Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Advice on what to do

I say go for it. Like others said work is work. Just remember at the end of the pay period they give you a check and not a bill. After all you might be buying lots of things

Senior Member Read only Allison Chaynes's Avatar
    Ascena owns Dressbarn, along with Lane Bryant, Catherine's and Maurice's. I worked at a LB for a couple months in 2013 (and also VF Outlet for 2 years, on a sort of related note). You won't have a problem with being allowed to work as Steffi, just know that customers aren't subject to the same corporate policies and you must be professional at all times however you present.

I did not, ever, present any semblance of Allison in any retail job, but I had two coworkers I trusted that knew.
    Life is too short to be boring.

Aspiring Member
    Even if they close after a while it could still be a fun experience and you can make a few $$. Just work it out with your wife first. And no matter what happens be professional at all times. No exceptions. Have fun!! Sherrii

Banned Read only
    Steffi,
    It's a lovely opportunity but if you are in a stable marriage I would think twice . Being accepted as a TG employee is wonderful but not at the possible expense of your marriage .

If there was an opening in the back room that might be OK but then I don't think this is your main objective , unless it's a need to bring in some extra income .

Do it you could dress at the store so your wife would not have to see it.
    Angie

Steffi,
    It sounds like an amazing opportunity and i know that any job at all is tempting when you have been out of work for a time, but as Meghan pointed out it's important that your wife is ok with this otherwise it could be disastrous. I guess it depends on how her feelings about your CDing balance against the opportunity for you to make a good wage.
    "The only way is onward. There is no turning back."

I submitted an application today.

I have not yet discussed this with my wife. As someone said, it is a "labor relations issue".

I don't see that I should discuss the labor relations issue with my wife, at least until I get asked to come in for an interview.

I am an engineer by training and vocation, and have no relevant fashion or customer-facing experience. If I weren't a CD, I wouldn't know that a pump was a type of shoe, not an electromechanical device for moving a fluid from one place to another.

Anyhow, wish me luck on the job application process, and ask a higher power to help me resolve the labor relations issue if it comes to that.

I'll keep you posted.
    Last edited by Sometimes Steffi; 08-20-2019 at 10:34 AM.
    Hi, I'm Steffi and I'm a crossdresser... And I accept and celebrate both sides of me. Or, maybe I'm gender fluid.

Silver Member
    I lkked Dress Barn and I have bought a few nice things from them. What has kept me from buying more is that they are a two hour drive from my home. It's a tragedy that they are shutting down, and it's just one example of many.

Who's killing it? Us, through online shopping. How many of us have said "I work too hard for my money to throw it away on high prices"? Well, those higher prices are putting food on someone else's table as well as making available to you and me the expert eye and opinion of the SAs. You actually get VERY good value for those extra few dollars, especially if it prevents you buying that so-so dress that doesn't quite fit right and ends up never getting worn. It happens all the time.

But I know I'm fighting a losing battle.

Steffi, Good luck with all aspects of this, I know you are going to do great!
    suzanne, You make some very good points!
    Crissy

Steffi, Off hand I would think you had a pretty good chance of getting the job from what you have told us, good luck!!
    I started life a lost man now I am a found woman

Today, I got a request to apply for a similar sales opening at the Lane Bryant a couple of stores up from Dressbarn. Maybe double my chances? The downside of Lane Bryant is that I'm too small to wear women's sizes.
    Hi, I'm Steffi and I'm a crossdresser... And I accept and celebrate both sides of me. Or, maybe I'm gender fluid.

Platinum Member
    Lane Bryant and Dressbarn are stores in the Ascena Retail Group which also includes Ann Taylor, Catherine's, LOFT, Justice, Cacique and Lou & Grey. Your application may be routed to more stores. I'd bet there is an employee discount within the corporate group of stores.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie47 View Post
    Your application may be routed to more stores. I'd bet there is an employee discount within the corporate group of stores.
    That would be a wonderful perk!
    Crissy

Senior Member Read only Allison Chaynes's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie47 View Post
    Lane Bryant and Dressbarn are stores in the Ascena Retail Group which also includes Ann Taylor, Catherine's, LOFT, Justice, Cacique and Lou & Grey. Your application may be routed to more stores. I'd bet there is an employee discount within the corporate group of stores.

There is. I forget how much, but there is.
    Life is too short to be boring.

I don't know enough about how fraught your marriage is, Steffi, but I take it as implicit in DADT that if you're dressed and she doesn't know what's the harm?

Extra income is a thing. And the experience alone, even if temporary should be grasped with both hands, IMHO.

Your wife does come first. But it sounds like she's made her position clear. Sounds like there might be wriggle room.

The conversation here has reminded me of my college days. I worked in the Out Mail department of Lane Bryant briefly. It was a great job really. But being young I felt I needed to follow the vocation that I was in college for and took a position elsewhere. Hindsight being 20/20 and had I only known....who knows how different life would have been.