Thread: A memory .. and a great dress

A memory .. and a great dress

So, I had occasion to go back to a place I used to live, I was looking forward to visiting one place in particular that I had spent a lot of time and money at. It was a kitchy cool consignment shop in a suburb outside one of Florida’s big cities. I went in 3 or 4 times a month and I got to know the owner and the staff/SA’s well, well enough that the owner would let me go in an hour before opening and shop in private. I’d call her when I knew I would be off and setup a day and time. I’d go in, look through the racks, pick out things in my size and then go and try them on.

One of the SA’s and I developed a friendship, she was totally cool with crossdressers and liked to give me fashion advice and her opinion on what looked good on me and what I should stay away from. A couple of times she pointed me toward some of her dresses that she had on consignment, even commented that one of them looked better on me, much better than it ever had on her, of course I bought it. The owner would send me an email whenever they got items in that she knew I liked, and this was where I tried on my first wedding dress. She sent me an email and told me that she had a dress in that was my size and asked if I wanted to take a look at it – I emailed her back that yes, yes, I did, could we do a before opening shopping trip the next day. She emailed me back and said no problem, the SA I was friends with would see me at 9am. So, I called in sick to work and showed up just before 9, walked up to the door and knocked … my friend opened the door, let me in and there it was, an absolutely gorgeous wedding dress.

I told her I loved it and looked at every stitch and seam, felt the softness of the fabric and the daintiness of the lace. It was wonderful. I asked if I could try it on and she said of course, but the dress and me would not fit in the dressing room. The store didn’t have overly large dressing rooms like you would find at a bridal store, so she said I could just try it on right there in the showroom if I wanted to by the mirrors which were off to the side. She laughed and said I could treat it like a real wedding dress fitting, she would help me get into the dress. She had seen me in bra and panties before when I was in a dressing room , so, I pulled off my jeans and shirt and had a fabulous experience. Standing there in my bra and panties, then being helped into this beautiful dress. She buttoned up the back and helped me get the veil on then let me look at myself in the mirrors … I was speechless. It was amazing, the dress was just a little too big for me in the bust, so it puffed out a little, but I didn’t care, I was hooked. She helped me out of it and we looked at it some more, I was head over heels for the dress. She took me over to the racks and we found a strapless bra and a pair of white stockings to go with it. She asked me if I had a garter belt, yes I do at home, so I was set to go.

She put it back in the dress bag and put the stockings and bra in a bag and then went to ring me up. That’s when she told me even better news, the owner was going to sell me the dress for half off the price. The dress belonged to her niece and her niece just wanted it out of the closet. Being a consignment shop they didn’t usually have discounts, but she had told her niece she knew someone who was a great customer at the shop and would probably buy it. She had been asking $200, I got it for $100, I was thrilled.

That was a great memory and I was looking forward to seeing the shop and the owner again. So after my training was over I packed up and headed over to the shop … or I should say where the shop had been. It was gone, now it was a salon. I went and asked about the consignment shop and found out that they had closed about 6 years ago. Memories are all that’s left of the store, I still have the dress my friend said looked better on me than her, and that wedding dress is still hanging in my closet.

Heather,

What a story, wished I had read it earlier this month was in Orlando fro 5 days this month.

Does the wedding dress still fit.....

Davina

Platinum Member
    Nice story. Well done. Many years ago there was an independent women's dress shop in a nearby community. There was a small sign in the window indicating the store did have special hours by appointment only. That was a time period when there was very little acceptance of gay and lesbian rights, let alone cross dressers. I'm sure based on your writing skills you are a gentlemen, polite and courteous. I've been in stores where a male just entering the front door seemed to send chills up the spine of the proprietors. I often wondered what bad experiences they may have had with men buying women's clothing.

Wow Heather! I would love, love, love to wear a wedding dress...just for a few hours, after a makeover, of course. All that lace, and satin, oh my! Nancy

Quote Originally Posted by Davina2833 View Post
    Heather,

What a story, wished I had read it earlier this month was in Orlando fro 5 days this month.

Does the wedding dress still fit.....

Davina
    Hi Davina,

I can still get the dress on, but it doesn't fit like it used to, it's a little snug.
    I do however fill the bust portion out now, so I guess that's a positive.
    I have 2 others that fit me perfectly with their own stories to go along with them, but that one was my first and I still smile every time I see it.

[SIZE=1]- - - Updated - - -[/SIZE]

Quote Originally Posted by NancyJ View Post
    Wow Heather! I would love, love, love to wear a wedding dress...just for a few hours, after a makeover, of course. All that lace, and satin, oh my! Nancy
    Go for it Nancy - it's a truly unique experience. Call around to shops in your area and just ask, if you have a Davids Bridal in your area it's been my experience that they are fine with guys trying on/ buying the dresses.

[SIZE=1]- - - Updated - - -[/SIZE]

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie47 View Post
    Nice story. Well done. Many years ago there was an independent women's dress shop in a nearby community. There was a small sign in the window indicating the store did have special hours by appointment only. That was a time period when there was very little acceptance of gay and lesbian rights, let alone cross dressers. I'm sure based on your writing skills you are a gentlemen, polite and courteous. I've been in stores where a male just entering the front door seemed to send chills up the spine of the proprietors. I often wondered what bad experiences they may have had with men buying women's clothing.
    I know what you mean, and I have seen some folks that undoubtably make them cautious like that.
    I've been in a store before where another crossdresser was going over the top with their comments and actions, trying too hard, acting too girly and making everyone uncomfortable.
    If I know the staff in a store and there aren't many people in the store I will joke around with the SA's and have some fun but try to never do anything that wouldmake anyone feel weird.
    I've mentioned this before but, I had an SA tell me that as long as I acted normal, they would treat me normally. A red flag is a red flag pure and simple.

Aspiring Member
    In the UK we call them dress agencies. There is one in my nearest city that started out as an occasional add-on in a high-end boutique then it became a permanent part of the shop, now the two shops are separate. I am warmly welcomed in both shops whether dressed as a man or a woman. I have bought many outfits in both shops over the years and the owner has even suggested that I get dressed up and go shopping with her and her daughter (who often served in the shop) - I might take them up on it. Dress agencies are a way of getting very high class clothes for reasonable prices. This one also has new clothes that have failed to sell in the main shop, at greatly reduced prices. They have offered to open the shop outside hours for me, but I am happy to shop during normal hours.

Please don't take this as crass, but I was wondering, what will you with a wedding dress? Do you plan on getting married in it? I would love to try one on and take a few pics but it seems terribly impractical to own one.

It's not crass Ellie, no worry on that, it's a fair question.
    Will I wear it to get married in? No .. I have been married for 30 years and don't see another wedding in my future.
    In the big picture it is impractical, but, it was one of those things I wanted to try ... then HAD to have.
    I've purchased 2 more since then as well, I wear them from time to time, but otherwise, they hang in the closet next to my wife's wedding dress.
    Were they a waste of money? I suppose so, but, I can't take it with me so figure I'll get what I want when and while I can.

I never had the opportunity to try on a wedding dress but a couple of months ago I got my first bridesmaid dress and have enjoyed it very much(I'm in it for my avatar picture). Got my first forms at the same time so the dress is filled out properly. And i say it all the time that you cant take your money with you so i enjoy it now.