Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How easy are you to recognize when dressing?

Aspiring Member
    i closely resemble my late mom when i am dressed and in makeup, my wife believes i would be recognized by anyone who knows me

South west side or North west side? I live in south west side. SueanneW

I have had several encounters with people that I know, some of them quite well. I have never had an instance where someone recognized my male self. It is much less likely that I will be recognized if I am seen outside of my usual places. However, one time a neighbor came to my door and I interacted with her as if I were a visitor. She never seemed to realize who I really was.
    Hugs, Carole

Settled down for a few years in the Texas Hill Country
    The first time I dressed in public was a Halloween party. My wife and I went as French maids. Since this was a drag costume, I don't count it as my first time out as Lynne. The hostess saw me and laughed, then said I looked great. I walked up to a friend I hadn't seen in about ten years to say hi. He didn't recognize me. Same thing happened at a Halloween party we attended in latex nun outfits (long story, does not involve kink). Said hi to a woman who served on a local board with me, she was shocked. Considering I don't know diddly about makeup, I wonder what would happen if I had a professional or someone more practiced make me up.
    Lynne

You can friend me at on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/lynnesealytx. I don't post often, mainly lurk

I met an old next door neighbour and decided to introduce myself. She said she saw me coming and since I obviously knew her, she thought it was one of my female cousins maybe until I spoke and she recognised my voice

Unless someone would have the opportunity to study you (like in a restaurant), no one passing by you or me would make the mental connection. The human mind doesn't work that way. Now your neighbor, Mrs Kravitz (anyone get the reference?) is a nosy person with no life. Sorry you have to live next to an idiot. I have significant personal experience, no one will know it's "you".
    Visit Kandi's Land (http://www.kandis-land.com/) daily! Nothing but positive and uplifting posts!
    Pictures and stories of every time out: https://www.flickr.com/photos/131254150@N06/.

Oh yes exactly, she wouldn't have noticed me at all except I was clearly coming over to talk to her and she was trying to figure out who this might be outside the church in the old neighborhood. Even with all that context the best she could do was possibly one of the "Stephens" family, but not <my sister> so maybe a cousin or something.

I have walked past many people who should know me a lot better than that, and I don't worry about it any more.

Back in the day - I went to visit a friend to introduce my Sara side to her. She knew I was coming, and that I was going to be femme.
    When she opened the door, her reaction was "OH! You're not..." Then she hesitated, took a closer look, and said "OH, it IS you!"
    Her reaction was perfect and I believe it was sincere, and not faked.
    We had a lovely visit after that.
    Last edited by SaraLin; 09-21-2019 at 06:06 AM. Reason: typo fixes

Banned Read only
    Suzi,
    I know so !!
    Only last week I had the experience twice in a few minutes . I went out to my painting group and had to have a new tyre fitted , the lady that runs the tyre company knew me in male mode because I photographed her wedding , I had to tell her who I was before the penny dropped . Then ten minutes later I met a lady who I'd also photographed her wedding in the Art Centre entrance again I had to spell it out to her who I was .

Quite easy! my ears say it all I was once likened to wing nut!! true!
    I started life a lost man now I am a found woman

I don't think I am all that recognizable, not sure, I've never come across anybody I know while out and about. Just check the thread boy mode vs. girl mode and you'll see that most of the people that have posted here are really not recognizable once they are all dolled up.

We're not good judges of ourselves either though. I have a sister-in-law who knows me well in both modes and she was about to introduce me to another friend for the first time. I said I'm sure she'll recognise me anyway because I look much the same and my sister-in-law was like what are you *talking* about?

I would not be very easily recognized unless I was out somewhere with my wife and someone we knew saw here.
    They would then try to see if they knew me and I'm sure would put 2 and 2 together.

On my own no one would know. My wigs and clothing style are far different from what they would know.
    I don't wear women's clothes, I wear MY clothes !

And remember within this thread we're talking about people recognising that this person is you. Not whether they think it's a woman or not. That's a whole different thing and not necessarily connected

When I moved to a new town recently, and bought a house in early 2016, I was spending most of my social time female, but was still male if just hanging around the house. I decided I did not care if my neighbors saw me in both male and female presentation. One day my back fence neighbor showed up at my front door unexpectedly, to discuss plans for a new fence between our properties that we had agreed to split the cost on. She had previously only seen and talked to me as a man. She also knew I had an adult daughter living in my home, who she had not yet met. I was in full female mode, ready to go shop at the mall, when the doorbell rang. So I just answered the door, talking to her in my female voice, as if nothing was out of the ordinary. It was not until my daughter walked into the room that she realized she had been talking to me, and not my daughter. (She took it well, and just rolled with it as if nothing was amiss.) But her initial expectation was that if she saw a woman in my house who looked like me, it must be my daughter.

Context and expectations make a huge difference. In your driveway, beside your car, who would neighbors most expect to see? The people who they know live there, of course! So when your neighbor sees someone in your driveway, the first thing their mind does is try to determine if it is one of the people they expect to see there. And they knew what both you and your wife look like. Not your wife, sort of looks like you, must be you. But that same neighbor, if they passed close to you in a shopping mall or at some public event, might not even give you a second glance. Because they aren’t expecting to see you in that context, looking differently.

A year ago I started living full time female. As I met and talked with each neighbor, if they questioned my female appearance, I told them about my transitioning. Each has accepted me, and most never even questioned it. One male neighbor lives next door with two teenage sons. They all knew me only as a guy. Well, one day I was in the front yard, getting a planting area ready to plant a tree, and he shows up on the sidewalk after getting his mail at the box across the street. He talked to me using my male name, just casual banter about the weather and the like. No apparent concern about me having long hair, boobs, and other female traits. So I walked over to him and told him, “Just so you’ll know, my name is Ceera now. I am transgender, and have started living full time as a woman.” He just said, “Oh? Okay, my boys and I had seen you lately, and they had asked me how they should address you now.” I replied, “They should call me Ceera now, and use female pronouns.” We chatted more about my transition, and he, and his sons, were quite accepting. At one point he made the comment, “Well, your face hasn’t really changed very much.” So again, in the context of seeing a woman walking my dog, driving my car, and coming and going from my home, they looked more carefully at my face, and recognized me.

On the other hand, without those context clues, as a woman I look at least 20 years younger, and I have realistic looking long hair. I mostly socialize with lesbians, and am accepted by them as female, even though they know I am trans. I have a lesbian social friend, who had known me for years only as a woman, and had never seen me as a man, though she knew I was transgender. When shown a recent photo of me as a guy, her reaction was, “Oh hell no! If I saw you like that at a mall, I would have walked right past you without a second glance! I mean, no offense, but I would have clocked you as ‘straight white guy’ and wouldn’t have thought anything further.”
    Last edited by Ceera; 09-21-2019 at 01:32 PM.

No wat I wouldn't be recognized I don't think you could do enough to hide this face.
    Angie

Totally unrecognizable! Well, except my dog! Lol!

I don't pass as a woman if seen from close range, but I do change my appearance enough not to be recognisable as me right away. But I'm still not sure if that would be enough on a close distance with people who know me, so I rather avoid them. Car is more of a problem, but I still go out fully dressed at night in my own car. If someone would see a woman driving my car, I have an excuse ready. I just hope no one would recognise a crossdresser while coming out of the car or stop next to me at the traffic light and see me from close distance.

Banned Read only
    I went to a party last weekend dressed, there was a couple there that I had only met me once and in guy mode, probably six months ago.

They recognized me immediately.

Resident Polymath MarinaTwelve200's Avatar
    Not recognizable at ALL----I look drastically DIFFERENT-----even in my several FEMALE modes
    Attached Images Attached Images

Silver Member
    With modest makeup, when I don my wig, I'm a different person. My sister didn't recognize me when I was at the airport to pick her up. I'm 85, and IMHO, look at least 20 years younger when fully pretty.

May have been spotted two weeks ago walking home. Had dinner with friends who picked me up, and wife and I decided to walk (3 doors) home since it was dark. What could go wrong? Bam! Neighbor's car comes over the hill. Hid my face from high beams and haven't heard any neighborhood rumblings. Yet.

On-point answer: Could not pass as GG, but not sure if "I" would be recognized.

Earlier today I was shopping in a nearby town and was buying some winter tights. It was only wheneed I got to the sales counter that I realised that I knew the sales assistant very well. He is a member of one of my fraternal groups. It was too late to retreat, butility there was no sign that he recognised me at all. It will be interesting to see if there are any comments at our next society meeting.

Aspiring Member
    I think context is the more important thing for be recognized. By my self I think I only slightly look like myself. But if I were with my sister most people would put 2+2 together.
    Sara.

I’ve had my neighbors ask who the lady was there, not sure if they had seen and was inquiring, as they seen her but didn’t see my truck there and thought it was someone else.

Pretty in Pink