Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: At birth

An armchair appraisal of the responses here leads to some interesting, if unscientific conclusions. Some of us felt different from the time we learned their was a difference. Others, not until puberty or much later. Of course, this gets us no closer to understanding the genesis of our tendencies, but it does seem to suggest that they are different. Maybe some researcher will take up that line of inquiry.

I always felt so different than other boys, even in kindergarten, and was picked on and bullied all through schools/

Oh to be an English Rose Jane G's Avatar
    Well for sure you are born who you are. But society can effect who we are to a huge extent too. The problems occur, when who we are, and who we think we should be, based on our society piers, differs.

It's always here for me and I'm glad it does.
    Angie

Some are born crossdressers, some achieve crossdressing, and others have crossdressing thrust upon them. The biggest problem with the 'born this way' hypothesis, is that we all want it to be the answer, so we simply declare that it is.
    After all, if we are all born this way, none of us, or anyone else, is responsible for our often intense desire to behave and dress as females, and our electing to indulge in doing so. We can just claim it's not our fault.
    Because we are men. We are always strong. We can always resist the desire to embrace anything feminine, because we have been brought up to believe that being feminine is the worst thing we can ever be.
    And that's a whole lot of responsibility to dump on a boy....and then a man.
    So we just avoid it by 'oh, I was born this way', and explain away the very late onset by declaring that it was just a dormant gene.
    Right.
    I'm not buying it, because I can't be the only crossdresser on earth who's figured out how it happened to myself. There are probably approximately, oh, about 80 million of us on this planet. And you're telling me they were all born this way.
    Nope. Not buying it.
    Some causes of crossdressing you've probably never even considered: My TG biography at:http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/...=1#post1490560
    There's an addendum at post # 82 on that thread, too. It's about a ten minute read.
    Why don't we understand our desire to dress, behave and feel like a girl? Because from childhood, boys are told that the worst possible thing we can be, is a sissy. This feeling is so ingrained into our psyche, that we will suppress any thoughts that connect us to being or wanting to be feminine, even to the point of creating separate personalities to assign those female feelings into.

Platinum Member
    I gave up trying to figure it all out. The only hypothesis I heard that makes some sense to me was told to me by a psychologist/counselor who I see for war related PTSD. She is of the opinion each person, male or female, has some dna of the opposite sex within them. It is stronger in some than others. It does make some sense. Wouldn't it cover those who are born male or female but born into the wrong physical body? Or gradation of cross dressing? For some to be able to suppress the urge to emulate a woman, and, others to succumb to the urge?

I did not want to be a woman. I never have. When I was in kindergarten my teacher complimented my cowboy shirt, but, called it a blouse. I adamantly proclaimed it "is a shirt." I did not have a sister, female cousins, or female playmates. There was one girl my age who I thought was an annoyance. I got into a lot of trouble as a little kid. This cross dressing "thing" did not start until puberty. Why would a guy ever want to wear his mother's clothing and risk all the negativity associated with it? Going against societal norms and expectations never made sense. But, there I was wearing my mother's bra, girdle, panty and stockings with lipstick smeared on my face. Go figure.

There is also the possibility there may be an imprint of a past life experience. I never put any serious thought into it until my wife brought up the subject while watching a television series about little kids remember and describing past lives. She thinks it may be possible if not probable. From what I have read the vast majority of little kids forget or out grown these memories.

My counselor for war related PTSD issues is amazed at the detail and clarity I remember about my Viet Nam combat mental triggers. She says it is exceptional and way out of the norm. Some may say the repetition ingrains it in the mind. Anyway, when I was a little kid we moved from my paternal grandmother's big Victorian home to an apartment. I started to have visions of myself as a woman who had been strangled to death in a muddy parking lot. The woman was wearing not dress but had on a white slip. That image has been stuck in my mind since then. The first article of female clothing that drew my attention was my mother's white full slips which she hanged to dry in the apartment hallway. Every time she hanged them to dry I would fondle them because I loved the feel of the nylon. Ultimately I got the nerve to go further and further.

I don't think this past lives issue is so far fetched as it seems. When my wife and I are watching "America's Got Talent" many times there is a very young girl with a little kids goofy voice who breaks out into a voice totally out of character and many years older than her age. It's like they are almost in a trance or in a world unto themselves.

Try to figure out why we do what we do or why a person proclaims to be other than the birth sex. It's incomprehensible. In the 13th century I probably would have been burned at the stake as a witch!

Banned Read only
    Lexi,
    I assume you're commenting on CDers without dysphoria .

Being born with the trait isn't an excuse to crossdress to me it's far more , the outer shell or appearance is a window to how I feel inside . We are men in varying degrees , like many I've lived most of my life trying to prove to myself and others something that's not true , I'm now being honest with myself and others .

Whether you buy it or not my life is now balanced , I'm much happier and comfortable in my own skin which is something I didn't totally feel when I was expected to be a man .

I don't object to you making these statements but please be more precise who they are referring to , OK this is the open CDing section but there is a wide cross section of members who use it .

I don't know about genetics or the causes of being transgender, but I know that I've always been female despite having male body parts. What amuses me is people who ask "when did you realize you were different?" Half the world is female. I'm not different. I'm a plain ordinary woman. I wish more people understood that.