Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Should I have defended her ?

Banned Read only

Should I have defended her ?

Last night at my social meeting in the usual hotel I sat talking to another member in the open loung area . A family group sat round the next table , consisting of a two young children , parents and grandparents . One of our members walked by , I admit she has never been the best CDer in the World but she is a pleasant friendly kind of person . As she passed the family group I saw the grandmother lean forward to say something to the others and she then sat back looking at the CDer shaking her head and giggling behind her hand , more words were then spoken followed by more giggling . The grandmother then caught my eye realising I'd been watching all this , I just gave her a pleasant smile and she smiled back .

While I realise it wasn't openly a hostile reaction from them I thought after if I should have just gone over and said something to them ?

I know it comes back to the thorny question of passing or not but I couldn't help thinking not passing isn't funny ! The member concerned was dressed in a dress with flat shoes , makeup and wig , she was unaware of this situation and possibly didn't care but it could have been so different . I kept thinking the rest of the night if I'd defended her it would have been like defending the whole group .

Aspiring Member
    It can be very difficult to change people's minds, especially when it comes to sexual orientation, CD's, etc. People are so in to themselves that they cannot understand that everyone may not be like them. I think you did the right thing, Teresa, by giving the woman a knowing smile. A picture can be worth a thousand words.

Teresa, I think just the smile when she saw you was enough, if someone from that group had openly said something then to me that would cross the line and most likely I would have had to say something. There is no reason to ruin a pleasant evening if you can avoid it.
    Crissy

Teresa, I think you did the right thing. Making a scene, especially with children present, would have been really bad and could have escalated. There is no telling how the other people would have reacted and it might have been embarrassing to the new arrival to your group. She might not have wanted that as it just accentuates the difficulties she may be having with improving her presentation. I might not have smiled but given them an eye roll, but nothing more than that. It all depends on the circumstances and exactly what happened. You were there; I wasn't; I trust your judgement and think you probably did the right thing.

Occasionally our group would go to a local diner for dinner then go out to the movies.
    One night there were about 10 of us there. As always the diner owner and staff treated us like royalty. We were seated at a large table in the back, in the open and very visible.
    This night there was a large family group seated at the tables in the middle of the floor. That formed 2 aisles that we had to use to access our tables. Two of the girls went to the restroom and the same thing happened, whispers, snickers, derisive looks.
    Another girl and I saw this and mentioned it to the others. 4 of us got up and purposely walked past these people, slow and deliberate. They began to do the same thing, Until ... we stopped at their tables and said hello. We asked how their meal and evening were, were they having a reunion. We introduced ourselves and told them we were off to the movies after dinner and wished them a wonderful evening. Then we continued past to the front of the diner. A bit later we returned, smiling again at the group and rejoined our sisters. The family was very quiet.
    As we left later we again smiled and wished them well. This time they smiled back and did the same.
    Maybe we changed a few attitudes, maybe not. But we didn't let them take advantage of us. We showed we are not what they thought, we are just human.
    I don't wear women's clothes, I wear MY clothes !

Cheryl, Good for you and your group, I think that was appropriate.
    Crissy

Restraint and decorum are often the best things to uitilise,Once I was out at a large store and close by was a family I heard sniggering going on and turned round and gave them a hard look and started to walk over to ask was there a problem, the thing i the whole family legged it out of the store! the result 1-0 to me!!
    I started life a lost man now I am a found woman

Teresa,

As others have said, saying something could have escalated the situation into something unpleasant. Not wishing to stereotype but you were dealing with someone of a certain generation. While I won't say you can't teach an old dog new tricks, what you'd be looking to do is change many decades of long held opinions. Opinions as we know, embedded throughout society for generations and only now changing for the better.

On one of my rare sorties out enfemme I'd stopped in an arts centre cafe for a light bite and a drink. As I was leaving a woman with 2 friends suddenly caught sight of me and in what was an instinctive reaction let out "Oh, look" loud enough so I heard. I paused very briefly, gave her the puzzled "really" look, smiled and continued on. I think she was definitely the more embarrassed of the two of us.

Cheryl's non confrontational approach is just how it should be done. It's very hard for most folks to respond aggressively to people who are just being polite. Folks will also not wish to comment afterwards as they know they hadn't the courage to do it there and then.
    Who dares wears Get in, get out without being noticed

Could you actually hear what was said?
    Could your friend?

Discretion is oftentimes the better part of valor, and had you confronted the muggles, you, your group, and the trans community in general would be seen in a negative light.
    Before you can love another, you must first like yourself

I Aim To Misbehave

Labels belong on BOXES, not PEOPLE!

I personally think you did the right thing. Being confrontational can turn ugly in a hurry.

Either smile politely, or say nothing and act as if nothing happened. Confrontation is almost always counterproductive. Many times allowing yourself to be seen as a gentle, kind person is enough. It may not change minds; but it at least may make a small difference in attitudes. Change is always incremental. Patience is the key.

Silver Member
    People can have their opinions. Barring a self defense situation, let it go. You won't convince them of anything, and you may escalate the situation. Especially when children are around.

Would it be worth saying something after all you can't fix stupid.
    Angie

Banned Read only
    If I had said or done anything it might have been on the same lines as Cheryl, I wouldn't have been confrontational . From my own experince I would say I'm politely on the offensive rather than the defensive , in other words I usually approach most people and break the ice in a friendly way . I prefer to show them what TG people are and what not they think we are .

I personally would have stayed out of it. You don’t know what was said or why they were giggling. Yes, it probably had something to do with the CDer given the situation, but you don’t know for sure. Best to stay out of it IMO.

Banned Read only
    Micki,
    I do know for sure as I watched it unfold , the grandmother was sitting almost facing me I didn't hear what was said but it was obvioulsy about the social group member . I don't think the lady realised I was part of the group at that time .

Quote Originally Posted by SheriM View Post
    People are so in to themselves that they cannot understand that everyone may not be like them.
    So true!

Some people aren't happy unless they're angry, complaining or criticizing others. It is difficult to change them so I try to avoid them.

Banned Spammer
    Between here and there but mostly here close to the donuts.
    Just your look was fine I think.
    No reason to escalate things in a public setting with kids around.

Banned Read only
    I would have at least given her the stink eye.

t_n.jpg

Platinum Member
    I think you did the correct thing, although it is difficult to judge whether the exchange of smiles on her part was perceived as concurrence with her disapproval or realization she was caught in a negative light. If she or someone in her group had vocalized disapproval, then I think it would have been proper to admonish the woman and provide a little education. It would be perfect for the television program, "What would you do?"

PS: I think the cartoon sums it up well.

Your response was perfect, Teresa. While the behavior at the other table was not overtly hostile, it wasn't exactly friendly. You, on the other hand, were. A smile can be disarming in the face of disapproval. If those others had an ounce of self-worth, they'd have realized that you had just out-classed them.
    Calling bigotry an "opinion" is like calling arsenic a "flavor".

Quote Originally Posted by Teresa View Post
    Micki,
    I do know for sure as I watched it unfold , the grandmother was sitting almost facing me I didn't hear what was said but it was obvioulsy about the social group member . I don't think the lady realised I was part of the group at that time .
    Exactly. You didn’t hear WHAT was said, so you don’t know exactly what they were laughing at. For all you know they were laughing because “Remember how awkward grandpa was when he first came out to us as a crossdresser?”

Perfect Teresa

With one look I am sure you suddenly conveyed that you had more class.

I am sure the grandmother was embarrassed as she was caught making a joke out of someones appearance.
    Shelly

Super Moderator....How to tell your partner......Abbreviations

It's their problem, not yours.
    Don't make it yours.
    You handled it fine
    joank
    Southern California

I agree with the others. You did the right thing.

The other part is that they saw people being people.

Their perception has been changed.