Last night at my social meeting in the usual hotel I sat talking to another member in the open loung area . A family group sat round the next table , consisting of a two young children , parents and grandparents . One of our members walked by , I admit she has never been the best CDer in the World but she is a pleasant friendly kind of person . As she passed the family group I saw the grandmother lean forward to say something to the others and she then sat back looking at the CDer shaking her head and giggling behind her hand , more words were then spoken followed by more giggling . The grandmother then caught my eye realising I'd been watching all this , I just gave her a pleasant smile and she smiled back .

While I realise it wasn't openly a hostile reaction from them I thought after if I should have just gone over and said something to them ?

I know it comes back to the thorny question of passing or not but I couldn't help thinking not passing isn't funny ! The member concerned was dressed in a dress with flat shoes , makeup and wig , she was unaware of this situation and possibly didn't care but it could have been so different . I kept thinking the rest of the night if I'd defended her it would have been like defending the whole group .