Thread: Donating your Femme things

Silver Member

Donating your Femme things

This isn't meant to hijack Holly Greene's thread on donating your CDing items , but I would like to offer some food for thought. Look up the executive salaries of the organizations you are considering.
    Next, consider donating to an organization's thrift shop that helps and supports battered women. You can find them on the web.

It's the one I donate to and shop at.

The proceeds go to the local womens shelter.

I don't like my women battered; the batter adds too many calories. I like them au natural.
    Last edited by sometimes_miss; 08-27-2019 at 10:32 PM.
    Some causes of crossdressing you've probably never even considered: My TG biography at:http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/...=1#post1490560
    There's an addendum at post # 82 on that thread, too. It's about a ten minute read.
    Why don't we understand our desire to dress, behave and feel like a girl? Because from childhood, boys are told that the worst possible thing we can be, is a sissy. This feeling is so ingrained into our psyche, that we will suppress any thoughts that connect us to being or wanting to be feminine, even to the point of creating separate personalities to assign those female feelings into.

I have donated all of my unwanted things to battered women’s shelters for a long time I usually go as Susie

Banned Spammer
    Between here and there but mostly here close to the donuts.
    Your choice of where you choose to donate is up to you.
    Remember any group that calls themselves a non profit most likely somebody is making money.

Almost all my donations go to Salvation Army because it is the closest to my house. But it is the last thrift shop I go to since they are the only ones that don't sort by size so it takes so much longer (and are on the higher end of prices too).

Platinum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tracii G View Post
    Your choice of where you choose to donate is up to you.
    Remember any group that calls themselves a non profit most likely somebody is making money.
    Not always true. I will agree Goodwill is a prime example of a non profit organization with bloated salaries for CEO's. My daughter while working for her master's decree worked for non-profits housing battered women, and, all of them were struggling for money to keep afloat. All the women and their children were destitute. If anyone has concerns their federal taxes returns (Form 990) will give a snapshot of its income and expenses (salaries, etc).

Personally, we have never donated clothing to Goodwill. Given the fact all the garments are of no cost to Goodwill the prices are way to high. That may not be true in all areas of the country, but, in my local area the Goodwill stores are operated as if they are profit motivated. Considering the high corporate salaries, I think they are.

Anyway, check out the battered women's shelters. Usually, they are in great need of women's clothing suitable for job interviews and work, i.e., dresses and skirts/blouses, and, clean and usable undergarments. Years ago at the home we donated there was a great need for plus size clothing.

I donate my unwanted items to my hair stylist and her 2 friends. We are similar to the same size. They have never turned anything down yet,

Jodi

Banned Spammer
    Between here and there but mostly here close to the donuts.
    I'll check the womens shelter here locally and see what they will accept.
    I'm not saying non profits are bad I am just very skeptical of them because business people do not do things for free.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie47 View Post
    Not always true. I will agree Goodwill is a prime example of a non profit organization with bloated salaries for CEO's. My daughter while working for her master's decree worked for non-profits housing battered women, and, all of them were struggling for money to keep afloat. All the women and their children were destitute. If anyone has concerns their federal taxes returns (Form 990) will give a snapshot of its income and expenses (salaries, etc).

Personally, we have never donated clothing to Goodwill. Given the fact all the garments are of no cost to Goodwill the prices are way to high. That may not be true in all areas of the country, but, in my local area the Goodwill stores are operated as if they are profit motivated. Considering the high corporate salaries, I think they are.

Anyway, check out the battered women's shelters. Usually, they are in great need of women's clothing suitable for job interviews and work, i.e., dresses and skirts/blouses, and, clean and usable undergarments. Years ago at the home we donated there was a great need for plus size clothing.
    I feel the same way about Value Village (Savers in the U.S.). Considering that virtually all of their merchandise is donated (i.e. $0 Cost of Goods), their prices are ridiculously high and have crept up relentlessly over the years...in some cases approaching brand new retail territory, or even above. I have seen cases of new merchandise e.g. pantyhose in sealed packages still bearing the original dollar store price tag with a higher-value Value Village sticker pasted right next to (and partially overlapping) it. How egregious is that?

Allegedly, Value Village works in tandem with a charitable foundation that funds diabetes research and passes the lion's share of its profits on to them, but frankly, I'm skeptical. I'm sure much of that is actually siphoned off to apply to other areas, including inflated management and executive salaries. To me, the best indicator of this is a short-lived policy that they introduced about a year or so ago which involved a points program whereby one received a 30% off discount coupon after amassing 100 points, the rate of exchange being 1 point for every dollar spent there. That program lasted about 6 months, after which it was abruptly cancelled with no real explanation offered. Presumably, that initiative hit their bottom line far more seriously than they had anticipated because of its popularity at the time. Then again, people probably jumped on it so enthusiastically because it helped mitigate Value Village's high prices. What goes 'round comes 'round...

There has been much outcry about Value Village's pricing polices on social media, but so far, that criticism has rolled off them like water off a duck's back. But then again, why would they change? People continue shopping there lemming-like even if they are grumbling between their teeth about the unrealistic prices there.

As for me, I refuse to donate anything to them as I am not about to subsidize that aggressive type of business model. I will, however, occasionally shop there as there have been times when I have come across some really special finds such as a pair of Louboutin mid-heel pumps that were priced waaay below market value since whoever did the pricing likely had no clue what this brand represented. But those types of finds are few and far between, and when I do shop there, I make sure that it is on a Tuesday when the normal 30% off seniors' discount applies.

there is an organization here called "my Girl Friends Closet" which I have donated to several times and also gained my items from
    I love the name of the organization, I thought it very appropriate
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Sallee

Silver Member
    The claims about executives of charities being paid too high and you should only donate to low paying charities is often inaccurate about the amounts they are paid.

What you are suggesting is that they should hire people that may not be qualified because you don't have to pay them as much. I've been involved with charities which had management problems. I've seen boards that were afraid to do anything and executives that should never have been hired but worked cheap. I've been the corporate exec loaned to be on their board. It is not easy to run a major charity. The talent to do so demands a competitive compensation or that person would go elsewhere. Most charities fail because of poor management. I have a good idea that most of the people on this board would not work for a charity at minimum wage. I've watched someone take over a charity and build it to the shining example for others. If they hadn't done it the charity would have collapsed.

I think you should donate to where you choose, but don't bad mouth major charities for paying for talent. Goodwill is often talked about, but few people could run a corporation of that size which does so many diverse things. Yes they maximize their prices. That is good management. Would you go into a store and say they should sell their clothes for less?