be working and is encouraging me to go.

[SIZE=1]- - - Updated - - -[/SIZE]

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie47 View Post
    The only motels in my area at $80/night are "hooker motels!" No way, luxurious! I think the part that may be making you nervous is sitting around a camp fire alone en femme. If you're alone and encounter some hostility from family campers or cretins what is your exit strategy?
    Yes hopefully you detected my sarcasm. We tend to travel cheap, and we have stayed in some nice places for less then 80. I wouldn't expect hostitlity from campers just for sitting around in the evening in a dress reading a book, but if I did encounter hostility I have no clue what I'd do.

Also camping this weekend till Tuesday and have packed pretty much all woman's clothing. But most are not overly obvious. I did pack some skirts, cami's, and swimsuits. But sounds like Sunday thru Tuesday will be raining.

Banned Read only
    Camping is easy, sure you probably won't be running around in sun dresses until after the camp is set up. But until then jeans and.... Wait for it.... A camp shirt of course

As for your ID being a GM when you are presenting female, nobody cares. In Washington most of the clubs In ID at the door and even I in my 50's have to show ID, nobody has ever said anything about it.
    Last edited by Robertacd; 08-10-2019 at 01:15 PM.

Its really not a big deal.

Try this. Go as a TG person wearing womens clothes.

There is no need to explain yourself to anyone.

Simply just be yourself.

And remember something one of my friends (GG)told me " if you are going to dress like a lady then act like one".

Banned Spammer
    Between here and there but mostly here close to the donuts.
    Just be yourself.
    The only one worried about how you dress is you.
    Last year I went camping with a guy friend and some other people a few campsites over came by to say hi and retrieve their doberman puppy which I was playing with at the time.
    Their kids came too and we sat around the campfire chatting.
    The husband asked if we were married ( I think just being nice not wanting let on to his kids know there was a tranny around) and I said no sadly I can't get him to commit and laughed.
    His wife laughed and said just like a man huh?
    I am sure they read me but being nice folks they probably just thought we were a gay couple.
    Last edited by Tracii G; 08-09-2019 at 02:39 PM.

Great story Tracii G.
    I’ve done the camp out at a local lake 2 times by my self in female mode. Both were good experiences..it was mid to late Autumn which I prefer as it’s usually too hot to go in summer...the 2nd time, I was sitting by the campfire when a truck drove through the area...bunch of guys looking for some friends that were supposed to be about where I was......that made me a little nervous, but nothing came of it. I admit that I kept thinking about what to do if they came back around...I’m not sure I’ll do it again...who knows. It was a very freeing experience being totally out in the open being Kristine.

Banned Read only
    More about your ID worries. I have yet to see anyone except maybe Drag Queens that don't still look like themselves with make up and maybe a wig on.

I never heard any stories here about anyone's ID being rejected because the picture or gender presentation didn't match
    Last edited by Robertacd; 08-10-2019 at 10:18 PM.

My wife and I are on our fifth big trip in our Airstream. We are camping in the Rockies in Colorado at Colorado state parks.

My attire on our trips usually is a pair of jeans or shorts, underdressing and a fishing shirt. this year I've discovered those very light weigh fabric shorts that are almost like a nylon cord. I like the length.

On previous trips I followed the rule of three... women's shorts, panties and a man's shirt. I usually wear.... yes, camp shirts.

The led lights in the trailer are so bright that my wife asked me if I had any colored panties to use as a shade. Of course I did.

No one has ever said anything to me.

I did that a few years ago when camping an hiking in Zion National Park in October. It was a lot of fun and even though in a general community that is not real receptive to such behavior there were no problems. Even ran into another one of us when I went into town for a restaurant meal one night. She and her wife were from the Netherlands and we all had dinner together and had a wonderful evening comparing our cultures. Hiking was a problem with a wig because even in October Zion can be HOT. Ten very joyous days. Go for it.

There's that smile! CarlaWestin's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sarah_hillcrest View Post
    ..................my mind is wound up tighter then a pocketwatch trying to figure out what to do..................but why is making me so nervous?
    It's the typical pre-event jitters. I'm at the last couple of days of nine days off and I've come to the conclusion that I just can't fret about not trying on every outfit or not experiencing every adventure.
    I've waited so long for this time. Makeup is so frustrating. Shaking hands and I look so old. This was a mistake.
    My new maid's outfit is cute. Sure fits tight.
    And then I step into the bedroom and in the mirror, I see a beautiful woman looking back at me.
    Smile, Honey! You look fabulous!

This thread made me chuckle a little . . .or things that make you go hmmmm....
    So if you are CD camping, do you go the full route for the experience, and do the female tree squat to relieve yourself?
    My wife and daughters got very good at this! And, you want to be authentic ya know ) - Annie

Quote Originally Posted by AnnieMac View Post
    So if you are CD camping, do you go the full route for the experience, and do the female tree squat to relieve yourself?
    My wife and daughters got very good at this! And, you want to be authentic ya know ) - Annie
    Actually yes I do.

I have gone camping/hiking a few times all done up. The shaving is the hard part, that and sweating under the wig, but it's all worth it to be the more authentic me. I love the capris tights with a racer back top!

Albuquerque, NM (SE of there in mountain foothills)
    Be careful while camping cross-dressed. A teen was just attacked by a bear while sleeping in SE Utah. The second of the season in this state alone.

A friend of mine leaves his campsites throughout the US West vulnerable overnights. Dirty dishes best left for morning attention in good light and after the evening flow of wine has worn off?

Not sure of the motive... let any critters have their way with the camp kitchen and supplies and leave the sleeping human(s) alone? Dunno.

Banned Spammer
    You always hang any food items or trash up high so the critters don't take it.
    In the winter we leave the fire burning because it keeps the animals away.

Hey, thanks for all the good advice everyone. Sadly I didn't get to read much of it since I had already left.

So this was a very interesting trip, I learned alot, and I didn't like everything I learned.

A day before leaving I was talking to an online friend who is closet TG. I told them about my weekend camping plans and she told me she was going camping as well, it turns out we were camping not far from each other, but I was planning Friday night and they were planning Saturday. They were going to a group camp with a bunch of alternative people at a private campground. I told them I couldn't and wouldn't camp there, but she swore up and down it was totally safe and talked me into dropping by dressed because these were the least judgmental people on Earth and no one cares.

So I leave Friday, not dressed, stop at a few places on the drive, have a great ride, do a little shopping and arrive at the State Park where I'm staying. That evening I dressed in my capri overalls, put on my forms and wig and walked around the campground. It was nice but kind of lame since it was dark enough that no one could really see much of me anyway. I took a short walk on path to a covered bridge and took a few pictures.

Saturday morning its more exploring and outdoors stuff but not dressed. In the afternoon I do my makeup in the tent, and decide to wear the bib overalls again a cute shirt. My experience when driving through campgrounds is that people are all sitting in front of their camp site and looking at everyone who goes by. I don't think a single person looked at me.

So it isn't long I arrive at the Alternative camp. People are really friendly, and no one could care less. I talked to lots of interesting people, probably close to half male/female genetically but far more skirts, dresses, and tutus, then pants. My clothing choice was rather conservative. Seemed like most of the people there were trans, ages ranged from 20s to 60s, lots of food and games. When people asked my name my brain would freeze. Telling them Sarah just didn't feel right, I stammer and say "I like the name Sarah" or something.

I talked with one ftm about Judeaism and they tried to convert me, another about how to make the perfect potato salad. I talked to a mtf who was a Japanese Scholar, another who was a geologist who floored me with their knowledge, but there was little to no talk about anything the least bit weird.

Soon the younger people were running around having a watergun fight and of course I had to join in, then it was horseshoes, then it was toss the football around. That's when I got a wakeup call. I was running to catch a ball thrown too high, I jumped to catch it and pulled a calf muscle, it was some intense pain and left me limping. I knew I needed to leave soon anyway and I had a strong feeling that things would get really weird as it got closer to dark.

Shortly into my drive home I looked into the rearview mirror and saw what I was wearing. I had forgotten. I was stunned after a hot day outside and a watergun fight my makeup looked about like it did 7 hours ago. I had planned on stopping on the way home to try shopping dressed, but I was limping and it was painful. Still I stopped at one beautiful county courthouse, got out of my car and walked around a little bit and took a couple pictures, it was a super busy. I did have to get gas and go the restroom and I no one even looked at me.

I took a few pics on the drive home and after looking them over I'm just left feeling kind of let down. I may have felt like I looked decent, but the pictures prove otherwise. I may have felt like I was young and energetic, but now I can barely walk. Still I guess I'm experiencing life the way most people don't, but sometimes I just wish I was most people.

Banned Spammer
    Some events you can't wait for and think all kinds of things but after its like OK was that it? Really?
    Some groups of "alternative" people are full of all kinds of people so I have found trans issues aren't always the topic of discussion and its just everyday things.
    Other groups are really strange people in general.LOL
    Last edited by Tracii G; 08-11-2019 at 12:16 PM.