Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Age appropriate

Age appropriate

There always seem to be a lot of comments about dressing age appropriate.

I think that age is just a number, and that I probably look maybe 10 to 15 years younger than my driver's license says I am. I might even look a few years younger than that wearing makeup. Maybe it's Maybelline!

So, why shouldn't I be able to dress age appropriate as if I was 10 to 15 years younger?

I'll even admit that I cheat. Sometimes I find something that I really like that I think looks really nice on me. That's when I throw out the age-appropriate book and just buy it. For me, there are only 3 hard rules: (1) Don't show too much leg, (2) Don't show too much boob, and don't show any midriff. Bathing suits might be an exception and np rules apply on Halloween, except near nudity.

Agree? Disagree?
    Hi, I'm Steffi and I'm a crossdresser... And I accept and celebrate both sides of me. Or, maybe I'm gender fluid.

I agree with your rules completely.
    As for age appropriate I feel that applies to your "perceived" age, not your chronological age. As with you, I feel that I appear 15 to 20 years younger than my actual age when I'm dolled up and makeup is a huge part of that. It's magical what the right makeup can do for a gal.
    I dress my apparent age, and maybe I cheat also from time to time. Luckily I still have the legs for shorter skirts so that's my go to area.
    I don't show a lot of cleavage and never any midriff unless it's in my bikini.

Besides, how boring would it be if everyone had to dress their age all the time??
    I don't wear women's clothes, I wear MY clothes !

Banned Read only
    Well if you can pull it off then go for it. I am in my 50 's and my hair is gray. So I look a little silly and rather sad dressing like a teenager.

Age Appropriate is for, this is where I must be careful!

When I do Drag my look is much older and beautiful, my day wear is much more flimsy with the younger look.

What ever fits us Steff!

Stace
    STOP, Well I just dance the way I feel
    Stop breathing imagine none of this is real

Well I just dance the way I feel
    "Ou Est Le Swimming Pool"

Quote Originally Posted by Robertacd View Post
    Well if you can pull it off then go for it. I am in my 50 's and my hair is gray. So I look a little silly and rather sad dressing like a teenager.
    My hair is mostly gone and I always wear a wig. So I can be whatever color I want, and sometimes I am brown, blond, auburn or red, depending on my mood.

As for looking like a teenager, no way. But, I think I can dress as a 40 something, as long as she is not trying to dress like a teenager.
    Hi, I'm Steffi and I'm a crossdresser... And I accept and celebrate both sides of me. Or, maybe I'm gender fluid.

It depends on whether you want to blend in or be noticed. It's each to their own....
    Personally i prefer to try and dress suitably for my age. I would be conspicuous enough as a miad, going out dressed for my age, but would be completely out of place dressed like a teenager.
    My wife's main request about my CDing is that i dress tastefully/appropriately, which i agree with completely.
    "The only way is onward. There is no turning back."

My wife has told me some of my items are too young for me and other things were too mature yet. I don't really care about age appropriate but do consider proper coverage / modesty

I think Krea said it best, whether you want to blend or not.

Are you dressing at home or going out?

Obviously, when you're at home GO WILD!

You have to decide this question for yourself.

As for me, I want to look like an average everyday woman. I definitely don't pass but I can wear what most women wear and be happy about it.

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar

Exclamation Totally disagree!

It has nothing to do with your age and everything to do with your figure and venue u plan to visit!

I have no interest in dressing to go to Denny's, a movie, or the mall.

But, I do often dress for T friendly clubs, bars, and events! Even tho I'm 76 I dress in 20/30's outfits. Why do I dress that young? Because I CAN!

Here's a photo of me at Hamburger Mary's beach party nite earlier this month!
    P1390702 (640x612).jpg
    Mods: I have permission to post the mermaids photo. She's a friend of mine.
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

I already look like a big, homely old man. Looking like a big, homely old woman wouldn't change anything.
    Some causes of crossdressing you've probably never even considered: My TG biography at:http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/...=1#post1490560
    There's an addendum at post # 82 on that thread, too. It's about a ten minute read.
    Why don't we understand our desire to dress, behave and feel like a girl? Because from childhood, boys are told that the worst possible thing we can be, is a sissy. This feeling is so ingrained into our psyche, that we will suppress any thoughts that connect us to being or wanting to be feminine, even to the point of creating separate personalities to assign those female feelings into.

Steffi,

"For me, there are only 3 hard rules: (1) Don't show too much leg, (2) Don't show too much boob, and don't show any midriff. "

For ladies of a more mature disposition, that's dressing in an age appropriate way. It doesn't mean you can't wear something with a splash of colour or everything has to be loosely fitted.

Everyone is free to choose whatever they want to be seen in but for me having seen GG's dressing in fashions that suit the super skinny teenager when they're figure is somewhat more fuller generally just makes them stand out for all the wrong reasons. Dressing fashionable and dressing well are often two different things.

A short while ago I was out (drab) dining with a group containing GG's many of whom were over 70. All were dressed stylishly in dresses and not too high heels, all looked attractive and certainly not like a bunch of dowdy pensioners. In fact when I first saw one of them it was from behind and not recognising them I wondered who the young lady was joining our group. She was 75 years young.
    Who dares wears Get in, get out without being noticed

Gold Member
    I do not care how much make-up I use, I still look like an 72 year old extra large woman.
    Cretin things can not be hidden.
    Rader

Aspiring Member
    I will agree that age is just a number.

I think, as others have suggested, it depends upon where you are going as well as other factors.

Makeup, a wig and other items can take years off your presentation. If you got it, flaunt it.

Just be sure you got it!

This is true for most everybody. Take a bit of time with your appearance and you look younger. I’m 47 but nobody ever guesses that I’m over 37 in either boy or girl mode. Look after your skin, keep your hair looking nice and keep as trim as you can. And most definitely wear clothes that you like. I completely agree with Steffi’s 3 dressing rules, they work well.

Banned Read only
    Steffi,
    I'm 68 and age appropriate clothes for me are far ranging , do I dress for my age ? Very difficult question to answer , I'm often taken for at least ten years younger so how different are clothes worn by a 50 + person compared with a 60+ person ? Being out full time does mean giving this some thought but it aslo means don't be stupid or make an obvious idiot of yourself or it does for me personally . I admit I don't feel comfortable with below the knee hemlines and I don't often wear flat shoes . I might be a grandfather but I certainly don't to look like and old grandma !

I look like I'm in my mid 40s than my midish 50s. If I went out in public dressed I would dress to blend as a woman in her mid 40s.
    I don't dress out in public so I can be any age I want and it would be appropriate.

Banned Spammer
    Between here and there but mostly here close to the donuts.
    I think make up works in our favor most of the time and takes 10 years off so why not dress 10 years younger?
    Last edited by Tracii G; 08-21-2019 at 03:32 PM.

I hate the phrase "Age Appropriate" because it is many times used by people who want others to dress like them and if you don't you will make me look bad too in the eyes of others. I always call BS on that statement. Be who you are, dress as you want and live with the results of your decisions and do not blame others here or the general public for your woes. Most of us have lived as males and we just learned how to live and deal with whatever issues came our way. So, having one of "us" dress in way that you do not like is just another one of those issues that we should deal with internally and not start blaming or setting guidelines for others on how they should live their lives.

Now, all that being said I really do like the way this thread is going regarding my dislikes. Thanks Steffi and others. I also am one to dress how I feel, dress like I am in my 40's, mix styles and lengths and blend very well with no real negative feedback over the last 12 years of going out into the real world. I still dress the same now that I am full time and have also changed some style choices over time, some regarding how I would look when wearing something now that has been in my closet for a long time. Goodwill is a regular recipient of my too short, too tight, and "this looks bad on me", donations.

Banned Spammer
    Between here and there but mostly here close to the donuts.
    Some feel the need to control how others do things and that is true for the CD/trans community.
    I don't like the matronly old woman look on me but on some it looks just fine.
    I'll be 67 in Sept and I have been told I don't look that old so why should I dress like an old person if I don't feel like one?

Age appropriate is a perfectly app expression relating to dressing and should be applied adequatly, for example would a 70 yr old crossdresser dressed in a leather mini skirt, fishnet tights a crop top and a bright blond wig blend in? no way so why dress to stand out. I dress in what is appropriate for me, in clothes that dont shout out "here I am look at me" but clothes that are sensible in colour and style.
    The last thing one wants is to be looked at because of what one is wearing and stands out in.
    Another side to the coin is dressing over ones age looks it goes both ways.
    I started life a lost man now I am a found woman

Resident Polymath MarinaTwelve200's Avatar
    I just turned 70, but then again I don't go out---and I can dress any way I want---I Do have a grey wig too and look more realistic in it, but still, I prefer my younger look.

Sure if you are 60 but look 30, you of course you can wear something “younger”. But there are a lot of girls who don’t seem to be aware that they LOOK like a 60-year old wearing their grandkids’ clothes.

Bobbi,

"so why dress to stand out."

Some are like you and others are like me. I liked to be noticed when I walk into a restaurant, bar or my local coffee shop. I am proud of who I am, I love myself and I do not really care so much what others may think. I dress very well and appropriate for the venue and me (my tastes), but I have also gone into the City for a night out and I wore an above the knee black leather skirt, black sheer pantyhose, black leather boots, and a form fitting V or scooped neck top (sometimes sparkly). I wanted to be noticed, looked and felt good to me and others (compliments), and had a wonderful time with no obvious strange looks nor comments (never). The only real person I want or need to please (no partner at the present - damn!) is myself, much less my friends and acquaintances and really zero for strangers.

For those of you who are less confident, by all means dress down if you need. You can still have a great time and enjoy yourself, the venue and the moment. You may eventually gain enough confidence (which is not courage, though it helps to overcome a lack of it) learn if you look good in it you can definitely find the moment to wear it and show it off, and then find that time to do it.

If I dressed my age it would probably be with high collars, high waist (not only old men hike their shorts or pants way above their bellies), loose slacks and comfortable drab shoes. That is not me on inside and I do not plan to die into old age. I am fortunate enough to be able to see that heavenly light at the end of my life's tunnel and realize that tomorrow morning is the first day to the rest of my life. I plan on living and enjoying life as best I can on my terms, not someone else's. We should all have this attitude. We would then see many sister's and brothers out there everyday doing their own things living life as it was meant to be lived.

Allie, there’s a difference between dressing well to stand out, and standing out because of how you’re dressed. An “above the knee” skirt and scoop-necked top wouldn’t be inappropriate for an older woman going clubbing and wanting to look sexy. A 6” micro-mini and leather bikini top would not be. Both will stand out, but for very different reasons. I think Bobbi was more addressing the latter.

Miki__Finn, Thank you that is exactly what I was trying to illustrate.
    I started life a lost man now I am a found woman