Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Help with Dressbarn job interview

I wish I had some advise other than the great advice that has already been posted but I can certainly wish you the best of luck and will be curious to see how you fare. And let us know where you wind up.,you might have brought a few new customers with you!

I've got my fingers crossed for you!! How exciting!

Confidence! make sure you have plenty of it, and ggod luck.
    I started life a lost man now I am a found woman

Platinum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AllieSF View Post
    If you plan to dress as a woman, I would tell them that you are transgender, not a cross dresser. Transgender carries more positive weight and external influences. They legally have to treat you correctly, respect and support you if they hire you.
    Micki Finn made the comment transgender men and women are not legally protected in all states. That's true. However, the Ascena retail group of which Dressbarn is a part, has a diversity and inclusion policy which covers LGTQ men and women. In many states corporate policies are more supportive of LGTQ folks than the state and local governments. I do agree if you intend to work wearing women's clothing then it is advisable to state that and present yourself at the interview as you intend to work. I thought this was what you were wanting to do when you first presented the idea on this forum.

The biggest hurdle I had in the past in job interviews was experience and education as it applies to the employer's needs. At many interviews my qualifications rightly gave the impression I would leave the job if another job more suitable to my skill set came along. Companies do not want to train an employee, and, then have the employee quit when a job in the employees field comes along. If it perceived it is your intention to jump ship at the first job offering in your engineering field chances are you will not get the job. If you state you're now retired as an engineer, then chances are greater to land a job.

Then it goes back to whether or not you are committed to wearing women's clothing on a daily basis.

I have a little experience in dealing with cis women as TG woman. The majority of the time, when the interaction is anything more than a "Thank you..Next?" kind of exchange, the ladies light up. If you're pleasant and helpful, and not nervous or otherwise creepy, that dynamic will work in your favor. Sure, there will be occasional curmudgeon who can't get past their fear, but they are a markedly small minority. Enthusiasm and a smile make the difference.

Stephanie - Yes, I intend to interview and work as a woman.
    Hi, I'm Steffi and I'm a crossdresser... And I accept and celebrate both sides of me. Or, maybe I'm gender fluid.

hi steff, i met you at keystone, just be yourself and answer the questions honestly as possible. you have a way to go with the flow from i read about from you here, dont try to be something your not.

you can expect them to ask what do you bring to the table, good work ethic, responsible, reliable....wont text "i quit" if you decide its not for you, i would not dwell on your dressing at all if you come dressed....at that point it will be 'it is what it is"

customer service is paramount.....still true today is the customer is always right, even when theyre not.
    sometimes they will ask you how you would handle a certain situation you may encounter in the store, "i dont know", and "let me find out about that" are not bad things.....no one likes its not my department....bring them over....its kinda like hosting someone in your house, make them feel welcome and special, its a lost art sometimes.

i wish you the best....
    ....Mykell
    i dressed like a girl and i liked it! crossdressing...theirs an app for that

Just be you and try to relax! Best wishes for your success! Hugs Lana Mae
    Life is worth living!
    "Foxy lady! You look so good!!" Jimi Hendrix

Thank you ladies for all your comments and advice, but don't feel you have to stop. There's still a lot more that I could learn.

Based on Allie's comments (above), I was considering what I should wear to the interview (if I get that far).

There's a small, local consignment store that I go to. I've gotten to know the owner and all the SAs pretty well. I shop and buy clothes there, and they let me try on the clothes I'm interested, just like any other girl. So, obviously, they've seen me both in male mode and en femme. I went to see them today to ask their opinion on what I should wear to the interview. I told the owner, "Someone has applied for a job at Dressbarn." You should have seen her smile as soon as she realized that the "someone" was me. Then I said, "What would a girl where to an interview at Dressbarn." She said, "You should wear a office work style dress, preferably one that I bought from Dressbarn." I asked her, "Would the pink floral one that I wore last week be a good choice?" She said, "Yes."

So, I have the outfit under control. I keep hoping that they will call me to arrange an interview.
    Hi, I'm Steffi and I'm a crossdresser... And I accept and celebrate both sides of me. Or, maybe I'm gender fluid.

Senior Member Read only Allison Chaynes's Avatar
    Steffi, I would observe what others there are wearing, and go similar. Wear styles and preferably products that your targeted store sells. Keep it professional, obviously. I would not recommend heels, as the job requires you to be on your feet all day.

Bonus perk: If DB is anything like Lane Bryant, they will periodically give you free items to wear, the idea being you can be informed when you sell customers on them.
    Life is too short to be boring.

Wishing you all the best

If you really want to impress at Dress Barn, wear clothes you got THERE.

I am very excited for you, Steffi, and I hope your wishes come true.

Quote Originally Posted by Allison Chaynes View Post
    Bonus perk: If DB is anything like Lane Bryant, they will periodically give you free items to wear, the idea being you can be informed when you sell customers on them.
    Same company. They’re both Ascena properties. Lane Bryant, Justice, Catherine’s, Ann Taylor, Dress Barn, all the same parent company.

In 'Dress for Success' it is suggested you dress as the boss is dressed (for the interview). As someone who as interviewed allot (male) and have been on interview panels allot (male), I suggest business look; skirt and blouse, low heels or dress flats, understated jewelry and makeup. Good Luck.
    joank
    Southern California

Quote Originally Posted by Bobbi46 View Post
    Confidence! make sure you have plenty of it, and ggod luck.
    This is very good positive advice, don’t over think it just be yourself and you will be fine.
    Crissy

Quote Originally Posted by Sometimes Steffi View Post
    Thank you ladies for all your comments and advice, but don't feel you have to stop. There's still a lot more that I could learn.

Based on Allie's comments (above), I was considering what I should wear to the interview (if I get that far).

There's a small, local consignment store that I go to. I've gotten to know the owner and all the SAs pretty well. I shop and buy clothes there, and they let me try on the clothes I'm interested, just like any other girl. So, obviously, they've seen me both in male mode and en femme. I went to see them today to ask their opinion on what I should wear to the interview. I told the owner, "Someone has applied for a job at Dressbarn." You should have seen her smile as soon as she realized that the "someone" was me. Then I said, "What would a girl where to an interview at Dressbarn." She said, "You should wear a office work style dress, preferably one that I bought from Dressbarn." I asked her, "Would the pink floral one that I wore last week be a good choice?" She said, "Yes."

So, I have the outfit under control. I keep hoping that they will call me to arrange an interview.
    Wait! What??? Was the irony of you asking the owner of a consignment store - which presumably is in direct competition with Dressbarn - what to wear for an interview for a job there not lost on you? A sales job where you might be selling clothes to women who might otherwise well have shopped at her store, thereby denying her said potential revenue to help keep on operating successfully (and we all know how much bricks-and-mortar retailers are suffering these days).

I'm surprised that she actually gave you fashion advice for this endeavor, rather than giving you the stink-eye and suggesting not-so-subtly that you might just want take you inquiries elsewhere (as in: "Sorry, I wish I could help you, it's just that I am sooooo busy at the moment...".

Then again, maybe she IS mischievously setting you up for failure by agreeing that a pink floral dress might be a good choice to wear to impress a future boss/store manager. When was the last time you saw an SA in a ladies' wear store wear a pink floral dress or the like? Usually the uniform of choice is various styles of pants, capris, or skinny jeans accessorized with a sweater of some sort or else a T-shirt embellished with a graphic...and let's not forget the tatts that seem to be de rigueur as well these days among the "woke" crowd.

The owner of the consignment store is more than just an SA; she's a friend. I think she was happy ro give me advice, and was very excited for me.

I'v bought a lot of dresses, skirts and blouses at Dressbarn. I happen to be a a floral kind of girl, and most of my floral dresses I got at Dressbarn. I thought it would be advantageous to dress in Dressbarn clothes at the interview. Floral is a bold choice, but I hope to use that as one of my discriminators. Dressbarn doesn't seem to stock may pants, capris, or skinny jeans. I think that a graphic embellished T shirt, would not be appropriate in a Dressbarn setting. As for tattoos, I have none and wouldn't plan to get any, although I might consider a temporary tattoo.

If it looks like they might make an offer, I would ask about the appropriate "dress code". Except for the tattoos, I can accomodate any of those dressing styles that you mentioned without additional shopping.

When I go for an engineering interview, I always wear a suit and tie. Even if I know that the company is business casual or maybe even grubby jeans, I'd prefer to be overdressed than underdressed.

Late breaking update: I have an interview scheduled with Lane Bryant (another brand owned by the same corporate entity). As you know, Lane Bryant only sells plus size clothes. My consignment store tops out at 14/XL, so it turns out that there wouldn't be any competition.

yep, best to be slightly over dressed than under dressed, but be careful because you can be too far over dressed too. You put yourself way about the person doing the interview. Retail ladies wear? A nice simple dress, something you might wear for work when you felt like dressing up a bit, and appropriate shoes too, flats or low heels, a bit on the dressy side, not tennis shoes!

I hired and fired for a few years, jeans and t-shirts were normal attire for the job. I had a guy show up in a suit and tie. I didn't hire him for other reasons, but I did let him know he was way overboard on clothing, nice jeans or Dockers and a nice polo or button up shirt would have been fine. I was probably wearing work boots, grubby jeans and a beat up shirt myself when I interviewed him. in that situation his attire made me uncomfortable.