Thread: So Miss Bond, you want to go out

So Miss Bond, you want to go out

I recently penned a post about my upcoming week away and some of the planning that?s going in to it. This prompted me to think about what advice I?d give to a forum member considering going out for their first foray into the big wide world enfemme based on what experiences I?ve had. So here goes.

Have a plan. This may seem obvious but it?s too easy to just head out and end up winging and prayering it. Even if it?s just going out for a drive, decide where you?re going especially if you?re heading for somewhere away from where you?re known. Look on Google maps and street view. Being able to recognise the place you?re at can be a great comfort. Also stops you heading into an area that?s more than a bit unsavoury.

Don?t forget the obvious. Even if you think you might be brave, make sure you?ve enough fuel in the car. On an early week?s trip away I set off from home dressed in a hire car that I realised after I?d set off only had a quarter of a tank at best of fuel. That was the first time I had to stop and buy fuel. Thankfully I?d found a self-serve petrol station so didn?t have to face an SA for the first time. Still scary though and not what many would like to be faced with first time out.

Don?t, really I mean it, don?t have a glass of Dutch courage before setting off. Anything that clouds your judgement even slightly is to be avoided. Drink increases the chance of you making a bad decision. Doing something a sober head would yell no to. If by some bad luck you get stopped by the law, the smell of alcohol is enough to start you down a longer interaction than would otherwise take place. Read the forum, cops will deal with you professionally. Being dressed isn?t a crime. Drink driving is. I got stopped several times in the early days? of my night time drives. I was badly dressed in the SO?s cast offs. Stuff didn?t fit, fashion faux pas central. Not a chance of remotely passing. Nothing bad happened. I was sober, a quick check of details and on my way.

So, moving on, your one of those who?s done the driving thing and now want to progress to mixing with Jo public. There seem to be two biggies, going shopping and going to a pub/club/bar. Let?s deal with the second one first.

Do your research; look online to see if the place has a web site. Again look at Google street view to get a feel for the venue and it?s surroundings if it?s somewhere you?re not that familiar with. A pre visit in drab, even if it?s just a quick nose in the door to get a feel for the place can give you the confidence that you?re not walking into somewhere angels fear to tread. The first time I went to Manchester to meet other CD'ers I?d looked at street view. I knew where the car parks were, what route I?d take to get to the venue. I even knew what the parking fees were. So as I said earlier, when I arrived I recognised the roads, I wasn?t a complete stranger wondering around not sure of where to go. This is a huge comfort. You?ll be nervous and anything you can do to reduce the stress will go a long way to making your time much more enjoyable.

In a pub/club/bar, always trust your senses. If it feels wrong then it is, time to leave. You can?t reason with some who?s stupid drunk.

Shopping; going out in the day, mixing in with the crowds is so much easier and safer that your head will tell you it is. People generally haven?t been drinking the silly juice and that?s a big positive.

Again, have a plan in your head. Know what you want to achieve. ?I?m going to park there, it?s a short walk to the entrance?. I won?t dwell on the dress to blend bit but it is surprisingly easy to hide in plain sight if you dress and act like everyone else. Try it, you?ll soon realise it?s true.

I?ve written about my first shopping experience many times. Parked, sat there feeling very nervous. After a few minutes, deep breath, out the car, go for it. Walk into shop????no-one noticed me. Last year when I went to buy my first wig in person even though I?d spent many many hours out and about by then I knew what the shop front looked like, where the nearest, and next nearest, parking was. Again I wasn?t bumbling around like a stray tourist. I knew where to go and with that comes the confidence. Having this knowledge helps keep things calm, me being in control of the situation.

So yes I suppose after all that my advice is; plan. Remember, ?PPPPP?, Proper Planning Prevents Poor Presentation.
    Who dares wears Get in, get out without being noticed

Banned Read only
    hat's some serious over thinking there girl...

I have never gone out dressed with more than a vague idea of where I am going.

Just relax, make some plans, have a contingency plan just in case, but don't over think it, and don't get all flustered or disappointed when things don't work out as planned.

Those who fail to plan are always prepared for the unexpected...

I really try not to think about anything but feeling beautiful when out and about.I find I wear my angst on my face and it destroys the moment of feeling fully femme. Today I ran into the beauty supply and bough some fun color dye for some blond wigs that are not my best color. I let myself feel the woman inside and her beauty. It must work because I got the sweetest compliments from the lady ahead of me and the girl at the counter about my makeup and jewlery and that I looked happy. Needless to say I am on a pink cloud right now.
    Work on feeling that beautiful woman inside and giving her control, that was the single best thing I ever did, give control to my femme side. She knows what I need and I trust her

Roberta, Mariabella,

I know what you're saying but the post is aimed at those who have yet to go out. This forum is littered with "Looking to go out....but" in fact the post below this one speaks of just those fears and angst.

For those of us who have become comfortable with being in the outside world, yes we generally just sally forth and to a large extent play it by ear. That's all fine if you have an idea or knowledge of the area you're going to but the examples I've listed are me going to a city I've visited only a handful of time previously, one I'm really unfamiliar with so for me to follow the advice given in the staying safe thread seems to be the prudent thing to do. I could've gone totally blind at it. My satnav will take me right to the door but to then be driving around busy streets unfamiliar to me when for the sake of less time online than it takes me to write this post I can give myself a feel for the place seems just plain reckless. Also, what I didn't do was waste valuable time needlessly searching around for parking only then to be uncertain of my route back to the shop.

I plan to go back to the wig shop and now I know the area I'll do so in comfort and totally relaxed.

Thankfully there are rare posts of those who have had bad experiences on their first outing and it also became their one and only sortie out, too scared to repeat the exercise. Perhaps, just perhaps, a bit of better planning may have averted those bad experiences. Just saying.
    Who dares wears Get in, get out without being noticed