I have a neighbor, who we are quite close to, who has two young girls (6 & 3) that come over every now and again. We love those little girls as if they’re were like nieces or goddaughters to us.

Last week I came home in the evening from working out and came in wearing my black leggings and t-shirt I normally wear to the gym. The girls hear me come inside and come running toward me to give me hugs. The older one stops and takes a little step back, kinda leans her head at an angle looking at me and says, “are those... are those girl pants?”

”well, no. These are my pants and I’m not a girl am I?”
”No but... *turns her head the other side kinda like a puppy does at an odd sound* “they kinda look like...”
”Hm. Maybe but they’re my workout pants. They’re stretchy and help me keep covered when I bend down to do exercises.”

Not totally convinced of my answer she leaves it at that and I go into my bedroom while my wife and their mom continue talking. The little one just adores me and sits in my lap as I’m sitting on the floor cross legged. She pulls at my stretchy pants from the bottom at my calve and asks, “are theses Miss Jane’s?” (not my wife’s name but asking if my leggings are my wife’s) So I repeat what I’d said to older sister.

The older one now prancing around the room sees my wife’s bra hanging from a dresser drawer handle and says, “is this Miss Jane’s bra???” Kind of like she was asking why does she have this hanging out like this for the world to see. And I said it was and that she must have put it there to let it dry after washing it.

Then the little one asks, “ do YOU wear a bra?”
And I’m like... thinking “if you only knew kid.” But say, “well no. i don’t wear one.”
”Why? You don’t like them?”

By now I’m thinking I’m about to burst out laughing but say in as gentle and easy to understand way as I can, “No... it’s not that. They DO look nice.”

”Then why don’t you wear one?”
*dying inside of laughter* “well because my chest is small and I don’t really need. Miss Jane’s is bigger so she wears one.”

Then she touches my chest and kinda cocks her head to the side like a puppy does. And I’m thinking “my god what is she going to say next?” because I am a touch over weight... hence the need to go to the gym.

And she says, “Mommy wears a bra. Her chest is WAY bigger than yours. You don’t need to wear one.”