Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Make up fail

Make up fail

I don't go complete dress. No wig, but I did try eye make up and ended up looking like a mix of Alice cooper and dee Snyder. Frighting, so l just laughed and washed my face.

Banned Read only
    Practice, practice, practice...

We've all been there, Bobbysue.
    Persevere.

Banned Spammer
    Between here and there but mostly here close to the donuts.
    Oh yeah been there done that more than a few times lolol.
    To be honest I have more bad make up days than good ones.

Believe me, you're not the only.
    I would say that all of us here had lived a similar experience. In my case a worse than that, I had the guts to go on my car and drive around the neighborhood. Today I see those pics and feel embarrased..

After you washed, did you try the make up again? Practice is the secret...
    Watch some YouTube videos, some of them are specific for crossdressers by crossdresses.
    Last edited by Devi SM; 08-27-2019 at 08:32 PM.
    HRT 042018; Full time 032019
    Orchiectomy 062020; gender& name legal changed 102020
    Electrolysis face begins 082019, in genitals for GCS 062021
    Breast augmentation surgery 012022
    GCS 072022; BBL 022023; GCS revision 04203;END TRANSITION

YOULOVEMYTOES Palaina Nocturnus's Avatar
    I was told I looked like a clown by my ex wife cuz I had on hot pink lipstick, black uneven eyeliner with bright blue eye shadow lol I felt pretty until I saw a pic of me

Practice makes perfect and I'm still working on it. My profile pic shows how I do my makeup now. Everything blue lol

Keep at it, and yes YouTube what you'd like to know about makeup for us CDs

Banned Spammer
    Blue eye shadow went out of style in the 80s.
    Deff will not catch me in blue eye shadow.
    You Tube is where I learned most of my skills.
    If I still had my first pics I would show them but trust me they were horrible and I thought I looked pretty good at the time.
    Practice is what you need to do.Using a primer first really helps and for goodness sake don't cake on a bunch of make up.
    Last edited by Tracii G; 08-27-2019 at 09:21 PM.

Platinum Member
    My first attempt at makeup convinced me I didn’t know the first thing about makeup. I went to a department store and got lots of good instruction and the opportunity to practice under the watchful eyes of the SA. Her reward was a big sale, and mine was a baseline understanding. You have to make mistakes to learn.
    Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one.

Eleanor Roosevelt

I tried eyeliner once and decided it wasn’t for me. Foundation, blush, eyeshadow, lipstick and out the door.
    Carries a spray bottle of "pink fog" around with her in her purse at all times.

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar
    I'm glad u washed it off, Bobbysue!

I don't like anyone stealing MY LOOK!
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

Same here Bobbysue. Getting slightly better with a bit of practice, and there are great videos out there to help ... even if one is closeted and can only catch little snippets of them. Keep going, makeup seems like a very fun (?) part of this journey!
    Last edited by JuliaGirl; 08-30-2019 at 06:42 PM. Reason: spelling

My first "Real" attempt also went terribly wrong. I had no idea what I was doing and the first batch of makeup I bought was all such terrible quality and the completely wrong colors. After I had applied it all and took a real good look in the mirror I hated what I saw, washed it all off and did not try makeup again for years. Now it's my favorite part of my routine. It just takes some time and patience and most of all make sure you are having fun while doing it.

Cynthia.
    Be Yourself, And Be Fabulous While Doing it!

Silver Member
    BobbySue, consider thee facts .. you are 64 y/o. Your skin is not the same canvas for makeup as a 30 y/o person. You probably have hooded eyes due to your male brow bones. You probably used too much makeup to try to compensate for these 'male things.' Now, with that in mind, try again, but this time, NO foundation, no eye lining, just use very light applications of eye shadow, eyebrow color, light blush and lipstick. Then experiment (practice) with adding a LITTLE foundation, and eyeliner with a pencil. When you can, get your foundation matched to your skin tone. Go out of town if you need to, to feel safe in going to a MAC, Ulta or a Sephora's to get it done. I'm 85, and still practicing.

Agree with Jenny

I haven't read all the other comments and agree with her.
    I don't like foundation because you're going to look as a dry old cake, lol.
    I know is hard to go to a place like Ulta beauty or a similar one but I did it after sometime being a trasgender and had more experience being out but not with make up.
    I got a matched my skin tone concealer, no those orange color but one that really can apply just the areas I need and then, all my face looks better, then eyeliner, brows, blush, some lighter powder and a translucent, if course lipstick but now a 24 hours long last pretty good.
    To end I got a setting spray, I can scratch if itches, eat, etc without ha e to retouch the make up...
    I'm very happy, but as I said, practice....
    HRT 042018; Full time 032019
    Orchiectomy 062020; gender& name legal changed 102020
    Electrolysis face begins 082019, in genitals for GCS 062021
    Breast augmentation surgery 012022
    GCS 072022; BBL 022023; GCS revision 04203;END TRANSITION

If you just “give it a whack” I’m not surprised it didn’t turn out well. Not something that’s just instinctual. Watch some videos (there are a million out there) and learn some theory and technique first. Using a light touch also helps. It’s always easier to add more if you use too little than it is to undo too much.

Banned Spammer
    I don't use foundation either just primer and light make up.

Bobbysue,
    Been there done that! Major fail, but I think I've gotten a little better. Still have a long way to go...

Molly

I remember my first makeup attempt. I looked god awful. I drove down to the nearest gas station, got out of the car and was praying no one would see me lol. It gets better with practice.

Why not just do something simple.

I just color my eyelids, green or violet.

Latly I have been adding glitter under my brow with a little on the lid too. It's a young look. I received a complement from a waitress the other day. She even wanted details.

I was wearing green eye shadow . This is really the best for me as my eyes are green.

Of course I use eye primer and a finishing spray.

Bobby, You need to practice and watch youtube videos.
    Please call me Jamie, I always_have crossdressed, I always will, "alwayshave".

Banned Read only
    BobbySue,
    The point you didn't make was if you were just trying it out at home or stepped out in the RW .

At home makeup doesn't matter , use as little or as much as you like , you know how bad it looked and laughed at yourself , that's great next time it will be better .

Despite other comments don't be put off by your age , I'm a little older and wouldn't go out without makeup , the learning curve is how little , most Cders tend to overdo it .

Colour is the most important aspect , getting the foundation matched by a decent makeup retailer is the key , I use Boots . Once they have found the correct colour you then receive a chart of suggested colours to match the foundation depending on whether you are going out to do the supermarket shop or a night out . So I have a range of clours of lipstick , blusher and finishing powder that compliement my skin colour .

Blue eye makeup is still used but more in grey/blue/slate tones , I have blue eyes so the suggestion is don't use blue / grey colours but beige shades to bring warmth to the eyes . I was given a good tip by a GG to stop using eyeliner because it made my eyes look smaller , she was right , I now use a very light pencil on my upper lid to give the mascara a base . I use just enough mascara to emphasise my lashes but not clog them up . I use the Joan Collins tip to line my lips and then use the same clour to fill in before applying lipstick , this means the lipstick colours stays on better but as it gets worn off you pencil colour doesn't .

It is a case of practice but I can now do mine in a few minutes with predicatable results and be out the door dressed to get on with my jobs .
    Last edited by Teresa; 08-29-2019 at 10:56 AM.

As others have said, "been there done that", "we have all been there". I tended to go light and kinda liked the look, the hard part is getting it all off when you are done. Learned the hard way that waterproof doesn't wash off well at all with just soap and water, you have to have makeup remover arrg! Keep trying, look it up on the web, Youtube, and Wikipedia has some good tutorials too. Don't give up, if you look around here there are some amazing makeup "artists". Good luck

I've kept a picture diary of every time I wore a new out fit or changed my wig or makeup. Sometimes I look back just to see how far I've come instead of how far I have to go!
    Last edited by Joanne108; 08-30-2019 at 01:33 PM.

I've never had much trouble with makeup, but I started slowly taking one step at a time. I started with foundation only. Then eyebrow pencil. Then I worked on eyeliner. Then mascara, then eyeshadow, and finally blush and bronzer. Each step made me look more like me, but I didn't move on until I had mastered each step. Yes, I've had a few failures, but with one step at a time, they were small and correctable. Also, I started with the most conservative colors and worked up. No, I have never used blue eyeshadow. But I might some time.

Resident Polymath MarinaTwelve200's Avatar
    I've got to where usually two out of three times, I do an acceptable job---But I look REALLY Terrible (and old) when I mess up. Every now and then, it is spot-on perfect. I am often doing different looks and character makeups for my photographing too.